Battle of Omaha: A Football Concept for Schools without Football

jn8

Hey everyone, welcome to my first post! I've been visiting these boards for a while now, I found them around the time the Buccaneers unveiled their new uniforms and finally registered a few months back and now after all that time I've finally decided to start contributing lol. 

Now to the concept. First off, I'm not great with computers. These are hand drawn. If that's a turn off for you, I apologize, but you can feel free to leave if that's not what you like. The background on this is simple, I'm a freshman at UNO and I love football, but we don't have a team. I got bored during lecture in class and instead of taking notes, I started doodling (like a good student) and came up with a helmet I kinda liked and later designed a full uniform around it.

The helmet is red and features the horns of the maverick logo on the sides instead of a logo, similar to how the Eagles use the wings. The jersey's sleeves have a traditional style striping, but with a modern twist in the word mark featured in the middle stripe, heavily inspired by the Detroit Lions. The number font is the same one used across all sports. The pants are red and have the same striping pattern as the jersey, minus the word mark. 

On the other side, I designed a uniform for Creighton, another school in town without football, simply for the sake of creating a hypothetical "Battle of Omaha" rivalry series. For Creighton, I used an all-white uniform. The top of the Jay logo is used on the sleeve caps and at the top of the pant stripes. the logo transitions into the silver-navy-royal-navy-silver stripe featured on the pants and helmets.

Without further ado, here they are:

dnPWWaE.jpg

Even though I'm not a fan of hand-drawn concepts, I really like your take on both UNO and Creighton.

The last time that your school had football, their uniforms were... um... let's just say they're templated ("Hey, it's Greg Zuerlein from the LA Rams!"). But, if ever the Mavs bring back football, you should give this concept to whoever's the contact person in the athletics department. I especially love your take on the helmet. I know that there are few helmets out there that feature horns, and this one's very unique.

As for Creighton, I think it's a good decision making the blue jay head logo as the helmet decal rather than a wing logo inspired by the top of the blue jay head (it would be redundant if the wing was used). Like UNO, if Creighton decides to bring back football, then they should use your design. I know that there's already a Creighton concept before you unveiled yours, but I guess you're united on how the Bluejays' football uniforms should look like.

This is a great concept overall. I'm anticipating for the full sets of both teams.

Not to rain on the parade, but the Mavs won't have football anytime soon.  This is still a great concept, though, and I like the execution.

The real world limitations came when UNO and UNL struck an agreement to not compete for instate recruits.  UNO wanted to move up their hockey program to Division-I, but obviously UNL did not want to compete for instate recruiting against the Huskers.  Since both are part of the UN University System and both would now compete in D-I, they struck an agreement where the Mavs would not sponsor football and the Huskers would not sponsor hockey.

Probably a smart move as UNO football was nothing special but their hockey team is amazing.  Same for UNL with Husker football.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Appreciate the comments everyone! Yeah, i realize there’s a 0.00001% chance of us ever bringing back football, but a guy can hope, right? :P

There’s a chance I *might* design full sets around these, but that’s time dependent and I’ve actually been working on something else lately. Again, thanks for the replies, it means a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 9:34 AM, pianoknight said:

Not to rain on the parade, but the Mavs won't have football anytime soon.  This is still a great concept, though, and I like the execution.

The real world limitations came when UNO and UNL struck an agreement to not compete for instate recruits.  UNO wanted to move up their hockey program to Division-I, but obviously UNL did not want to compete for instate recruiting against the Huskers.  Since both are part of the UN University System and both would now compete in D-I, they struck an agreement where the Mavs would not sponsor football and the Huskers would not sponsor hockey.

Probably a smart move as UNO football was nothing special but their hockey team is amazing.  Same for UNL with Husker football.  

This info is greatly appreciated. I never understood why they dropped football and, now that I know why I feel like UNO was strong armed a little. Kinda like Alabama and UAB a few years ago except UNO apparently just laid down and said okay. Oan the concepts here are great and both look like realistic proposals.

17 minutes ago, qckgnc said:

This info is greatly appreciated. I never understood why they dropped football and, now that I know why I feel like UNO was strong armed a little. Kinda like Alabama and UAB a few years ago except UNO apparently just laid down and said okay. Oan the concepts here are great and both look like realistic proposals.

Probably similar to the Alabama-UAB situation, although in this case the Mavs wanted to protect their hockey interests, opposed to UAB who just got shut down.  In the Alabama case I believe the reagents basically forced the decision on UAB.  This one was a bit more mutually beneficial.

Nebraska plays in the Big Ten (hockey heaven) and I'm sure they'd love to be able to compete with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan.  That being said, Priority #1 is the protection of Cornhusker football (followed by Ladies' Volleyball) so I can see why they both agreed to the deal.  It's a win-win for both schools to safeguard their best sport and not have to compete with each other for recruits.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, Section30 said:

Trust me, the Big Ten is NOT hockey heaven, the NCHC and Hockey East are both just as good if not better.

I had to look both of those organizations up and I've never heard of about 1/3rd of the member schools.

I don't doubt your point though. I'm not a hockey fan, so perhaps I need to rephrase. The Big Ten is hockey heaven for major FBS/Power5 teams who also want to play in a conference with basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc... 

In other words, Wisconsin or Minnesota isn't giving up Big Ten membership any time soon. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived