2018 NBA "Off"Season-Because It's Always On

buzzcut

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

So, when we look back at Dan Gilbert, what are we going to think of first? Is he going to be seen as the sports owner who broke a half-century title drought for the city of Cleveland, or is he going to primarily be seen as the owner who had probably the second greatest player in the history of the game, and who grew up right next door, and still found a way to run him off TWICE? 

When you really think about it, that’s AMAZING. 

Yes.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

36 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Eastern Conference Basketball is Fun Again!

If finding out who gets to get crushed in the NBA Finals is fun, then yeah, sure, it's fun.

This has to be the tipping point that gets the NBA to a pure 1-16 playoff seeding, right?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

5 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

So, when we look back at Dan Gilbert, what are we going to think of first? Is he going to be seen as the sports owner who broke a half-century title drought for the city of Cleveland, or is he going to primarily be seen as the owner who had probably the second greatest player in the history of the game, and who grew up right next door, and still found a way to run him off TWICE? 

That part is a weak, tired take.  No disrespect. 

8 hours ago, jn8 said:

Is it wrong of me, as a Lakers fan, to absolutely hate this signing? Though I admittedly lost most of my interest in the NBA over recent years, I was finally starting to regain a bit of it watching the past season with Kuzma, Zo, Ingram, Randle, and Hart and I was hoping to see the young core develope organically, now it’s likely they’ll get shipped as soon as LeBron needs a scapegoat. Likely not the most popular take, but I just need it off my chest.

Eh, if you wanted to have the Lakers become the Raptors or Clippers (really good for a long time, but never great), then sure. But that core was always going to need a free agent signing.

6 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

When you really think about it, that’s AMAZING. 

It should be the latter. Owners don't deserve to get credit for spending money while running sports teams -- that's the whole point! If you're a super rich guy who buys a sports team and doesn't want to spend money, that's bad sure, but "rich guy spends money on toy" is hardly something that's worth getting credit for.

The only reason Gilbert broke the drought is because LeBron wanted to come back, play for a guy he clearly hates, just to win a championship for Cleveland.

LeBron leaving to go play with Lance Stephenson and JaVale McGee a month after he spent the whole Finals talking about wanting to play with high IQ players is an abject failure on the part of the Cavs front office, which comes back to the ownership that couldn't resist meddling in the previous, actually good, front office's work.

That the Cavs didn't even try to iron things out with Kyrie, a perennial All-Star with two years left on his contract, and instead shipped him off for a glorified sack of baseballs because Dan Gilbert likes short dudes is :censored:ing absurd. That Gilbert's franchise value was about slashed in half yesterday is the least he deserves.

Unfortunately, the City of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County are still on the hook for $70 million in arena renovations for that :censored:. :censored: him.

6fQjS3M.png

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's important to remember that there are Lakers fans (they're good) and then there are LeBron James fans (they're bad). Enjoy the show!

I know pretty horrible fans from both camps. Granted some new age Warrior fans (2015-now) from Anaheim probably just ordered Lebron James jerseys yesterday too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

If finding out who gets to get crushed in the NBA Finals is fun, then yeah, sure, it's fun.

This has to be the tipping point that gets the NBA to a pure 1-16 playoff seeding, right?

Nope, because they'll be counting the money from Warriors vs Lakers games in February. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Eastern Conference Basketball is Fun Again!

Totally disagree.  With Lebron on the Cavs, they weren't that much better than everyone else (and arguably not better than the Celtics, and not too-much better than the Sixers) but at least as a fan of an Eastern team, we got to see him several times per year.  Now, on the west coast, Eastern fans won't see him live much (if at all), and won't see much of him on TV since those games start so late.

I'd rather the Sixers lose to Lebron but at least get to see him than make it to the Finals only to get swept by any team that makes it out of that conference.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, truepg said:

Time to get rid of Lue. I actually liked the stretch with Larry Drew at the helm during Lue's absence. 

The first big losing streak will probably see him fired. Gilbert won't hire a mid-level coach though so it's up to the Indians to get the city another championship. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I’ve heard that when Lebron went back to cleveland in 2014, his family (wife, specifically) was NOT happy. I’d assume it has something to do with the disrespect they felt he got from the city as well as the fact that Ohio winters are miserable. All of that makes sense. This move kind of feels like it may be a bit of a repayment for that. Considering that Lebron was kinda backed into a corner of not so great options, this move makes sense for that alone. 

Actually it was his mother Gloria who was pissed about him returning to Cleveland. She loved the nightlife in Miami. I'm sure she'll enjoy it in Los Angeles too.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The first big losing streak will probably see him fired. Gilbert won't hire a mid-level coach though so it's up to the Indians to get the city another championship. 

Ty Lue is set to make $21 million over the next three years. He ain't going anywhere for a little while -- why fire a coach if you're taking anyway?*

*Cavs Dan is probably going to do the "half-heartedly compete" thing, isn't he?

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

Ty Lue is set to make $21 million over the next three years. He ain't going anywhere for a little while -- why fire a coach if you're taking anyway?*

*Cavs Dan is probably going to do the "half-heartedly compete" thing, isn't he?

Ugghhh!!!! What happens if he has to take time off to deal with this crap? I think not having Lebron and most likely not having a new mid-level free agent coming in could be good for Cleveland. I think they're on track to host the 2020 or 2021 All Star Game so that gives them a little bit of time to get rid of some of those bloated contracts that they have now.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The first big losing streak will probably see him fired. Gilbert won't hire a mid-level coach though so it's up to the Indians to get the city another championship

I don't see that, the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros continue to get better.

The Indians haven't done anything and Lindor has no interest in signing an extension. I'd be shocked if they even made it back to the World Series before the rebuilding starts.

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ugghhh!!!! What happens if he has to take time off to deal with this crap? I think not having Lebron and most likely not having a new mid-level free agent coming in could be good for Cleveland. I think they're on track to host the 2020 or 2021 All Star Game so that gives them a little bit of time to get rid of some of those bloated contracts that they have now.  

Cavs should actually use their situation to take on more long-term money and help teams get out of bad deals for a few years.

There's only one more fully guaranteed year on the Hill and Smith contracts -- the Cavs should take on a similarly bad two- or three-year contract from a club looking to clear some cap space.

Clarkson and Thompson's deals are only through 2020 anyway -- the contract situation's actually pretty solid for the Cavs beyond that.

Love will be interesting -- should be able to move him for something to a contending team, even with the caveat that he's got a player option for 2019-20.

Cavs are in a fine position, especially if they tank. Owe a top-10-protected pick to Atlanta in 2019 or 2020, but if the Cavs are in the top 10 each year, it'll convey as two seconds in 2021 and 2022 (which would mean they don't have a second-rounder again until 2023). See if you can't acquire some picks, even if second-round, in Hill and Smith salary-geared deals, and buy your way into the second round a couple times to help re-stock the pipeline.

Sexton is obviously a piece you'd like to think can pan-out long term, and Osman and Nance should be solid players for the franchise moving forward. Not sure they really have anything else, though, but at least they're starting this rebuild with some level of promising youth (unlike 2010).

6fQjS3M.png

12 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't see that, the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros continue to get better.

The Indians haven't done anything and Lindor has no interest in signing an extension. I'd be shocked if they even made it back to the World Series before the rebuilding starts.

So you're saying the Browns by maybe 2021 is the best chance for a trophy? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So you're saying the Browns by maybe 2021 is the best chance for a trophy? 

I don't think any Cleveland team can win a championship anytime soon. But, if I had to pick one to win a trophy in the next ten years it might be the Browns. But that's more indicative of the way the NFL is built. There's no super teams, market size doesn't matter, salary caps, etc.

MLB is built for big markets and the NBA is built for superteams.

Indians have the best shot by default because they're leading the worst division in baseball and will get to skip the Wildcard game. And the baseball playoffs being the baseball playoffs they could go on a wild run. Similarly built teams have won the World Series in this era. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Indians have the best shot by default because they're leading the worst division in baseball and will get to skip the Wildcard game. And the baseball playoffs being the baseball playoffs they could go on a wild run. Similarly built teams have won the World Series in this era. 

Also any team with 4 of the top 25 or so starters in baseball, and (if healthy) Andrew Miller and Cody Allen has a chance to win 3/5 or 4/7 games off anyone.

That said, let's try to stay on topic and chat about the NBA in here -- we can talk specifics on baseball in the MLB thread.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived