buzzcut

2018 NBA "Off"Season-Because It's Always On

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

1.  That's next year's problem.

2.  Which of Iguodala and Livingston would command starter money for a contender?

Neither Livingston (33 after next season) nor Igdodala (to be 35) aren't getting Starters money next offseason, even with the cap increasing by $8-9M.

Plus Lacob and Guber seem comfortable paying the repeater tax since the Chase Center will booked solid with events, regardless of how many STH they retain from Oracle.

6 hours ago, verno said:

So, we have lived in the Atlanta area since 2011. My wife is a diehard Celtic fan, apparently she has no worries this fall! But l grew up in rural Missouri with no real NBA team, but l have latched onto the Hawks carefully.? Can anyone explain what this seemingly lost franchise is doing? 

Not to my knowledge, no.

25 minutes ago, See Red said:

While who do you think is an obnoxious know-it-all who isn't half as smart as he believes he is, I don't know that he's wrong on what Boogie's going to bring to the table for the Warriors.  Calling Boogie "useless" is clearly asinine, but he is still coming off of a torn achilles and will have to make significant changes to the way he has played just to fit Golden State's system.  That he's a head case and we don't really know how he's going to respond to decreased usage or possibly not being on the court in high leverage situations doesn't make things any better.

Also, will he be on the court in high leverage situations?  He's going to be a liability on defense, he's a turnover machine, and he'll slow down the Warriors pace.

All of this is perfectly valid. I, for one, feel that some of these issues are and have been a bit overblown for various different reasons, but the criticisms and concerns are all still valid. I just think that it’s such a uniquely small risk for the Warriors, and the potential upside is so high that it makes any potential risk totally worth it. The injury is worse than expected and he doesn’t play a game? No problem. He got to rehab in a world class facility at little cost to the Warriors. He acts like a nutcase? Not to worry! Ship his ass off to Timbuktu and eat the little remaining in costs. He’s healthy and he’s not being a crazy ass but he just doesn’t quite fit with what your doing? Trade him for assets! 

And to think, they’re doing all of this in a time when teams like the Trailblazers are paying a guy like Evan Turner more than $70 million. How do divides like that even happen in today’s NBA? 

17 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

All of this is perfectly valid. I, for one, feel that some of these issues are and have been a bit overblown for various different reasons, but the criticisms and concerns are all still valid. I just think that it’s such a uniquely small risk for the Warriors, and the potential upside is so high that it makes any potential risk totally worth it. The injury is worse than expected and he doesn’t play a game? No problem. He got to rehab in a world class facility at little cost to the Warriors. He acts like a nutcase? Not to worry! Ship his ass off to Timbuktu and eat the little remaining in costs. He’s healthy and he’s not being a crazy ass but he just doesn’t quite fit with what your doing? Trade him for assets! 

And to think, they’re doing all of this in a time when teams like the Trailblazers are paying a guy like Evan Turner more than $70 million. How do divides like that even happen in today’s NBA? 

Can't disagree with any of this. They're in a place where they can handle the risk without issue if it doesn't work out.

The upside is so insanely high the risk is hardly even a consideration. 

The starting line up come April is going to be the best PG and SG in the league, the second best player in the world, the best defensive player in the game, and whatever Boogie is, potentially the best center in the league

besides, what else could they have done with the MLE? 

Rumor has it that the Spurs what this haul from the Lakers for Kawhi Leonard: Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, 2 First Round Picks and 2 draft pick swaps

giphy.gif

Spurs have to know full well that the Lakers wouldn't do this so that's what they asked for. 

Kawhi to the Clippers or Sixers if the Spurs trade him?  Another supposed rumor is that Kawhi isn't to keen on going to the Lakers now that LeBron is there. 

6 hours ago, Wings said:

Rumor has it that the Spurs what this haul from the Lakers for Kawhi Leonard: Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, 2 First Round Picks and 2 draft pick swaps

giphy.gif

Spurs have to know full well that the Lakers wouldn't do this so that's what they asked for. 

Kawhi to the Clippers or Sixers if the Spurs trade him?  Another supposed rumor is that Kawhi isn't to keen on going to the Lakers now that LeBron is there. 

Kawhi needs to figure out if wins are more important than being "the man". If he doesn't he might as well just sit out the year. Obviously the Spurs don't expect to get all those pieces but if they've decided to start over again getting as many youngsters as possible. Tony Parker may play next year but after that he needs to go. Manu still contributes but I think he'll be done this season or at least when Pop goes.

7 hours ago, Wings said:

giphy.gif

Reports on Monday were that in order to trade Leonard to the Sixers, SAS wanted three 1st Round pics and two current players while the counteroffer was Saric, Covington, and Miami's unprotected pick for 2021.

SAS can basically wait until December 15 at the earliest and the trade deadline at the latest.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Reports on Monday were that in order to trade Leonard to the Sixers, SAS wanted three 1st Round pics and two current players while the counteroffer was Saric, Covington, and Miami's unprotected pick for 2021.

SAS can basically wait until December 15 at the earliest and the trade deadline at the latest.

Does Leonard minus Saric put them over the Celtics?  From what "basketball people" tell me, it still might not be enough, and even if so, they'd be swept in the finals.  

I really hope they don't make a deal unless they can guarantee he's staying for 4 years.  Trading Saric and future pics for a rental would be crapping all over The Process.

Posted (edited)

There's another part of the Lonzo Ball struggles/issues which really weren't known.

In February 2017, him mom, Tina Ball, suffered a massive stroke. Kent Babb of the Washington Post covers her recovery and her struggles to speak.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/06/14/feature/lavar-balls-wifes-quiet-recovery/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dec1aa710788

Babb talked about it deeply on the Tim Bontemps Washington Post podcast.

Edited by dfwabel

28 minutes ago, OaklandIsBack said:

^ yeah I'm gonna assume it has more to do with his jumper coming from his left ear

Ladies and Gentlemen, Donell Jones apparently back to tell us what's up, but with NBA players.

Tony Parker to the.....Charlotte Hornets.

DSvY8Nc.gif

Now that Lebron has gone West, who's the team to beat in the Central? Gotta be Milwaukee. I think with Indiana, everything sort of went their way last year. They're still a playoff team, but not as good a record this coming season. I hope this is the year the Pistons finally pull it together. The Central is wide open now.

There's basically 9 playoff teams in the East, with Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Miami, Washington and Indiana pretty much playoff locks. I think the last spot belongs to either Detroit or Charlotte (who got rid of Howard and whose last couple of drafts have been solid)

I've said this a lot throughout the last few years, but the Spurs time of contending is over.

And hey, Carmelo is leaving OKC. I bet he tries to join one of his "Banana Boat" pals.

Tony Parker is reportedly out of San Antonio. Probably won't fix issues Kawhi had, Tony was the one giving him the most grief, but Tony's been banged up for so long I couldn't see him getting through the season. Clears a spot for trades though.

No dimensional Carmelo can join up with old-aid portion of the Lakers.

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Tony Parker to the.....Charlotte Hornets.

DSvY8Nc.gif

Now that Lebron has gone West, who's the team to beat in the Central? Gotta be Milwaukee. I think with Indiana, everything sort of went their way last year. They're still a playoff team, but not as good a record this coming season. I hope this is the year the Pistons finally pull it together. The Central is wide open now.

There's basically 9 playoff teams in the East, with Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Miami, Washington and Indiana pretty much playoff locks. I think the last spot belongs to either Detroit or Charlotte (who got rid of Howard and whose last couple of drafts have been solid)

And Kyle Anderson just signed an offer sheet with the Grizzlies.

16 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I've said this a lot throughout the last few years, but the Spurs time of contending is over.

And hey, Carmelo is leaving OKC. I bet he tries to join one of his "Banana Boat" pals.

I've been saying this for years as well, but they keep drafting these "nobodies" who turn into very good and sometimes great players. 

Bulls are gonna pay Zach LaVine $20m a year for four years. Yikes. 

The token "you can't say Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't spend money" signing while continuing to operate the team in a way that isn't meant to compete for titles

EDIT: this was to match an offer sheet from Sacramento?!? GarPax getting outmaneuvered by the front office that thought the Kings should play a man down on defense so that there's a fifth guy hanging around the other basket. Oh well, should still be 41 nights of well-behaved, well-sponsored fun at the United Center.