2018 NBA "Off"Season-Because It's Always On

buzzcut

Moving into the old Forum would  continue the legacy of encroaching on the Lakers (plus design-wise it's still one of my all-time favourite arenas), which means embracing their legacy, buying it from MSG & moving there is what they should totally do. :P

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Forum isn't really set up for sports, at least not modern-revenue-stream NBA. They should stay where they are; Los Angeles doesn't really need another arena.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Forum isn't really set up for sports, at least not modern-revenue-stream NBA. They should stay where they are; Los Angeles doesn't really need another arena.

Can confirm.

Also, where the Clippers are headed, they don't really need another arena either.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Can confirm.

Also, where the Clippers are headed, they don't really need another arena either.

Yep, since the new Seattle Center Arena will be already sitting there when their lease is up ?

VmWIn6B.png

Dwight Howard to the Nets for Mozgov, cash and second-round picks. Okay.

I guess nice of Mitch Kupchak to bring his mistakes with him to Charlotte?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Yep, since the new Seattle Center Arena will be already sitting there when their lease is up ?

Thankfully, Ballmer isn't dumb enough to downgrade the team he paid $2 billion for from the #2 market to the #12 market. Hence why he's building an arena in Inglewood instead.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I think this will help the Nets because even though Howard is older, he's a considerable savings compared to Mozgov. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd agree with you if the taxpayers were being asked to foot the bill, but the Clippers' new arena is going to be entirely privately funded.

It's also a good financial decision for the Clippers to get their own arena where they're the primary tenants instead of the current arrangement at Staples, where they're an afterthought when it comes to scheduling and get a smaller share of revenue than the Lakers and Kings.

xLmjWVv.png

57 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Easier to dump Dwight's contract than Batum's four years at equal money. They're really close to the tax threshold.

The UNC duo in charge doesn't really include Kupchak, it's Jordan and his former roommate.  Not Davis Love III, but former NCAA coach and current assistant GM Buzz Peterson.

Don't worry, Jordan will override Mitch tomorrow and draft a combo guard to replace Kemba, as Mitch will be forced to trade him soon.

Kemba and his agent really played it poorly, how's he only making $12M/ year?

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think this will help the Nets because even though Howard is older, he's a considerable savings compared to Mozgov. 

Opens up space for 2 max contracts in 2019 too.

#lebron&durant2nets2019

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's the same money, Mozgov is just spread out over three years compared to two.  The Hornets save $6M in payroll in each of the next two seasons.

1 minute ago, Kaz said:

Opens up space for 2 max contracts in 2019 too.

#lebron&durant2nets2019

With Russell there it gives them a somewhat veteran point guard and it's more stable than the Knicks so it could happen.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'd agree with you if the taxpayers were being asked to foot the bill, but the Clippers' new arena is going to be entirely privately funded.

It's also a good financial decision for the Clippers to get their own arena where they're the primary tenants instead of the current arrangement at Staples, where they're an afterthought when it comes to scheduling and get a smaller share of revenue than the Lakers and Kings.

All of that is well and good. Really, I get why the Clippers would want their own arena, and if they can pay for it themselves, all the better.

The problem is the Los Angeles area doesn't need another arena, let alone one two blocks away from another classic arena. A classic arena that was recently remodeled into one of the premier concert venues in the area. A classic arena that was home to the height of the Lakers franchise.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

https://la.curbed.com/platform/amp/2018/6/19/17480328/inglewood-lawsuit-clippers-arena-housing

[insert sad trombone sound here]

Yeah the Clippers franchise is worth more in L.A but they would be beloved more in Seattle than playing second fiddle to the Lakers for eternity. Profit over prosperity I guess. 

43 minutes ago, Wings said:

Yeah the Clippers franchise is worth more in L.A but they would be beloved more in Seattle than playing second fiddle to the Lakers for eternity. Profit over prosperity I guess. 

But would Ballmer give up the Clippers name? Being loved is one thing, having to give up certain parts of your identity for that love is a different story. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

But would Ballmer give up the Clippers name? Being loved is one thing, having to give up certain parts of your identity for that love is a different story. 

I think he would gladly give up the Clippers name for the Sonics name.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not surprising. There's been legal battles surrounding the arena pretty much since it was announced. That being said, this was also the case with the Rams' stadium in Inglewood and that is under construction now.

Judging from the article, this particular lawsuit seems to be about the city of Inglewood shirking their obligation to build affordable housing rather than anything the Clippers are doing.

xLmjWVv.png

Inglewood is a terrible location, and Ballmer should have targeted the San Fernando Valley. By itself the Valley has a higher population than most NBA cities, and there's pretty much nothing there in terms of attractions besides Universal Studios. Inglewood just sucks and has no decent public transportation.

Archived