2018 NBA Post Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, The ECF is really just a formality at this point. We all know The West team is winning. 

Same applies for The NHL as well. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

At least the NHL is going to give us a different look in June- no Pens, no Preds, no big markets, none of the usual suspects.

If we get Cavs/Warriors part infinity, I'm going to embrace Vegas/whoever because at least it's something different.

Like, let's be honest- the Pens/Wings Cup Finals 2008-2009 back to back years feel more like an exception.

5 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

At least the NHL is going to give us a different look in June- no Pens, no Preds, no big markets, none of the usual suspects.

If we get Cavs/Warriors part infinity, I'm going to embrace Vegas/whoever because at least it's something different.

Like, let's be honest- the Pens/Wings Cup Finals 2008-2009 back to back years feel more like an exception.

Well except for Tampa making it again for the 2nd time in 4 years. <_<

Feels more like 3/4 since they made the ECF in 2016. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

Just now, ozzyman314 said:

Well except for Tampa making it again for the 2nd time in 4 years. <_<

Feels more like 3/4 since they made the ECF in 2016. 

Yeah, but they only have 1 Cup and that was a LONG time ago with nobody from that 2004 team around.

Plus, it has a different dynamic. And a guy like Stamkos having a chance for Finals redemption is compelling.

5 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Yeah, but they only have 1 Cup and that was a LONG time ago with nobody from that 2004 team around.

Plus, it has a different dynamic. And a guy like Stamkos having a chance for Finals redemption is compelling.

And Washington doesn’t have any, and hadn’t even made the ECF in nearly 30 years. 

The only thing more boring is if Pittsburgh made it for the 3rd straight year. 

Tampa is really the only team that could make me hope The Golden Knights win. 

For all the complaints about them, they’re atleast something new & different. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

Please stop trying to defend the Lightning as something fresh. They're a boring regular with incredibly boring uniforms and a Cup this millennium. Them winning would be a huge kick in the balls after such a wild postseason.

53Ocz8U.png

14 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

If Bettman had any semblance of a clue, the NHL would already be working overtime to promote the contrast between an expansion team in the Cup Finals and yet another predictable coronation for the Warriors superteam.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

12 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

If Bettman had any semblance of a clue, the NHL would already be working overtime to promote the contrast between an expansion team in the Cup Finals and yet another predictable coronation for the Warriors superteam.

Yeah...they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube so they may as well embrace this.  In general, the unpredictability of the NHL playoffs is an advantage (particularly at this moment in time, given where the NBA is).  

I'll take the Golden State coronation over an expansion champion any day, but I know a lot of fans are growing frustrated with what's going on in the NBA right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

In general, the unpredictability of the NHL playoffs is an advantage (particularly at this moment in time, given where the NBA is).  

I think that perceived randomness is a bad thing for pro sports.  I want the true best teams to win, maybe with the occasional cinderella, but if a hot goalie or just "the breaks" can carry a 500 team to the finals any given year, that doesn't speak well of the sport IMO.  I get that the VGK (what stupid initials) were more than a 500 team with a hot goalie, but it still doesn't look great.

I don't know anything about the expansion draft, and can't name any VGK player besides their goalie (MAF, right?), so I have no idea how good they really are or how they got that way, but I'll fess up here - while I don't like this at all, I'd feel totally differently if a Quebec, or Seattle, or Hartford team was going on this run, and I'd dislike it nearly as much if an expansion Houston, Orlando, or OKC team was doing it.

I know that makes me a horrible person, but sorry - not sorry. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think that perceived randomness is a bad thing for pro sports.  I want the true best teams to win, maybe with the occasional cinderella, but if a hot goalie or just "the breaks" can carry a 500 team to the finals any given year, that doesn't speak well of the sport IMO.  I get that the VGK (what stupid initials) were more than a 500 team with a hot goalie, but it still doesn't look great.

I don't know anything about the expansion draft, and can't name any VGK player besides their goalie (MAF, right?), so I have no idea how good they really are or how they got that way, but I'll fess up here - while I don't like this at all, I'd feel totally differently if a Quebec, or Seattle, or Hartford team was going on this run, and I'd dislike it nearly as much if an expansion Houston, Orlando, or OKC team was doing it.

I know that makes me a horrible person, but sorry - not sorry. 

I am very much with you.  As fun as the NCAA tournament is it’s a terrible way to crown a champion.  I think the randomness of hockey is enough that the integrity of the championship would be well-served if they cut the number of postseason teams in half.

But most fans, particularly the casual ones leagues want to attract in the postseason don’t get to hung up on the integrity of the title race.  I think this is something that the NHL could try to exploit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I am very much with you.  As fun as the NCAA tournament is it’s a terrible way to crown a champion.  I think the randomness of hockey is enough that the integrity of the championship would be well-served if they cut the number of postseason teams in half.

But most fans, particularly the casual ones leagues want to attract in the postseason don’t get to hung up on the integrity of the title race.  I think this is something that the NHL could try to exploit.

Actually, since the NCAA went to a seeding format in 1979:

34 of 39 National Champions were a top 3-seed.

23 of those 34 were 1-seeds.

While there are plenty of upsets and variation along the way, the NCAA tournament is actually a fantastic way of determining a champion based on the best teams winning

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

This Celtics team has no composure away from their home floor. Zero. They give up two made shots in a row and the refs miss a call and immediately they're reduced to blowing dunks and arguing with the refs in the backcourt while the Cavs get out in transition. It's to be expected given their age, but still.

Archived