1 minute ago, rams80 said:

Yes, if only because Jordan would have literally murdered the offending player the moment it happened.

I don’t know if LeBron has the patience of a monk or was just too stunned to move, but JR is lucky he didn’t get dropped.

It's insane how much coverage JR Smith is going to get for whatever the heck he did compared to the coverage Holtby got for that save last night.

I intentionally missed the game. Apparently a lot of things happened.

VP of Officiating Replay, Joe Borgia is set to join the NBATV post game show soon, but Zeke is crushing the officiating.

8 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

VP of Officiating Replay, Joe Borgia is set to join the NBATV post game show soon, but Zeke is crushing the officiating.

Good for Isiah. For whatever reason, the only national media figures to complain about the reffing are JVG and Jackson and only in the moment.

Reversing the charge at the end was egregious.

Refs, JR Smith, and Jordan Clarkson: 1

Warriors: 0

Cavs: 0

3 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Good for Isiah. For whatever reason, the only national media figures to complain about the reffing are JVG and Jackson and only in the moment.

Reversing the charge at the end was egregious.

That VP was blabbing excrement and corporate speak.  It was a charge.  He knew it and knew they screwed up!

40 minutes ago, Needschat said:

That VP was blabbing excrement and corporate speak.  It was a charge.  He knew it and knew they screwed up!

Yeah that was kind of hard to watch him navigate through the bul :censored: he was speaking. Refs f'd up this game big time. Some fines need to be thrown their way.

I can see where there's debate over whether that's a charge or not, but I really hate reviewing judgment calls like that. It would be one thing if the debate was whether LeBron was in the restricted area or not.

The official who ejected Tristan Thompson for throwing a non-existent elbow at Shaun Livingston with 2 seconds to go in OT needs to check his eyesight. The announcers were literally fact-checking him in real time when he went over to explain the call to them after the review and they were like "Naw, the replay does not show what he just described to us."

Also this...

Watch the Warriors win by 40 on Sunday. Poor Cavs. 

It seems this burgeoning Warriors dynasty came along at the wrong time especially with the climate in America today. The Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs & even the Heat dynasty's of the past will always be looked upon with reverence. When people look at the Warriors they see the corporate techy gentrification that's going on. Having a smug as hell owner in Joe Lacob doesn't help either and Durant joining up with them made it worse. They'll be remembered as great but not looked upon fondly. 

None of that crap actually matters, though. Do you really think anyone within the Warriors organization or their fans give two :censored:s if their run is seen with “reverence” by others? Also, I remember there being a particularly high amount of salt directed towards those Jordan Bulls teams by the end of that run. Nobody seems to remember that, though. 

Thompson’s ejection was a HUGE overreaction, and the overturned call was really suspect. I can’t deny that. BUT, I actually kinda understand the Thompson ejection. It was the wrong move, but think it stems from the Zaza play last post-season. I think the NBA has taken a bit of an over sensitivity to plays like that because of the potential for the injury it could cause. The Warriors damn sure aren’t going to get any sympathy from anyone because they got the good end of both of those plays, and that’s totally justifiable. But in the very least, I understand the sentiment.

Look, none of this is new. The NBA has been making huge, game-turning suspect calls in favor of one team or star over others for YEARS now. All I can really do as a fan is admit the calls were poor, they favored my team, and I guess in the very least I’m happy to be on the receiving end of those calls for once. 

I’d get into the whole “winning teams don’t allow themselves to get put into situations where calls like that determine the outcome”, but that’s a whole other can of worms that I don’t want to open. 

The Heat will absolutely not be looked upon with reverence. The Lakers' three-peat, I dunno, that was during the NBA's dead period, I don't think anyone thinks much of anything. 

The external narrative around how odious San Francisco has become is a strike against the Warriors (pace the arena in Oakland), but all that has a way of melting away when you watch the shots go in. I find them much more fun to watch than LeBron, who's just bigger and stronger than everyone and does what he wants without trying very hard. I believe a writer I liked a lot compared him to Soviet tanks putting down a rebellion.

EDIT: ah, here it is, "How the NBA Became a League for Snobs," from 2013 and a seminal work in my realization that the NBA is a league for snobs.

But I’m not a Heat fan, and I’m not a Lebron James fan, and I frankly resent the notion that I am somehow deficient as a fan of basketball for failing to love a team and player that I don’t naturally. James’s game is, to me, as passionless as it is effective; he’s a transcendently gifted basketball player who for me is not a source of inspiration. Watching him, for me, is like watching a ruthless basketball death robot, all efficiency and execution and domination, without the human factor I crave. I personally find his game is lacking grace, as I found in Michael Jordan’s, or art, as I found in Allen Iverson’s, or manic effort, as I found in Dennis Rodman’s. I’m not evangelical about that; I have no interest in convincing others that it’s true. It’s simply my own aesthetic relationship to a prominent basketball player. So too with the Heat as a team. Yes, there is something amazing in having three such talented players starting games together. But that is also, for me, why the Heat bring no joy.

EDIT 2:

Expect Lebron>Jordan to become the treasured argument of NBA hipsters moving forward.)

lol. lol, lol, lol. 10 more pages!

7 hours ago, rams80 said:

Silicon Valley only pays its workforce enough to make the rent.

I think nose bleeds were marked up over $600. I'd skip the game too. 

Only Cleveland can out-Cleveland themselves.

From any unbiased fans... should I be P.O.'ed at the refs?

59 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

I say yes. I checked some non-partisan twitter accounts last night and everyone pretty much agreed that was a blatant misuse of the rules to help the Warriors. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

I don't know. That rule about being able to review a block/charge was implemented correctly, I think. Apparently that rule is a little unclear. I thought it was a pretty obvious block in the first place. Durant didn't initiate the contact and Lebron was still leaning/sliding/hadn't established his position,but I'm not sure how I feel about using replay to review and overturn a judgement call. That's a situation where the refs need to get together and make the right call. I think they got the call right, but the way they got there wasn't exactly kosher. Tossing Thompson was weird. Green should have gotten a tech too, but there was no reason for Tristan Thompson to take a swing at him. He should probably be suspended. 

On on another note, I don't know how Lebron restrained himself from dropping JR Smith at the end of the 4th. No wonder he has to score 50 if he has to deal with teammates like that.

Edited by 8BW14
Clarifying my opinion

7 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I don't know. That rule about being able to review a block/charge was implemented correctly. I thought it was a pretty obvious block in the first place. Durant didn't initiate the contact and Lebron was still sliding/leaning/moving and hadn't established his position, but it took way too long to straighten it all out. Tossing Thompson was weird. Green should have gotten a tech too, but there was no reason for Tristan Thompson to take a swing at him. He should probably be suspended. 

On on another note, I don't know how Lebron restrained himself from dropping JR Smith at the end of the 4th. No wonder he has to score 50 if he has to deal with teammates like that.

I mean, either the rule wasn't implemented correctly, or every guy on that crew should never work an NBA game again. If you have doubt over whether or not a guy that's 3-4 feet outside the restricted area is outside the restricted area, you're not qualified to be a high school official, let alone an NBA ref.

Yesterday was a throwback to my being soured by the NBA 15 or 20 years ago, the most noteworthy moment being Lakers vs. Sacramento. I don't feel like it's been as bad in recent years, particularly after Kobe retired.  But yesterday was simply awful.  Awful, and one-sided, to the point that I am struggling to think it's a coincidence.  The NBA's legitimacy regarding officiating has always been questioned more than other sports and I personally feel the NBA has earned that. One of the problems with the discussion is you'll get someone saying "if the games were fixed, someone would leak it."  No...the games are not fixed.  But it's also not just a black/white "100% legit or 100% fixed."  The NBA at times seems to hedge their bets simply by giving stars preferential treatment.  Fans accept it and it makes the stars more likely to advance in the playoffs.  

That said, this one is confusing because greed-driving officiating should have helped Cleveland. There is no next round, so it's not about who wins; it should be about extending the series.  And a Cleveland win makes that more likely.  This one is going four or five now.  I think the other thing that happens in a sport that, historically, is more about rewarding team/player than the merit of the play is that officials kinda get caught up in that.  And somehow by the end of regulation, it seemed like they were kinda swept up in Warrior-fever or something.  The dynasty started getting calls because they were the dynasty.  

One observation I have is what happened to LeBron on that replay would 100% never have happened to Jordan or Kobe.  I know LeBron gets preferential treatment just like all superstars...but I don't think he gets the Jordan/Kobe treatment.  

Officiating basketball must be very difficult.  And bad calls are part of the game.  But it's terrible to see the officials appear to find a way to get one team over the top.

1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

I chose not to answer this because I am not unbiased.  I am pulling for Cleveland.  I liked Jordan and liked seeing him win championships and I feel the same about LeBron. No, I am not a "fanboy." Hell, part of it is me being contrarian to how hated he is (or at least how hated he was).  Also, I am a firm believer that circumstances matter, and 3-6 is going to be the most mis-used stat there is. Add to that the 180 I did on GSW when Durant signed and, I guess I am not unbiased even though I only really get upset when it's my team getting hosed.

24 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I say yes. I checked some non-partisan twitter accounts last night and everyone pretty much agreed that was a blatant misuse of the rules to help the Warriors. 

I tend to agree that neutral fans feel like the officials helped get Golden State through that game last night.  Then again, given how polarizing LBJ and the GSW are, I don't know how many truly unbiased fans there are.  

In two weeks, this will just be remembered as another series LeBron lost because he can't get it done in the Finals and is just winning the weak-ass East.  And in that sense, I feel for him.  He long ago accepted that he's carrying a lottery team around on his back.  But couldn't they at least get their heads out of their asses and understand the time/score situation?  I figured they'd go into OT deflated.  I think they'll go into the rest of the series that way.  Warriors in four. "3-6 in the finals and he was swept in 2018.  Choker."

For those without NBATV, here is Joe Borgia discussing the play.

5 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I mean, either the rule wasn't implemented correctly, or every guy on that crew should never work an NBA game again. If you have doubt over whether or not a guy that's 3-4 feet outside the restricted area is outside the restricted area, you're not qualified to be a high school official, let alone an NBA ref.

You're right, I misunderstood the rule, actually the only thing they should have been able to review was whether he was in the restricted area. I thought a block was the right call, but they probably did get there the wrong way.