2018 NBA Post Season

PittsburghSucks

7 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I hope those two Finals home games were worth it for Cleveland. After what I saw tonight, the Boston Celtics deserved this a hell of a lot more. The better team lost the East Finals. Cavs would have been better off losing early.

Boston only has themselves to blame, same for Houston. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

It would be funny to see all the LeBron haters who defend Durant's decision suddenly flip-flop and admit that joining the Warriors is a weak move if LeBron does it.

They would still be OK with Durant.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Y'know, I'm not going to take anything away from Golden State in the sense that they're talented, deserve the rings they have and will be seen as one of the best dynasties ever. You have to concede those points, regardless if you like them or not. 

However from an outside or neutral fan perspective, it's just not a compelling story. Even during the Lakers/Celtics dominance in the 80's and the Bulls in the 90's, at least the Finals match-up was slightly different some years with Houston and Philly getting involved in the 80's and a new team almost every year for Chicago. Sure the outcome in each case didn't change much, but at least there was a small degree of fluctuation, which made it more compelling for different fans. At this point, I really don't get how you argue that dynasties are good for sports, especially when this one is grossly one-sided and has become predictable for many of us, with little change in store on the horizon.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I'm really enjoying Deadspin, after however many years of being the NBA's biggest cheerleader, turn on a dime and write a flood of articles declaring that basketball is Actually Bad because their little baby Bron-Bron got owned by the Warriors. Ohhhh it sustains me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don’t let anything in this thread distract you from the fact that Steve Kerr almost joined the Knicks as coach. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alex Houston said:

Y'know, I'm not going to take anything away from Golden State in the sense that they're talented, deserve the rings they have and will be seen as one of the best dynasties ever. You have to concede those points, regardless if you like them or not. 

However from an outside or neutral fan perspective, it's just not a compelling story. Even during the Lakers/Celtics dominance in the 80's and the Bulls in the 90's, at least the Finals match-up was slightly different some years with Houston and Philly getting involved in the 80's and a new team almost every year for Chicago. Sure the outcome in each case didn't change much, but at least there was a small degree of fluctuation, which made it more compelling for different fans. At this point, I really don't get how you argue that dynasties are good for sports, especially when this one is grossly one-sided and has become predictable for many of us, with little change in store on the horizon.

If we're being honest: the Warriors are boring. There's a reason why the entire storyline surrounding their win is surrounding LeBron: his free agency decision, his Finals record, his legacy. There's a lot to talk about with those subjects. There's nothing to talk about with the Warriors. Four Hall of Famers stacking the deck just to beat one guy isn't particularly interesting. It's predictable and not fun to watch for neutral fans.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Cavaliers had resources as plentiful as any NBA team in the wake of the giant TV deal but they gave the GDP of a small country to Tristan Thompson because his agent is LeBron's fwend. :/

57 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Cavaliers had resources as plentiful as any NBA team in the wake of the giant TV deal but they gave the GDP of a small country to Tristan Thompson because his agent is LeBron's fwend. :/

This is an easy narrative for the anti-LeBron crowd to promote, but as always, the facts tell a different story.

The Cavs were already over the salary cap due to the Big Three's contracts. At the time, Tristan was actually playing well on a title contender. He was a rebounding machine back then and also played good defense, even on the perimeter - basically a Clint Capela type of player. The Cavs had the choice to either pay him or let him walk and replace him with a minimum-contract scrub. The truth is, Tristan was getting paid regardless of who his agent was. Nobody back in 2015 assumed that his game was going to fall off as dramatically or as suddenly as it did, so it was a no-brainer with the information the Cavs had at the time. And, to be fair, he also stepped up in the 2016 playoffs.

What the Cavs' front office should be criticized for with Tristan isn't the contract - it's drafting him 4th overall in the first place. Even when he was good, he wasn't anywhere near "4th overall pick in the draft" good.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

25 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Good Lord... the level of extreme crying in here is unbelievable.  I've never seen such rampant babyness... of wait, yes... when New England won the AFC Championship.

Insisting that a guy who seems to be basketball's Cone of Ignorance is the single greatest player of all time was a pretty stupid hill to die on.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:18 PM, CLEstones said:

Right.

Because when someone says LeBron, we all need clarification on which LeBron is being talked about.

To be fair, I do get Lebron James confused with this guy - the author of Weaponizin' Yur Four Wheeler, Lebron Royce-Jankins of Left Nut, Arkansas.

tenor.gif?itemid=4950955

Perhaps a Lebron James move to the Lakers would help clear things up. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

Can’t wait till the NBA gets to crown a new champion... in 2020. 

You think it'll take the Sixers two whole seasons to win it?  Not next year?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

33 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

To be fair, I do get Lebron James confused with this guy - the author of Weaponizin' Yur Four Wheeler, Lebron Royce-Jankins of Left Nut, Arkansas.

Gimmick poster concept: LeBron Helm, who speaks in lyrics by The Band interspersed with excuses about fictitious injuries.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You think it'll take the Sixers two whole seasons to win it?  Not next year?

FWIW, according to Vegas books, only the Warriors have better odds to win the title than the Sixers:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/vegas-odds-2019-nba-champonship-sixers-lebron-james-joel-embid-westgate-warriors-rockets-celtics-20180609.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm sure there's a "Cripple Creek" joke to be had here somehow.

Look out, Cleveland, the storm is comin' through
And it's runnin' right up on you
Look out, Houston, there'll be thunder on the hill
Bye-bye baby, don't you lie so still

Don't hate him, was happy he won in 2016, but the people with the gall to insist that he's better than Michael Jordan need to be sent to the re-education camps.

Archived