New Nike WNBA jerseys

TaylorMade

They have to make the sponsor logos so big because highlight clips are usually short and you don’t zoom in the camera even on replays for a jump shot. For real though one template? These ladies deserve better, this isn’t soccer.

There was a photo in my local paper about Kia Nurse getting drafted. I had to read the article to find out which team took her, because the team name was nowhere to be found on the jersey.

The players have to get their names sponsored too?!

Not to mention the vehicle quality at the time she was named.

There's still plenty of room for individual team identity on a uniform, even with a shirt sponsor on a chest and a league-mandated name and numeral font. Look at the vast majority of soccer for proof. It's inexcusable that no one at Nike or NBA Properties wanted to try.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, Kaz said:

It’s really too bad they don’t put any effort in letting the WNBA develop actual brands; the popularity of women in tennis and MMA hint that people are willing to watch women compete if the product is good and marketed well.  There’s no guarantee that WNBA would be a success regardless, but it’s like they aren’t even given a chance with their bad jerseys and LFL-quality names like Fever

That's why it sucks that the NBA ran the ABL into the ground by outbidding for the top women in that league. Reebok started templating the league under one style when they started contracting the league. As soon as they put sponsor ads on they dumped the logos and wordmarks. Now, instead of making the ladies uniforms look like the men they've gone all in on sponsorship and templating.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Guest Wizza
On 4/15/2018 at 7:27 PM, MJWalker45 said:

That's why it sucks that the NBA ran the ABL into the ground by outbidding for the top women in that league. Reebok started templating the league under one style when they started contracting the league. As soon as they put sponsor ads on they dumped the logos and wordmarks. Now, instead of making the ladies uniforms look like the men they've gone all in on sponsorship and templating.

The ABL had the better pay and benefits compared to the WNBA so there wasn't much competition as the top players played in the ABL. On the other hand, the NBA's more recognizable brand and money got better sponsors and TV contracts plus more fans to the WNBA. Things that the ABL lacked and ultimately they were spending more than what they brought in leading to them going broke and yeah, I agree WNBA uniform templates have gotten worse over the years. Honestly, the  first few templates they used are probably the best ever in WNBA history in general and as far as looking the closest to men's unis (2003-2006 templates particularly).

aug-1997-haixia-zheng-of-the-los-angeles-sparks-laughs-as-she-walks-picture-id1400340?s=594x594See the source imageSee the source image

tamecka-dixon-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-poses-for-a-2003-wnba-allstar-picture-id2167298

I agree that the WNBA should have their own individual look, but in my opinion the parent teams that still own one and the smaller club don't seem to want to put the extra money into them like they could, almost seems to me they see the WNBA as a p.r. cause which sucks!

sms.gif

The one-template is bad, but I'd change the corporate element before I'd change that.  I get that this league needs all the revenue it can get.  But they all have a corporate sponsor below the number.  I would think (and I'm not an expert) there'd be some value to having the team identity above it...I'm not much of a WNBA fan, but if I'm flipping channels and see a WNBA game and it's the Minnesota Lynx, I may stop and watch. I might not even know it's them now.  As an aside, they have actually had some nice uniforms in the past, too.

I'd think a corporate logo below the front number and an NBA-like patch with the team wordmark would provide a nice chunk of revenue without totally abandoning their identities.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Same with the Storm.

Its infuriating they can’t even put a team logo on the chest across from the swoosh. What an abomination of advertising 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

lol - I can forgive the WNBA since they need this to sustain their league. They don't bring in NBA money. People I'm sure would rather have this over a failing league on the verge of economic collapse....but oooh they have pretty uniforms. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

I can forgive the ads, since the WNBA actually needs them (although I wish they were more like the NBA's ads than the ads on soccer jerseys).

But what I'll never understand is giving every team the same generic template. To me, that decision is even worse now that teams are cramming in so many ads all over their uniforms that they can't even fit their own logos anywhere. If the team/city name and the logo isn't going to appear on teams' uniforms, then there at least needs to be unique uniform designs for each team in order to differentiate them from each other.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived