Fixing the CFL

YYCB

When Adidas took over the CFL uniforms in 2016, they hit home runs with a few, most notably the Toronto Argonauts and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Unfortunately there were a few real duds like Montreal and Calgary. One thing I really dislike is that so many teams use the same template with the arm striping (BC, Calgary, Sask, Ottawa) and side panels (Calgary, Sask, Ottawa). When will this idiotic trend go away!

My first submission is Montreal. Right now they possibly have the worst uniform design of all time, especially combined with a really bad cartoon logo. My fix here is pretty simple: new logo with clean design based on their glory days in the 70's. To me this seems like a real easy fix.

Als_home.jpg

Als_vis.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My next biggest beef is the Calgary Stampeders. For years they were known as the Red and White. Hell they even have a club called that in the stadium end zone. Too bad they got caught up in the black trend some time in the late 90's and have been stuck with some form of it ever since. They actually look more like they should be called the Red Blacks. My fixes include removing all black except for the horse logo outline and returning to classic striping. The "outlaw" number font adds a modern update and adding red pants adds some home and away options.

home.jpg

road.jpg

home2.jpg

road2.jpg

The third biggest offender (IMHO) are the Edmonton Eskimos unis. Black accents in the logo and black drop shadows on the numbers are confusing and don't fit with the rest of the design. I brought back some elements from the team I grew up hating plus streamlined the arm striping a bit and updated the logo. The points I added suggest icicles and add a bit of a 3D pop. Also made gold numbers for the visitor unis and added and all gold alternate.

image.jpg

vis.jpg

alt.jpg

Next up are the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I thought they took a step back from the previous designs and although they're not horrible, the all blacks get a bit boring. Added some modern striping and added a full throwback as alternate. Enjoy!

home.jpg

away_A.jpg

home_B.jpg

away_B.jpg

alt.jpg

1 hour ago, brycew8 said:

When Adidas took over the CFL uniforms in 2016, they hit home runs with a few, most notably the Toronto Argonauts and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Unfortunately there were a few real duds like Montreal and Calgary. One thing I really dislike is that so many teams use the same template with the arm striping (BC, Calgary, Sask, Ottawa) and side panels (Calgary, Sask, Ottawa). When will this idiotic trend go away!

My first submission is Montreal. Possibly the worst uniform design of all time, especially combined with a really bad cartoon logo. My fix here is pretty simple: new logo with clean design based on their glory days in the 70's. To me this seems like a real easy fix.

Als_home.jpg

Als_vis.jpg

I really like this for a Montreal Alouettes uniform -- excellent look!

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

Really liking what you have done.

Als. Beautiful. You took the good from the old look and recreated some modern yet classic elements and made it really stand out. 

Stamps. Great. I would just like to see more silver in the jersey striping.

Eskimos. Fantastic, no complaints.

Hamilton. Not bad. I’m not a fan of the new helmet stripe. I would like to see a yellow helmet with the yellow pants. 

Great work. Really clean concepts. I can’t wait to see the rest. 

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

Not sure how Rider fans will feel about these. I don't dislike their current sets but not a fan of side panels and the arm striping is kind of a boring template. I might get "looks too much like NY Jets" comments but if you look at old photos from the 60's the Riders had very similar shoulder/arm design and I kinda like that look.

For the alternatives, one is based on their glory years and the other is just an experiment with a silvery-green color I like.

hm_A.jpg

vis_B.jpg

hm_B.jpg

vis_A.jpg

alt_A.jpg

alt_B.jpg

4 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Awesome!

Is there a way to incorporate the wheat strands into the shoulder loops and pant stripes?

Haha - that's what I was thinking when I was posting the alternates. Stay tuned!

Very very nice thread.

The heritage sets and the full color sets are my favorite, can't stand seeing a team wear a colored top and white pants when they have no need for it.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Archived