An Untalented Paint User's Take On The NBA

ProfessorBigShots

I felt like redesigning the NBA so i did it. Every jersey is Nike but with no ads. I will (presumably) do the whole NBA. Every team keeps their logo (recolored logos are ok) so no concept logos just concept uniforms. 

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics  
Brooklyn Nets  
  Charlotte Hornets
  Chicago Bulls
  Cleveland Cavaliers
  Dallas Mavericks
  Denver Nuggets
  Detroit Pistons
  Golden State Warriors
  Houston Rockets
  Indiana Pacers
  LA Clippers
  LA Lakers
  Memphis Grizzlies
    Miami Heat  
  Milwaukee Bucks
  Minnesota Timberwolves
  New Orleans Hornets
  New York Knicks
  Oklahoma City Thunder
  Orlando Magic
  Philadelphia Sixers
  Phoenix Suns
  Portland Trail Blazers
  Sacramento Kings
  San Antonio Spurs
  Toronto Raptors
  Utah Jazz
  Washington Wizards

Team #1 Atlanta Hawks

A89KQLj.png

I really like the green and black so i decided to make some odd 1990's Hawks inspired look with the winged basketball(?) and added the front number inside. While making this i thought "Sure looks like a practice jersey". I don't know why when i see it i think "practice jersey". Maybe its the coloring or front logo.

3 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

Team #1 Atlanta Hawks

A89KQLj.png

I really like the green and black so i decided to make some odd 1990's Hawks inspired look with the winged basketball(?) and added the front number inside. While making this i thought "Sure looks like a practice jersey". I don't know why when i see it i think "practice jersey". Maybe its the coloring or front logo.

I like that you weren't afraid to use volt green. I do think it needs some red though.

3 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

Team #2 Boston Celtics

L2iiQhk.png

It's not very removed from the original but i love the cursive script logo so i decided to use it. Nothing special but i think it's a solid design.

First, there needs to a numbers on the front. Second, try slowing down on creating the concepts. This concept looks sloppy. It looks like you took the eraser tool to create the side panels. I understand it's your first time making concepts, but if you slow down, you can create great concepts!

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Agree with @panthers_2012. Take your time here. Both concepts are a bit sloppy and the Celtics jersey looks extremely rushed. Take your time. It looks like your colored in the jersey with the paint bucket, slapped a logo, and boom - done! Take some time to clean up the jersey. What about the pieces of white between the color of the jersey and the border of the template? Fill those in and make it look a bit more presentable. Fool around with Paint and find tools and tricks that work for you. There have been some amazing concepts on here done with Paint primarily because users have taken their time.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Last night i made the next 2 teams in the series: Brooklyn and Miami!

Brooklyn

lnNMQm7.png

For this i just put down a diamond and went "huh that looks good" then added some more. Yes that is a shorts number on the crotch. It is something i have been doing in 2k when making futuristic uniforms so i added it to this jersey.

Miami

AOePQpu.png

for this i went full 80's Miami Vice with the font and drop shadow. On the front i have the Miami skyline and on the back a beach with palm tree. Should i take off the front number?

11 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

Your wish is my command

PSD0syq.png

Eh...that isn't where I'd put it...looks too much like the diamond pattern you used for the Nets. Maybe red trim around the logo and number? Of course, it's your series.

1 hour ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

Last night i made the next 2 teams in the series: Brooklyn and Miami!

Brooklyn

lnNMQm7.png

For this i just put down a diamond and went "huh that looks good" then added some more. Yes that is a shorts number on the crotch. It is something i have been doing in 2k when making futuristic uniforms so i added it to this jersey.

Miami

AOePQpu.png

for this i went full 80's Miami Vice with the font and drop shadow. On the front i have the Miami skyline and on the back a beach with palm tree. Should i take off the front number?

Yes, you should take off the front number on the Heat jerseys, but otherwise I love them. They look fantastic.

A lot of logos are extremely pixelated, such as the Nets logo. Also, I don't think having a giant diamond over where a basketball player's dong will be is a very "flattering" design...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I would pick a template that is paint friendly. You are using an image that paint changes nearby pixels to close to white, and the paint bucket only works on the exact color. It will clean up your concept quite a bit. And I suggest doing lines with the very thin line tool and then using the paint bucket to fill in the design. Slow Down, itll look way better. And This is coming from a huge paint user as well.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

You've got to take step back from these and ask yourself if they're realistic. Yes, I get that they're concepts, but there has to be an element of realism there, i.e. If these teams unveiled these uniforms tomorrow, would they get a positive reaction from fans and on these boards?

The Atlanta one started out OK; I see where you were going in bringing the volt to the forefront. But you've got to move the number out of the logo as it's illegible there, and maybe some black on the shorts to balance things out. But adding in random red diamonds an lines is not the way to go. If you added red along lines you'd already established, something might work. 

The Nets set is not good. You say put down a diamond and thought, "That looks good"? OK, sure, a diamond could be a design element to work in, but just slapping big, random diamonds around is not the way to do that. The Nets have never had diamonds on their uniforms before, and nothing in their identity really leans toward diamonds or really even sharp angles, so it's very jarring. It could work if the diamonds were maybe smaller and subtler. And the number on the front of the shorts certainly breaks convention, but it's redundant and, as some have said, unflattering. 

The Heat set also needs work. I get the Miami Vice idea, but it's pretty cliche by now. Stick with either "MIAMI" or "HEAT" on the front; both clutters it up too much. And right now, the front number is the same colour and size and has the same drop shadow as the word HEAT, so it blends into that. Plus, the 3 is wedged pretty tightly in there now, so what happens with guys who wear double digit numbers like 42 or 55? The drop shadows are too far away from the initial letters, leaving too much white space in between. The sun on the back detracts from the number on the back, again by being in the same style, and could lead to issues identifying players; that number should be the main graphic element on the back of the jersey. And the skyline is a nice idea, but if that is what Miami's skyline actually looks like, then it's too spread out to really work. And, like the Hawks set, you need some more white on the shorts to balance everything out.

Sorry if that seems harsh or like a whole lot at once. But if you're serious about this and about getting better, I think these things will help you improve both these concepts and any others you do in the future.

13 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

You've got to take step back from these and ask yourself if they're realistic. Yes, I get that they're concepts, but there has to be an element of realism there, i.e. If these teams unveiled these uniforms tomorrow, would they get a positive reaction from fans and on these boards?

The Atlanta one started out OK; I see where you were going in bringing the volt to the forefront. But you've got to move the number out of the logo as it's illegible there, and maybe some black on the shorts to balance things out. But adding in random red diamonds an lines is not the way to go. If you added red along lines you'd already established, something might work. 

The Nets set is not good. You say put down a diamond and thought, "That looks good"? OK, sure, a diamond could be a design element to work in, but just slapping big, random diamonds around is not the way to do that. The Nets have never had diamonds on their uniforms before, and nothing in their identity really leans toward diamonds or really even sharp angles, so it's very jarring. It could work if the diamonds were maybe smaller and subtler. And the number on the front of the shorts certainly breaks convention, but it's redundant and, as some have said, unflattering. 

The Heat set also needs work. I get the Miami Vice idea, but it's pretty cliche by now. Stick with either "MIAMI" or "HEAT" on the front; both clutters it up too much. And right now, the front number is the same colour and size and has the same drop shadow as the word HEAT, so it blends into that. Plus, the 3 is wedged pretty tightly in there now, so what happens with guys who wear double digit numbers like 42 or 55? The drop shadows are too far away from the initial letters, leaving too much white space in between. The sun on the back detracts from the number on the back, again by being in the same style, and could lead to issues identifying players; that number should be the main graphic element on the back of the jersey. And the skyline is a nice idea, but if that is what Miami's skyline actually looks like, then it's too spread out to really work. And, like the Hawks set, you need some more white on the shorts to balance everything out.

Sorry if that seems harsh or like a whole lot at once. But if you're serious about this and about getting better, I think these things will help you improve both these concepts and any others you do in the future.

No thats great get ready for a re-design!!!!

EDIT: The red diamonds on the hawks is supposed to be a bird's beak and eyes. I love the red diamonds on that too much to change it.

4 hours ago, Brass said:

A lot of logos are extremely pixelated, such as the Nets logo. Also, I don't think having a giant diamond over where a basketball player's dong will be is a very "flattering" design...

Yeah now that I think about it D'Angelo probably won't like a giant #1 over his umm "lil Russ"

5 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

The red diamonds on the hawks is supposed to be a bird's beak and eyes. I love the red diamonds on that too much to change it.

Writers have a motto: "Kill your darlings." In other words, if something's not working, you get rid of it even if you like it.

rATMcmK.png

Okay man, I'll be honest with you: these look rough. But after I kept looking at them, I can see potential in each of them. 

Atlanta: The first draft actually wasn't that far off. I think if you add red outlines to the name, numbers, and to the top of the neon, it wouldn't be a bad design. I don't love the logo on the chest, I'd rather see the team name, but if you really like the logo on the front, at least move the number down below it to be more legible.

Boston: This is my favorite of what you've done so far. I like the script Celtics on the front (wish the team would use it in real life on a city edition maybe), but it needs front numbers. The side panels, if you want to keep them, need to extend onto the shorts. Random thought on these: maybe work in gold or black? Those seem like popular colors when doing Celtics concepts, so maybe they'd work on here?

Brooklyn: Ummm... woof. It isn't working for me. The jersey needs to lose the diamond and I'd go with just a number and the team name, rather than the full shield logo. On the shorts, I thought about a way to make the diamonds work. How about on the side of the shorts in a pattern similar to an actual net? As for the crotch number: That's a no from me dawg.

Miami: I feel the "Miami Vice alternate jersey" has been played out for every Miami concept. That's not a dig on the concept, just a general thought. I actually like where it's going. I'd lose either "Miami" or "Heat" from the front, it's too crowded with both, and then move the number to the center or the right of the jersey (from our view, it would be the player's left). I'd also lose the drop shadow on the name and numbers, it makes it a little hard to read. 

In general: Take your time. smooth out the rough edges. Pixelated logos most definitely need a touch up. Most importantly though, don't quit. You'll have some negative comments, some bad ideas, and other things that just don't work in execution, just take the feedback others give you and use it to become better. I look forward to seeing your updates!

On 15/04/2018 at 12:46 AM, ProfessorBigShots said:

Team #1 Atlanta Hawks

A89KQLj.png

Its my first post so i thought i would contribute to a fellow newbies post........

I Love the thought of this first design so i have done my interpretation, i like your rough designs..i might do more of my versions of yours :)

Help another newbie out.

hawks_YELLOW.jpg

Archived