Holy s***, I actually finished the entire NFL (Hand Drawn)(Falcons posted 5/9)

jn8

On 4/22/2018 at 12:35 PM, flyersfan said:

Since youre drawing them, can you show us a few progress pictures? 

As was previously requested, I've got some progress pictures to show the process I go through. I'll be honest, it's not always the same, and Jacksonville was much more elaborate than some others would be, but that makes it more interesting for you guys to see. 

First off, I needed to know where I wanted to go. I knew I wanted a Jags redesign, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it, so I sketched stuff whenever it came to mind, typically during class while we were taking notes:

3yMfIeF.jpg

I labeled the designs in order so it would help to describe them here:

V1: The on in the middle. Essentially the old jersey without the shiny stuff on the shoulders and the gold collar stripe moved onto the actual collar of the jersey instead of just off it. Seemed too plain to me

V2: Top left. Similar to V1, but a stripe added to the shoulder cap inspired by the new uniforms. At this point, I wanted to move away from the sleeve/shoulder caps, they just weren't looking right to me.

V3: Top right. This is where you can start to see the design I went with come in. The shoulder caps were removed and colored to match the jersey and I based the striping off that of the old leaks but recolored. It looked nice, but I wanted something bolder. Jacksonville is a young team, I felt like they're a team that can have a bold look if done right.

V4: Bottom left. I extended the stripes onto the chest area. With the removal of sleeves from modern football uniforms, the area for stripes has shrunk to just a couple of inches, so I feel that IF DONE PROPERLY extending stripes to the chest can work. Key on the bold part.

V5: Bottom right. Same as V4, but with the collar design of the new uniforms. I went back and forth on the collar design, but screwed up on the drawing and accidentally colored the wrong part black ultimately decided not to use it :P

After I settled on what direction I wanted in terms of design, I did some rough colored models and even toyed around with other schemes:

BpqR54P.jpg

Obviously, these are very rough, 5 minute sketches just to see what it would look like. Alternate color schemes included dropping black entirely (far left, thought it was interesting, and really liked the helmet), dropping teal to just a minor accent (far right and lower, based on rumors that Khan wanted to be black and gold with the first redesign. A teal stripe is there above the white, just hard to see. Never seriously considered it for the final product), and the proposed color scheme of a more aqua-teal, silver, and gold (middle, interesting what-if scenario. I liked it and would've done a full set, but it didn't feel right to change the colors so drastically based on something that never happened). Other designs on the page include the one I went with (top right), extending the stripes all the way to the collar and making a yoke (bottom left), a potential helmet stripe, some three-colored numbers based on the stripes, and a full gold alternate jersey. Some of these were just for fun, some were seriously considered. Believe it or not, I almost used a teal yoke on the away uniform as my final product, but ultimately decided against it. 

Next step was to draw it out: 

A6RPw6S.jpg

tjCOVID.jpg

ErUSUkp.jpg

As you can see, I had-draw literally everything. Typically, I draw out 3-4 blank templates at once to help speed up the process, but this was my last pre-drawn one. First I went in and added the numbers, and then I waited until I came up with an idea for the design. Once I came up with the idea, that was drawn in, and then colored for the final design. Also, in case you thought I was joking about the screw-up involving the collar, look at the drawing, the design was supposed to be there until I screwed it up:D. Oh well, I like the final design anyway. 

So there ya go, a little insight to my process. If you guys want the stop-by-steps to the player shots, I can get those for the next team, just let me know if you're interested!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is awesome. its the things like this that can make concepts so great, when there is tons of thought and time going into it. Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work!

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

7 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Damn that’s a fantastic job, I’d love to see how you draw those amazing player models

Great job on the templates though, where’d you learn? I’m currently learning hoping to get there someday:)

Appreciate the compliments! I'll show some of the steps I take with the player models when I post the next team, which is much simpler than Jacksonville and I have a ton of free time now that my finals are over, so it's been coming along quite quickly. (spoiler alert: it's Cleveland)

For the template, I guess I've gotten to the point where I've done it so much I don't even think about it anymore. Actually, I'd call that tip number one: repetition. It sounds cliche, but that's honestly half the work, doing it until you've got it nearly memorized. As for a good place to start: Google images is your best friend. Just go there, find a template you like, and draw it out. Make sure you save a blank copy. All you need to search is "football uniform template" and you'll get some good ones, or if you want a specific manufacturer search them specifically. For example, in this series I've been doing NFL teams, and almost all of the NFL uses the Nike Vapor Untouchable template, save for a few holdouts like Green Bay, so that's what I searched and I drew out one of them I liked. For the helmet, that's what tends to be the harder part for me, it can be a little trickier. A jersey can easily be flattened out to  look 2D, a helmet isn't quite as simple in that way. Again, google search a template and find one that works for you. Unfortunately for hand-drawers, many are 3D templates, which are fine, but can be a little complex when you have to factor in shading and highlights, so I tried to find one that minimized those trickier areas. I think this might be the one I used, but I can't find the picture on my phone so it's just a guess.  Same as the jersey and pants, draw it out and save a copy. I wouldn't recommend using the helmet I linked to right away, the front and back views take some practice first. I actually didn't start using it until recently, I believe the Denver concept at the beginning was the first time I tried it. For the longest time I used this as my helmets: 

EQYEd5v.jpg

I just drew it up real quick just now and threw on Nebraska's design to give a simple example, I'm in my dorm so I don't have any access to my older work, but this is basically it. It gave a side view of the helmet and the box next to it showed the striping. That actually brings up another point: when hand drawing, don't feel like you have to include everything. The templates I linked to? Those are for computer programs. The helmet has both sides, two fronts, and the back, the jersey has the front and back, the pants have the front, back, and sides. Yeah, it might look nice to have all those fancy angles to show them off, but having to redraw every angle every time will burn you out. Do what's necessary. I always show the side of the helmet, the front of the helmet, the front of the jerseys, the sleeves, and the side of the pants. If you have a tapering stripe that looks different on the back of the helmet (example: Denver), show the back. Anything extra gets really tiresome to redraw. When you draw the template out, always reference the blank copy I mentioned before, reference images help keep it consistent time-to-time. In short: google is your friend, find something you're comfortable with, keep it simple, and repetition, lots of repetition.

Hopefully at least some of that was what you were looking for. I've seen some of your stuff on here and it looks like you've already got a very solid foundation to build off of. Best of luck on your future projects!

2 hours ago, jn8 said:

Appreciate the compliments! I'll show some of the steps I take with the player models when I post the next team, which is much simpler than Jacksonville and I have a ton of free time now that my finals are over, so it's been coming along quite quickly. (spoiler alert: it's Cleveland)

For the template, I guess I've gotten to the point where I've done it so much I don't even think about it anymore. Actually, I'd call that tip number one: repetition. It sounds cliche, but that's honestly half the work, doing it until you've got it nearly memorized. As for a good place to start: Google images is your best friend. Just go there, find a template you like, and draw it out. Make sure you save a blank copy. All you need to search is "football uniform template" and you'll get some good ones, or if you want a specific manufacturer search them specifically. For example, in this series I've been doing NFL teams, and almost all of the NFL uses the Nike Vapor Untouchable template, save for a few holdouts like Green Bay, so that's what I searched and I drew out one of them I liked. For the helmet, that's what tends to be the harder part for me, it can be a little trickier. A jersey can easily be flattened out to  look 2D, a helmet isn't quite as simple in that way. Again, google search a template and find one that works for you. Unfortunately for hand-drawers, many are 3D templates, which are fine, but can be a little complex when you have to factor in shading and highlights, so I tried to find one that minimized those trickier areas. I think this might be the one I used, but I can't find the picture on my phone so it's just a guess.  Same as the jersey and pants, draw it out and save a copy. I wouldn't recommend using the helmet I linked to right away, the front and back views take some practice first. I actually didn't start using it until recently, I believe the Denver concept at the beginning was the first time I tried it. For the longest time I used this as my helmets: 

EQYEd5v.jpg

I just drew it up real quick just now and threw on Nebraska's design to give a simple example, I'm in my dorm so I don't have any access to my older work, but this is basically it. It gave a side view of the helmet and the box next to it showed the striping. That actually brings up another point: when hand drawing, don't feel like you have to include everything. The templates I linked to? Those are for computer programs. The helmet has both sides, two fronts, and the back, the jersey has the front and back, the pants have the front, back, and sides. Yeah, it might look nice to have all those fancy angles to show them off, but having to redraw every angle every time will burn you out. Do what's necessary. I always show the side of the helmet, the front of the helmet, the front of the jerseys, the sleeves, and the side of the pants. If you have a tapering stripe that looks different on the back of the helmet (example: Denver), show the back. Anything extra gets really tiresome to redraw. When you draw the template out, always reference the blank copy I mentioned before, reference images help keep it consistent time-to-time. In short: google is your friend, find something you're comfortable with, keep it simple, and repetition, lots of repetition.

Hopefully at least some of that was what you were looking for. I've seen some of your stuff on here and it looks like you've already got a very solid foundation to build off of. Best of luck on your future projects!

Thanks a million, more than I could’ve asked for.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Okay everyone, I’m back! Finals week is over and I finished moving out of my dorm and back home over the weekend, so I officially have nothing to do except work on drawing stuff. And apply for jobs, but who really needs money? JK, but in all seriousness, how this goes over the summer will greatly depend on what hours I get and whet job I get, so if something comes up, I’ll make sure to post here to let everyone know. Okay, enough with that, onto the team:

Cleveland Browns

So, chrome brown helmets with a ton of unnecessary grey, right? Of course not, this is the Browns, how crazy can it really get? This was one where I hit a dramatic realization— I never hated the new Browns’ uniforms until I did this. I didn’t love them, but I didn’t hate them like others on here did. Really evaluating them, trying to make alterations really showed off the flaws. Orange numbers, contrast stitches, wordmarks, etc. It’s a mess when you truly evaluate how it all looks.

Helmet: No changes. None. Plain orange, one white stripe with two outer brown stripes. I kept the brown mask. I like it. White seems like it sticks out too much and grey doesn’t seem like it fits well with a “modern” design—full disclosure, this is modern for the Browns, but wouldn’t be a modern design anywhere else.

Jerseys: I ended up going with brown, white and orange. I didn’t know if I should have an orange jersey, for some reason, I just never felt like it was necessary when I was designing it despite how I’ve always loved them having an orange jersey. The jerseys use the new striping pattern from the recent redesign, but it’s limited to the sleeve caps—no extension to the chest. The giant Cleveland is eliminated from the front. They’re a professional team, believe it or not, and a chest wordmark seems too collegiate or high school for an NFL team. The numbers— remember when I said I wanted to keep the Jags new font on a team that fit it better?— the Browns jerseys use the “Modern Block” font the Jags used on their last revamp. It fit a more classic team like Cleveland better in my mind. No outlines are one the primary jerseys, another realization I had on the Browns is that number outlines don’t always work, especially on a traditional team like Cleveland, but on the alternate orange jersey, I added not only an outline, but a drop shadow as well. It doesn’t align with the other jerseys, but there is precedent for the orange jersey having drop shadows when the others didn’t.

Pants: Only white and orange. I wanted to include brown, but it just didn’t feel like it worked in any rough drafts. They don’t have diarrhea Browns running down the leg. How could anyone think that was a good idea? The stripes have been brought all the way to the bottom of the pants, but that’s about it for changes.

Combinations: Brown jersey is the home and white is the away with orange serving as the alternate. The pants don’t really have a primary designation. The only restriction is that orange pants shouldn’t be worn with the orange jersey to avoid orange overload.

L98Lnjn.jpg

H323XRe.jpg

As you can see, I added a small personal logo. I've seen others do it to prevent someone claiming their work as their own and I also thought it looked more professional to include it, so I used one I came up with a few years ago.

I guess that's that, so let me know what you think!

5 hours ago, Rocky Top said:

So much better than the atrocities we have now. My only nitpick would be to add the "Browns" wordmark across the chest 

Personally, I don’t really care for wordmarks on NFL jerseys, even smaller ones. I’ve always associated them with high school and college teams. Just personal preference, to each their own

So I’ve been doodling ideas for the Chargers and wanted some feedback. I know it’s a quick turnaround from Cleveland, but I got the idea and need some help getting started in the right direction:

RKMd0U4.jpg

Option 1: The traditional Chargers’ over the shoulder bolt of lightning.

Option 2: Instead of over the shoulder, the bolt is now sort of “framing” the edge of the sleeve. 

Options 3 and 4: Very similar, both start the bolt in the back on the edge of the sleeve cap and come to a point. 4 has one less spike? edge? whatever it’s called, it has one less of it. 

Im partial to 3/4, but still, let me know what you like best, or if you have another idea I didn’t have listed go ahead and share it. I’m always open to suggestions and feedback

12 hours ago, jn8 said:

So I’ve been doodling ideas for the Chargers and wanted some feedback. I know it’s a quick turnaround from Cleveland, but I got the idea and need some help getting started in the right direction:

RKMd0U4.jpg

Option 1: The traditional Chargers’ over the shoulder bolt of lightning.

Option 2: Instead of over the shoulder, the bolt is now sort of “framing” the edge of the sleeve. 

Options 3 and 4: Very similar, both start the bolt in the back on the edge of the sleeve cap and come to a point. 4 has one less spike? edge? whatever it’s called, it has one less of it. 

Im partial to 3/4, but still, let me know what you like best, or if you have another idea I didn’t have listed go ahead and share it. I’m always open to suggestions and feedback

option 1 definitely 

It replicates the helmet much better and I have a soft spot for numbers on the side of jerseys

Los Angeles Chargers 

So, being done with school and still being unemployed, I’m stuck at home completely alone for hours at a time, most of which went towards drawing random crap, my next product included. Full disclosure: this was NOT done in just this week, boys and pieces have been in the works since before I did Jacksonville, but I finally figured out what I wanted done and got the final steps done this week. Let me warn you, traditionalists may not love this. Even those here who don’t mind modern uniforms may not like this. I went a little extreme and did a nearly complete rebrand, so this will be done a little different, with the pictures first, then the description. With that said, let’s get started:

bswU758.jpg

Colors: Let’s start with the obvious: what the hell happened to the colors? Well, since I started on the Chargers, I knew I wanted to separate them and the Rams’ color schemes and I felt the Chargers gave me more flexibility on colors I could use. With the name Chargers and lightning bolt imagery the team uses, that’s the direction I wanted to go. Yes, they’ve used a horse charging in the past, but it seems like they primarily identify with the lightning bolt, which led me towards two colors: bright, neon yellow and an electric blue, both colors often associated with lightning. Initially, I was heading in that direction, but when doing rough drafts of helmets, I started thinking. I had made an electric blue helmet with the bolt on the side and it hit me, whenever there’s lightning, isn’t it always on a cloudy sky? And then dark grey was brought in. For those of you who may hate this based solely on the colors, I understand, but I hope my explanation at least softens the blow and let you know I didn’t do this just as a big F-you, thought was put into this and I figured it could make a fun/interesting design. 

New Logo: As you can see in the top right, I’ve done a new logo. It was inspired by the infamous unused logo from the LA announcement. I don’t mind an LA monogram, but I felt it needed touched up, so instead of the bottom of the L going into the crossbar of the A, I had it blend into the bolt, which then went through the a-hole (pun acknowledged, and kept just for laughs). This would only be a secondary logo, the bolt would remain the primary, though adjusted because, as you can see, I added an electric blue highlight to the bolt. 

Numbers: I kept the same number font they use currently, but added a slight highlight similar to the one I used on the logo bolt. No matter the placement, the numbers are always neon yellow with an electric blue highlight. 

Helmet: Gone is the white helmet and in comes the new dark grey (or as it would likely be called for marketing purposes: storm grey) shell. The bolt is on the side as has been the case for the entirety of the franchises’ existence and an electric blue face mask is used.

Jerseys: I went with design 3 from the proposed designs posted earlier. The bolt is used as a break in the sleeve to add a color beneath it (example: grey above, blue below on the home jersey). The colors are grey, white, and blue, all of which have yellow numbers. I went back and forth on which jersey to use as primary home, but ultimately decided on the grey. I love the look of bright blue, but when I decided to use grey, I pretty much declared that I was going for a darker look, so using a bright colored home jersey would defeat that purpose. With that in mind, I decided on grey as the home and blue as the alternate. 

Pants: Available in the same colors as the jerseys. All have the bolt used on the sleeves going down the leg as the stripe. 

Combinations: Nothing is off limits. Maybe solid grey, but on a Monday night game under the lights with contrasting blue socks, I might not mind it, as long as it’s used sparingly. All-blue would have similar restrictions, use it very sparingly. My personal preferences would be to use blue pants with the grey to avoid looking too devoid of color and grey pants with the blue jerseys to balance the grey helmet. White jerseys really work with anything, but for the sake of showing all the pants, my player model uses the all white look. As a first for this series, I’d like to declare an accessories rule for the Chargers: any gloves, wristbands, sleeves, anything, must be blue. I feel they’d really “pop”

Now, with all that said, here are the player models:

BMWXyRZ.jpg

One last thing, are there any requests for teams? I have a couple in mind, but they’re still in the rough draft stage, so if someone wants to throw an idea out, I’ll take suggestions, but it isn’t a promise they’ll be next for sure.

Archived