Holy s***, I actually finished the entire NFL (Hand Drawn)(Falcons posted 5/9)

jn8

Hey guys, time for another update. First off, I made an alteration to the Patriots helmet:

0IiwtrC.jpg

After the Pat Patriot alternate sketch, I liked the idea of the stripes so I added them to the primary helmet. 

But thats not the only thing, I’ve also finished the next team, the...

Houston Texans

Theme:

v6OXZqm.png

Texas. The whole uniform is designed with the Texas flag in mind. They’re called the Texans, might as well embrace it. 

Helmet:

Navy base with the current logo on the sides. a single stripe down the center, but at the middle it’s split in half. One half is red, one half is white, like the flag. 

Jerseys:

Same three colors as they currently have, only the red and navy switch designations. Dallas is the blue team in Texas, so in my world, Houston would embrace being the red team in Texas. As for the design of the jerseys, the right sleeve cap is navy, and the left cap is white. Each sleeve cap has the horn from the logo on it, white on the blue, red on the white. The coloring of the sleeve design is made to be similar to the state flag. 

Pants: 

All three colors. Down the right leg, a navy blue stripe with a star in the middle. The left leg stripe is split in half, with the top being white and the bottom red. 

Combinations:

The primary home is the red jersey with white pants, but blue pants are a combination I would like to see as well. On the road, red pants are worn with the white jerseys primarily. The blue jerseys would typically be worn with white pants. 

JvKUVFT.jpg

KcyfKQq.jpg

So what do y’all think? Any changes you’d make? Let me know!

Also: a little self promotion. I recently started a Twitter account to post drawings I do and that stuff. I haven’t made any posts yet, but that’s because I haven’t gotten the word about it out yet. Once I get a few followers, I’ll be posting pictures that go in this thread, as well as other drawings. Please, if you’re interested, CLICK HERE and follow. If not, I can’t make you. 

Anyway, thanks for looking. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

KeICmwi.gif

Sup?

So um... it’s been a minute... or two.. hundred... and a few more. BUT I HAVE A GOOD REASON! I was gone because I broke my arm I was kidnapped I was in a plane crash and stranded on an island without wifi I was helping some people who wanted to recreate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ because they wanted to make a movie but it turns out they’re total perfectionists and demanded that I stay on the cross and in the tomb for the correct amount of time so it looked authentic but apparently they weren’t really religious so they didn’t actually know how long I was supposed to be there and left me for three months instead of three days and I literally died and was resurrected just so I would be able to make this post. Okay. Maybe, juuust maybe, I got a little bored because this started to seem like work instead of something I was doing for fun. Jokes aside, I had begun to put unnecessary pressure on myself to finish this and it started to take the fun out of it. I took some time off, just did casual sketches of whatever I felt like and eventually I came back to doing these and knocked some out. That means it’s next team up.

Pittsburg Steelers

For Pittsburgh, you can’t stray too far from the current path without getting murdered, and for good reason: they’re pretty much perfect with some very minor issues that can be debated. With that in mind, I tried to keep the classic design while still adapting to modern design.

Helmet:

You can’t change the helmet, can you? It’s a classic, untouchable. So naturally I did just that: touched it. Just one (well, 3) change(s): at the back, inside the stripe I added the hypocycloids (yes, I had to Google that) from the logo in blue, red, and black replacing gold. It’s a small tweak that, while I doubt it would happen in real life, it’s enough to spice things up without losing the identity of the team.

Jerseys:

The jerseys, like the helmet, had minor tweaks as well, though the biggest of them wouldn’t even be noticeable on most players. We’ll start with the smaller changes. First off, I dropped the chest patch. I’m not really a fan of chest patches on NFL uniforms, especially non-centered ones. Secondly, I was stumped with the number font and what to use; I had a standard block font like they used previously, the current font in both italics and non-italicized versions, and a few different slightly custom fonts. I decided on the non-italicized current font. I know that may be unpopular to some, but it’s not a bad font, especially without the italics, and with the modern-ish tweaks I made, it fits IMO. The biggest change, shockingly, comes to the stripes. No, i didn’t do something crazy and drop them from the uniforms entirely, I merely leaned into what’s already happening and cut them. rather than having it be *deep breath* thin black-thin gold-thin black-thin white-thin black-thick gold-thin black—awww screw it. I cut it off after the thick gold stripe like most jerseys already to anyway. It keeps it the same on all jersey cuts instead of QB sleeves and other sleeves having different styles and it gives them a striping pattern that no other team has. In addition, I also added a steel gray alternate jersey. It’s the only jersey to have the stripes inverted, to keep with a darker theme.

Pants:

Pants. Finally. Similar to the helmet, the hypocycloids were added inside the stripe. Additionally, a pair of black pants has been added to the rotation. Ideally used very sparingly. And definitely with contrasting socks.

Combinations:

What do I really need to say for this? 6 home games: B/B/G. 6 away games: B/W/G. 1 home game: B/G/B. 1 home game: blackout. 2 away games: B/W/B. Keep the alternate looks very rare and you can't really go wrong. With the black and white jerseys, the black pants are worn with gold socks, when worn with the gray jerseys, they have gray socks. 'Nuff said, here they are:

OJ11YNq.jpg

ANHmMDA.jpg?1

Ta-Da! Thoughts? Lemme know!

Hopefully the next team won't be such a long wait.....

WOW you have gone above and beyond any hand drawn concept I've ever seen, these drawings of players in action add a level of realism that adds so much to the presentation. All the one's I've seen look really good with the Seahawks being the best.

Liking the Steelers, no complaints there. I think if theres a team that could pull of grey, Pittsburgh would be a good candidate.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on, the next team up kicks off the second half of the league:

Washington Redskins

Overall, I really like the Redskins uniforms as they are right now, so I didn't initially know what to do. Then, while just looking through NFL team logos trying to think of what team to do next and the feathers of the Redskins' logo gave me an idea of what I could do for them. Hopefully you guys like how they turned out.

Helmet:

Kept the current burgundy shell and gold facemask, the logo on the side was changed from the primary to the rarely used (outside the occasional sideline cap) R logo, the reasoning behind that will be explained later. Now for what I meant by using the feather as inspiration: the center stripe! the feather goes down the center of the helmet and the gold from the bottom of the feather is extended along the sides to create a gold-white-gold stripe (with minor black accents adding the details to the feather).

Jerseys:

Just the two primaries, burgundy and white. Gold: we saw the Color Rush. Hell naw. And I'm not forcing black just to have a third jersey. On the burgundy jersey, I kept it simple, just contrasting gold cuffs and collar with block white numbers outlined in gold. On the white, the collar is burgundy and the cuffs are gold with a burgundy stripe right above the gold. Both jerseys feature the primary logo, which is the reason the helmets don't; I don't want to repeat the same logo so close together. 

Pants:

Three options, white, burgundy, gold, all of which feature the feather stripe from the helmet recolored to go best with the base color. 

Combinations:

A few years back when Washington started wearing gold pants, I absolutely loved it. They wore them for every game, home and road, and I was thrilled. Then last year they brought out the burgundy pants on the road and it looked even better, so I thought that gold pants at home and burgundy on the road was perfect, no need to mix anything else in there. Then this season happened and they brought back the white pants. I saw on Twitter and was a little disappointed. Then they did it the next week. And the week after that. I was livid. Then I finally watched a Redskins game on TV and saw them in action. I hate to admit it, but I liked the white pants. To sum up, that was just a really long way of me saying that the primary home combo would be B-B-W, with gold pants scattered in for a couple games. On the road, B-W-B for them all. The only time white jerseys would be worn with any other pants? Hosting Dallas. White over white to force Dallas to wear colored jerseys. A tradition that needs to come back for more teams, honestly.

Without further ado:

OnCoCSO.jpg

AIg4a3A.jpg

Obviously I like them, but what about you guys? Lemme know what you think!

11 hours ago, ramsker said:

Just finding this and it's a complete pleasure. As a fellow small town Nebraskan, I would love to see you do a Rams concept. 

Nice to see another Nebraskan! The Rams are coming. Eventually. I’ve got ideas, just a matter of putting them on paper, but IDK what type of time frame we’re looking at

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Really like the use of the feather as a stripe here! Obviously the logo is an upgrade to. The illustrations are fantastic per usual. Just curious, what is the logo on the sleeve?

Sleeve logo isn’t anything fancy, just the current primary logo (kinda tough to see that small).

As for the future and what to expect here, I have the next team done and another that’s pretty close to finished. I’m going to wait before I post them, at least a few more days, so I can keep a solid pace with no major gaps. I won’t say the teams, but both nicknames can be defined as above everyone else in their own way 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling along to the next team up, we have the team that has no right to complain about not making the Super Bowl because one missed call shouldn't define a game. Maybe play some defense and don't let the Rams tie the game or don't throw an interception when you're in filed goal range in overtime?:

New Orleans Saints

I don't really dislike the Saints' current uniforms, I just hate how they hardly ever wear the gold pants anymore. Additionally, whenever they last redid their uniforms in the late 90s(early 2000s? I'm not sure), they went to a duller gold than they had used in the past. Not only that, but the gold has gotten progressively worse since their Super Bowl win. The pants lost their shine (even before Nike took over), and even the helmets started to get duller. I'm not a person who like shiny jerseys and pants, I think they look trashy, but metallic colors like gold and silver need the shine to truly look like the color they're supposed to. So fixing the gold became my number one priority, after that I just kinda flowed with whatever I felt looked good 🤷‍♂️

Helmet:

The Saints are one of very few teams that I feel can pull off any helmet color. I had mockups in white, black, and gold and I loved them all. That said.... I didn't change them. I used history as the tiebreaker and left the classic golden helmets the war they always have been. Biggest change here is the return of the classic gold, seen throughout the uniforms. The other minor tweak was to how the logo appears on the helmet. No more of this black-outlined in white-outlined in gold-outlined in black crap. Just the black logo with a single white outline. No need to be too complicated. Classic black-white-black stripe remains in there center with a black facemask.

Jerseys:

Three jerseys, two with a similar design, the road and alternate jerseys, and one that does its own thing, that being the home jersey. The home jersey is black with a contrasting gold collar and gold numbers with a white outline, similar to the current, but the sleeves feature the state outline alternate logo. The road jersey and alternate gold jersey are based off the Color Rush jersey with that sleeve striping. Gold numbers with thick black outlines on the white jersey and black numbers outlined in white on the gold jersey. (Fun sidenote: in the white helmet rough drafts, gold was the primary. I'll dig around and see if I can find that later). I made a slightly tweaked block font for the numbers. I don't want to claim that it's mine because I've seen tons of similar fonts for NOLA based teams over the years, but I took a classic block font and gave it some slight adjustments that give that sort of New Orleans vibe, I guess you'd call it.

Pants:

Probably the biggest issue with the current set. The gold pant stripes don't match the helmet and the black pants don't have stripes at all. Time to fix that!! Three pairs, gold, black, and white. All the pants have a three stripe pattern down the side. Simple enough.

Combinations:

I'm pickiest with the home jersey. Gold pants look the best with them, IMO. The white pants wouldn't be terrible, but they just wouldn't be the best. And I've seen enough of the back pants. I'm typically okay with monochrome once in a while (a major sin around here, I know), but the Saints way overdo the all-black, so let's just avoid that for now 🙄. On the road, the pants don't really matter. Mix it up, go nuts, just make sure the socks contrast (btw, three socks, all with the jersey striping). Gold jerseys, I prefer the white pants, definitely not the gold, maybe the black pants on occasion.

And since no one is going to read that, pictures:

pekm1aF.jpg

KPZIdah.jpg

Anything you want to say, let's hear it. I promise I won't cry too much if you absolutely tear me to shreds😁

On 2/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, simtek34 said:

I think it would, personally look better with  Stripes on the Home Jersey too. The mismatch is kinda weird.

I honestly can't explain it, but I'm just not a fan of the way the stripes look on the black jersey. There's just something about it that looks... off. I like them on the other jerseys, but the black jersey? My brain just says it isn't quite right. Like I said, It's not really something I can explain. I do appreciate the honest feedback though!!

Moving on...

On 2/15/2019 at 5:35 PM, jn8 said:

I have the next team done and another that’s pretty close to finished. I’m going to wait before I post them, at least a few more days, so I can keep a solid pace with no major gaps. I won’t say the teams, but both nicknames can be defined as above everyone else in their own way 😉

‘Member when I said that?

spacer.png

In case you hadn’t figured it out yet, I was referencing, one, the Saints (being above everything in the religious sense) and, two, the Giants (being, well, giant). I’m gonna go back on my word. Yes, I have finished the Giants, but they aren’t going to be next. Recently, I changed my method of how I do these. Rather than working on one until they are done, I’ve just kinda been bouncing around from team to team as I pleased. I’ve finished the flat drawings for the next 7 teams, with 2 fully finished. While the Giants are one of the two that are done, I decided I didn’t want them to be next. A few nights ago, I got a bit of random inspiration and just powered out the next team. They’re a bit different from anything they’ve ever worn, so I wanted to get the out as soon as I could, rather than waiting another week or so.

Miami Dolphins

Not who you were expecting? Yeah, they usually aren’t a team that gets crazy uniform redesigns. I really didn’t expect to go too crazy with them either. I really didn’t know what I wanted to do with them at all. It seems like the common thing to do is to just make the throwbacks the primaries with a small tweak, but I wasn't sure that was the route I wanted. So I did some random sketches. I wanted to work with the sunburst from the logo, but I wasn’t sure how it would look best. Initially, I just sketched it lining the cuffs. Then I tried it on the seam of the sleeve cap. Then somewhere in between. Then I went back to the idea of the sun lining the seam, but including the whole logo. Kinda cool. It gave the sleeves some pop. Then I had another thought. What about a sunset? A gradient into the dark blue of the ocean beneath the sun. And I rolled with it. For the road and alternate jerseys, I sketched some aqua gradients, but it didn’t have the same effect, despite looking good, so I kept the orange->blue sunset gradient pattern consistent. But enough of this, lets get to what actually went onto the uniforms.

The Gradient:

The gradient pattern, AKA the "Ocean Sunset," is consistent whenever it is applied. It isn't blended, rather there are defined separations of the colors, sort of like Arizona a few years back. The first layer is orange, either a stripe or the sun. Next is a red-orange, then red, then red-purple, then purple, then blue. We've all seen a rainbow and know the order the colors go in. 

Helmet:

The classic white shell with the new, helmetless dolphin logo on the sides. Unpopular, but I prefer it over the classic logo. Sue me🤷‍♂️. The face mask becomes aqua once again, and the classic stripes return, with orange in the center with a aqua stripe on each side, separated by white. The orange stripe features the sunset gradient at the back. Mask is changed to orange with the alternate jerseys.

Jerseys:

Three jerseys, aqua, orange, and white. All three feature the sun above the sleeve cap seams and the sunset on the sleeves. White numbers are in the caps. On the aqua jerseys, the sun has a single white outline, the other two jerseys have a white outline, then an aqua outline. All three jerseys have an aqua collar. The numbers are in a new font, but similar to the current. They’re based on the current font, but instead of the weird mix of angles and curves, I rounded every corner for consistency.

Pants:

Just two, white and aqua. Same stripes as the helmet are repeated on the pants. Nothing too hard to explain here.

Combinations:

Pretty straightforward: white pants with colored jerseys. That’s the only rule. White jerseys can mix white or aqua pants.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aaaand here's the sketch sheet mentioned earlier:

spacer.png

Kinda bounced all over the place, as you can tell, and it's all pretty rough. Experimented with gradient outlines, numbers, facemasks, and even the full alternate jersey. The full tweaked number set is there as well, very sloppily anyway. 

This one's a little bit more outside the box, so please give an honest opinion. Does the "Ocean Sunset" work?

I like it a lot! The dark navy sleeve cuffs look slightly out of place on the template drawings, but I realize that they would probably be tucked into the pads anyways.  The sleeves look really good in your action drawings, which are amazing as always.

• 2 weeks later...

So I kinda took some time messing around with some Miami Marlins stuff and haven’t focused on this as much. Just needed some time on something else for a bit. I was gonna finish the next team before I posted this, but recent developments have uhh... yeah. Imma just do this now. 

New York Giants 

Helmet: 

Blue shell with a red stripe and a gray mask. Logo on the side is changed to the GIANTS script.

Jerseys:

For the home and road, I based off the color rush set. A consistent blue-red-blue striping pattern is found throughout the uniforms. Numbers are white on blue, blue on white, no outlines. The alternate is a second white jersey, this one red-dominant like the current road, the only change being the Nike logo becoming blue so it isn’t completely gone from the jersey. 

Pants:

Two pairs, white and gray. Both have the blue-red-blue stripes. Simple enough.

Combinations:

At home, blue jerseys with gray pants for all games. On the road, an even split between white and gray pants, with the only major rule being that the alternate jerseys must be worn with gray pants. One more note on the alternate: they are paired with white socks that have stripes matching the jerseys rather than the current solid red. 

g4eNSfS.jpg

4PvbZdL.jpg

I wanted to wait until I finished the next team before I posted this, but the whole OBJ thing... Thought I’d just get this one posted. So not major changes here. How y’all feel?

On 3/2/2019 at 6:07 AM, jn8 said:

I honestly can't explain it, but I'm just not a fan of the way the stripes look on the black jersey. There's just something about it that looks... off. I like them on the other jerseys, but the black jersey? My brain just says it isn't quite right. Like I said, It's not really something I can explain. I do appreciate the honest feedback though!!

Moving on...

‘Member when I said that?

spacer.png

In case you hadn’t figured it out yet, I was referencing, one, the Saints (being above everything in the religious sense) and, two, the Giants (being, well, giant). I’m gonna go back on my word. Yes, I have finished the Giants, but they aren’t going to be next. Recently, I changed my method of how I do these. Rather than working on one until they are done, I’ve just kinda been bouncing around from team to team as I pleased. I’ve finished the flat drawings for the next 7 teams, with 2 fully finished. While the Giants are one of the two that are done, I decided I didn’t want them to be next. A few nights ago, I got a bit of random inspiration and just powered out the next team. They’re a bit different from anything they’ve ever worn, so I wanted to get the out as soon as I could, rather than waiting another week or so.

Miami Dolphins

Not who you were expecting? Yeah, they usually aren’t a team that gets crazy uniform redesigns. I really didn’t expect to go too crazy with them either. I really didn’t know what I wanted to do with them at all. It seems like the common thing to do is to just make the throwbacks the primaries with a small tweak, but I wasn't sure that was the route I wanted. So I did some random sketches. I wanted to work with the sunburst from the logo, but I wasn’t sure how it would look best. Initially, I just sketched it lining the cuffs. Then I tried it on the seam of the sleeve cap. Then somewhere in between. Then I went back to the idea of the sun lining the seam, but including the whole logo. Kinda cool. It gave the sleeves some pop. Then I had another thought. What about a sunset? A gradient into the dark blue of the ocean beneath the sun. And I rolled with it. For the road and alternate jerseys, I sketched some aqua gradients, but it didn’t have the same effect, despite looking good, so I kept the orange->blue sunset gradient pattern consistent. But enough of this, lets get to what actually went onto the uniforms.

The Gradient:

The gradient pattern, AKA the "Ocean Sunset," is consistent whenever it is applied. It isn't blended, rather there are defined separations of the colors, sort of like Arizona a few years back. The first layer is orange, either a stripe or the sun. Next is a red-orange, then red, then red-purple, then purple, then blue. We've all seen a rainbow and know the order the colors go in. 

Helmet:

The classic white shell with the new, helmetless dolphin logo on the sides. Unpopular, but I prefer it over the classic logo. Sue me🤷‍♂️. The face mask becomes aqua once again, and the classic stripes return, with orange in the center with a aqua stripe on each side, separated by white. The orange stripe features the sunset gradient at the back. Mask is changed to orange with the alternate jerseys.

Jerseys:

Three jerseys, aqua, orange, and white. All three feature the sun above the sleeve cap seams and the sunset on the sleeves. White numbers are in the caps. On the aqua jerseys, the sun has a single white outline, the other two jerseys have a white outline, then an aqua outline. All three jerseys have an aqua collar. The numbers are in a new font, but similar to the current. They’re based on the current font, but instead of the weird mix of angles and curves, I rounded every corner for consistency.

Pants:

Just two, white and aqua. Same stripes as the helmet are repeated on the pants. Nothing too hard to explain here.

Combinations:

Pretty straightforward: white pants with colored jerseys. That’s the only rule. White jerseys can mix white or aqua pants.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aaaand here's the sketch sheet mentioned earlier:

spacer.png

Yes. I’m a dolphins fan and I can confirm it looks beautiful. Excellent work, my friend

2 hours ago, jn8 said:

So I kinda took some time messing around with some Miami Marlins stuff and haven’t focused on this as much. Just needed some time on something else for a bit. I was gonna finish the next team before I posted this, but recent developments have uhh... yeah. Imma just do this now. 

New York Giants 

Helmet: 

Blue shell with a red stripe and a gray mask. Logo on the side is changed to the GIANTS script.

Jerseys:

For the home and road, I based off the color rush set. A consistent blue-red-blue striping pattern is found throughout the uniforms. Numbers are white on blue, blue on white, no outlines. The alternate is a second white jersey, this one red-dominant like the current road, the only change being the Nike logo becoming blue so it isn’t completely gone from the jersey. 

Pants:

Two pairs, white and gray. Both have the blue-red-blue stripes. Simple enough.

Combinations:

At home, blue jerseys with gray pants for all games. On the road, an even split between white and gray pants, with the only major rule being that the alternate jerseys must be worn with gray pants. One more note on the alternate: they are paired with white socks that have stripes matching the jerseys rather than the current solid red. 

g4eNSfS.jpg

4PvbZdL.jpg

I wanted to wait until I finished the next team before I posted this, but the whole OBJ thing... Thought I’d just get this one posted. So not major changes here. How y’all feel?

Good, but I'm not a fan of two white alternates. What if you did red alternate? Keep the design but make the jersey red and the stripes blue. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the series so far. Keep up the great work!!

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

On 3/12/2019 at 10:54 PM, panthers_2012 said:

Good, but I'm not a fan of two white alternates. What if you did red alternate? Keep the design but make the jersey red and the stripes blue. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the series so far. Keep up the great work!!

Personally, I've never really liked the idea of a red jersey for a team that's nicknamed "big blue," even though I have no problem with the current red-heavy road. Maybe I'm a little bit crazy 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I sketched one out. It's rough, but gets the idea across:

spacer.png

I went blue-heavy on the accessories to counter the red.

Archived