Jackie Robinson Day 2018: New Patches and Everyone is #42

Jackie Robinson Day 2018: New Patches and Everyone is #42

April 15, 2018 - 13:26 PM

Today is Jackie Robinson Day, the annual celebration of the Hall of Famer ballplayer who broke barriers to become the first African American Major League Baseball player on this date, April 15th, back in 1947 with the Brooklyn Dodgers. For […]

Read More...

9 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

A patch on the sleeve is more than enough.  Everyone does not need to wear 42, and there sure as hell doesn't need to be a patch on the hats.

On the list of annoyances this is near the bottom.

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

A patch on the sleeve is more than enough.  Everyone does not need to wear 42, and there sure as hell doesn't need to be a patch on the hats.

Everyone wearing 42 is an unintentional admission that NOBs and numbers aren't important, and in 2018 are simply for marketing purposes.

Maybe when they do this gimmick, they should put the players' real numbers on the sleeve like the Phillies.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

I agree. Only the Dodgers should wear #42 and go no name on the back, but even that's just a maybe.

There’s a reason for the no NOB and the same number.  It’s not just to honor JR but also it symbolizes equality and acceptance.  No names, no diff numbers, no separation st all to identify the players other than pure baseball talent. 

Its not fair to call it gimmicky. It’s actully one of the more important and valid tributes in sports. 

On the the other hand—Star spangled uniforms for July 4 are gimkicky. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

9 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

There’s a reason for the no NOB and the same number.  It’s not just to honor JR but also it symbolizes equality and acceptance.  No names, no diff numbers, no separation st all to identify the players other than pure baseball talent. 

Its not fair to call it gimmicky. It’s actully one of the more important and valid tributes in sports. 

I never thought of it as symbolizing equality. That makes it much more palatable for me, though for functional purposes, I think I’d prefer an all-42 “lineup along the baselines” type of ceremony prior to the game, removal of the 42 jerseys to give them to people in the stands, then play the game in regular numbers.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

48 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

I know the term carries a negative notation, but a gimmick is simply a device intended to attract attention & publicity. That you value one cause over another doesn't make either not a gimmick.

I like the 42 logo, but would prefer one featuring Jackie Robinson or his signature like the 50th anniversary logo and then use that logo every season. I’ve come to accept every player wearing 42 on April 15th, but the jersey and cap patches scream corporate greed and that’s wrong.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Everyone wearing 42 is an unintentional admission that NOBs and numbers aren't important, and in 2018 are simply for marketing purposes.

Maybe when they do this gimmick, they should put the players' real numbers on the sleeve like the Phillies.

This is a uniform element I really like. I wish more teams did this with their regular uniforms.

37 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

This is a uniform element I really like. I wish more teams did this with their regular uniforms.

to me, it's like the orioles white paneled caps. Looks fantastic if only one or two teams do it, but it'll look terrible if everyone did it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I never thought of it as symbolizing equality. That makes it much more palatable for me, though for functional purposes, I think I’d prefer an all-42 “lineup along the baselines” type of ceremony prior to the game, removal of the 42 jerseys to give them to people in the stands, then play the game in regular numbers.

That's what they used to do before they switched to everyone wears 42. With the patch on the sleeve I feel they should have had everyone wear their regular numbers and just remove the nameplates.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Today, the Orioles played the Red Sox in Boston where the game time temperature was 34 degrees and fans were given free hot chocolate.  Many of the Orioles were dressed like this with faces covered, all wearing #42. It made for quite a time telling the players apart.

Orioles_Red_Sox_Baseball_21327.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Today, the Orioles played the Red Sox in Boston where the game time temperature was 34 degrees and fans were given free hot chocolate.  Many of the Orioles were dressed like this with faces covered, all wearing #42. It made for quite a time telling the players apart.

Orioles_Red_Sox_Baseball_21327.jpg

Wearing 42 is a nice tribute, but the blackface is really inappropriate, isn't it?

Archived