UA - MLB Deal Delayed Until 2020

Bill0813

This just prolonged my fear in UA. I'm am terrified of a disaster that matches the RBK Edge. MLB has always had some good clean uniforms and I'm afraid that UA will walk in and say "We're gonna D-Backs everyone 10x that!"

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

I don't, and I'm not so sure he would not have sold out to the manufacturers.

But he didn't.  New Era wanted their logo on the caps for years, and even advertised "official" caps with the flag on the side at ballparks.

And then as soon as Rob Manfred takes over, suddenly they get what they want.  You can tell who was holding up that deal.

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The original deal was for 2020, with a rush for 2019. This is just restoring the old plan.

Id rather see them wait a year to get things right than to half ass something they cant produce for 2019.

14 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I thought UA passed Adidas in sales in the US in 2015. Plus, I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the youth factor.

Interesting article ... https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/11/teens-say-under-armour-is-an-old-brand-as-adidas-vans-win-new-fans.html

These days Under Armour seems to be big with 2 groups

- 10 year old boys

- suburban dads

Who's to say MLB doesn't enjoy aligning with these demographics?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Is Majestic dead then? I literally don’t know anything else they do.

Also the way Majestic was trending with the D-Backs and such makes me think they aren’t really all they were cracked up to be. UA has done well with traditional uniforms like Auburn football... I’ll give them a chance with baseball.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

21 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Also the way Majestic was trending with the D-Backs and such makes me think they aren’t really all they were cracked up to be. UA has done well with traditional uniforms like Auburn football... I’ll give them a chance with baseball.

Majestic was bought by fanatics

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

27 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

The do baseball well too, look at Auburn and South Carolina baseball for example.

42 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Is it really a trend if it's only one team?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

No, but I can guarantee you when a company does something that outlandish it’s their way of saying they hope it will be. They’ve also had some questionable alt unis — as always it’s hard to assign blame to them or the team for approving it

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

24 minutes ago, Bmac said:

The Diamondbacks rebrand was primarily done in-house but the uniforms were actually outsourced to Under Armour.

This just really scared me for the future of baseball uniforms 

My guess that this is a financial issue and not uniform related. From what I recall ua bought out majestic's final year to get started early. Given ua's financial woes of late this would make sense to delay if you can legally back out of the early start agreement.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I know the DBacks in house creative team had a lot of input in those uniforms. Got a lot of feedback from the players as well. So i def wouldn't put that on the manufacturer.

I know teams have already discussed the possibility of using heather gray uniforms with UA, i'm actually excited to see what they come up with. Their football stuff is getting better every year. 

MLB will not move to Under Armour until to 2020, per report

April 17, 2018 - 20:23 PM

With the NFL, NBA and NHL making relatively recent switches when it came to league-wide apparel suppliers, it was only right that MLB would eventually make a switch of their own. Indeed, MLB was initially set to switch from Majestic […]

Read More...

First attempt at posting a picture from my phone...

Here’s a sneak peak using Auburn of what the Yankees will look like in 2020. We might also learn if an internet message board can burn.

Jonah-Todd_qtjwhc.jpg

17 hours ago, Bmac said:

Colored jerseys have been worn in MLB for 55 years. 46 if you don't want to count colored jerseys worn with matching colored pants. And before that colored uniforms were common until 1917. So unless you watched baseball during the 1918-1962 period, you should be used to them by now. (If that's the case, so be it, but I imagine the majority of the members of this community are too young for that to be the case.)

I completely understand preferring the traditional white and gray setup to colored jerseys, but acting like they "don't belong in MLB" is a bit silly at this point. Since 1900, colored uniforms have been in use for a longer period than they haven't.

And before the "anything goes" era of the last five years and outside of the '70s which were known for intentionally garish uniforms, how many of those years regularly featured color vs color games? I'm not saying teams shouldn't have colored alternates. But two alternates should never meet on the field, and no teams should wear their alternates more than a quarter of the time, tops. 

OldRomanSig2.jpg

20 hours ago, LMU said:

The question is... will teams targeting the 2019 changeover still be obligated to make their changes for 2019 or will any changes be shelved a year?

Are there any credible rumors of any teams that were targeting 2019?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived