YANKEES NO PINSTRIPE CONCEPT BY KONG TOM

KingKongTom

Here is my very first concept I have created! My vision was to give my take on the most classic jersey in the MLB, the New York Yankees. I have dubbed my concept as "Yankees Evolved". I would appreciate honest feedback on these. I plan on updating this thread. If you want my take on a certain team, just comment down below. ThanksYankees_Uniform_concept_1_presentation_b

25 minutes ago, NixonRoyal said:

Listen, i'm going to be brutally honest with you. These are absolutely horrible. First off, this is the laziest concept I have ever seen. You didn't even take the time to find a baseball jersey template. THIS IS A DAMN POLO SHIRT. Even if this was a jersey it is still bad. The font is ugly, the number font is ugly, the MLB logo is placed terribly, and the UA logo looks out of place also. Keep trying because you will MAYBE get better. And I guess for the hell of it do the Blue Jays. 

ID LIKE TO SEE YOU DO BETTER!!! YOURE THE ONLY 1 WITH THAT OPINION THAT MY CONCEPT SUCKS SO LEARN TO TALK BEFORE YOU WALK!!! AND THE POLO WAS THE BEST BASEBALL JERSEY THEY HAD!

Nixon, we're here for constructive criticism, and that's not it. If you think the concept needs to be cleaned up, say THAT and use tact. Tom, you're posting online and can expect that people will be critical of your work. Learn to roll with it and if it's not constructive, take it that way.

Now on the topic of the concept, it does need to be cleaned up but it's clear that you care a lot about this concept. I'd recommend taking a little extra time to clean up the presentation, because anything you care that much about is worth taking the time to make work. It's a very aggressive idea, taking the pinstripes from the Yankees. I like the idea of placing the league logo on the back of the collar, as I don't think I've seen anybody try that before. I'd recommend shrinking it down, as it would be a nightmare to attach, but it's intriguing. In fact, I'd shrink down all the elements, as a longer name would stretch onto the sleeves and the number takes up the entire back. Also, experiment with other fonts and it may improve the overall look. As somebody who loves looking back at baseball's history, I love the idea of using a polo, so definitely don't lose that aspect of it. Overall, it does need refinement, but it's a good start. Hopefully we see more from you.

14 minutes ago, BradyIvie said:

Nixon, we're here for constructive criticism, and that's not it. If you think the concept needs to be cleaned up, say THAT and use tact. Tom, you're posting online and can expect that people will be critical of your work. Learn to roll with it and if it's not constructive, take it that way.

Now on the topic of the concept, it does need to be cleaned up but it's clear that you care a lot about this concept. I'd recommend taking a little extra time to clean up the presentation, because anything you care that much about is worth taking the time to make work. It's a very aggressive idea, taking the pinstripes from the Yankees. I like the idea of placing the league logo on the back of the collar, as I don't think I've seen anybody try that before. I'd recommend shrinking it down, as it would be a nightmare to attach, but it's intriguing. In fact, I'd shrink down all the elements, as a longer name would stretch onto the sleeves and the number takes up the entire back. Also, experiment with other fonts and it may improve the overall look. As somebody who loves looking back at baseball's history, I love the idea of using a polo, so definitely don't lose that aspect of it. Overall, it does need refinement, but it's a good start. Hopefully we see more from you.

Now I can work with that. I actually just did the polo because I couldn't find a baseball jersey templagte. But its unque I agree. Ill give you my second product tomorow 

@NixonRoyal -- that was harsh. Other posters are correct in that we're aiming to be more constructive in our criticism here. I'm not saying you can't point out flaws, but if you do, try to also point out possible solutions or fixes rather than simply referring to elements as "ugly" or "horrible" without explaining why.

That said, @KingKongTom, if you're going to fly off the handle like that any time you encounter negative feedback, you're not going to have a good experience here or anywhere else. One does not need to be a graphic designer (to "learn to talk before you walk," as you put it) in order to critique graphic design, same as one does not need to have played hockey at a professional level in order to watch an NHL game and have an opinion on a team's strategy.

**takes moderator hat off**

Some relevant points were brought up about the template, the fonts and the placement of logos. There are plenty of good baseball templates out there and I would suggest searching one out before moving ahead with this concept. If you need help finding one, please don't be afraid to ask.

The font appears to be a default system font. It doesn't work great mainly because it's a bit too square for how large you're putting it on the back of the jersey, and because of the serifs at the bottom of the 1, which throw off the spacing visually. Again, there are lots of fonts available out there for free, and with a team as steeped in tradition as the Yankees, I would stick to a more traditional varsity block font. 

Trying to transpose this in my mind to a baseball jersey, it seems to me that the number on the front of the jersey is either placed too low or is altogether unnecessary. At its current placement, it might get tucked halfway into the pants. I've never been a fan of the low number on the left side of a jersey anyway, though. I would say either move it up to be level with the NY logo or remove it.

The Under Armour logo is also too large and prominent in its current placement. When UA takes over the MLB jersey contract in 2020, I don't think MLB will allow them to put their logo that large in that position. It will likely be in the same spot (on the sleeve) and the same size as the current Majestic logos, and I think your concept should reflect that. That clear up some of the issues around crowding on the front of the jersey as well. 

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

@NixonRoyal -- that was harsh. Other posters are correct in that we're aiming to be more constructive in our criticism here. I'm not saying you can't point out flaws, but if you do, try to also point out possible solutions or fixes rather than simply referring to elements as "ugly" or "horrible" without explaining why.

That said, @KingKongTom, if you're going to fly off the handle like that any time you encounter negative feedback, you're not going to have a good experience here or anywhere else. One does not need to be a graphic designer (to "learn to talk before you walk," as you put it) in order to critique graphic design, same as one does not need to have played hockey at a professional level in order to watch an NHL game and have an opinion on a team's strategy.

**takes moderator hat off**

Some relevant points were brought up about the template, the fonts and the placement of logos. There are plenty of good baseball templates out there and I would suggest searching one out before moving ahead with this concept. If you need help finding one, please don't be afraid to ask.

The font appears to be a default system font. It doesn't work great mainly because it's a bit too square for how large you're putting it on the back of the jersey, and because of the serifs at the bottom of the 1, which throw off the spacing visually. Again, there are lots of fonts available out there for free, and with a team as steeped in tradition as the Yankees, I would stick to a more traditional varsity block font. 

Trying to transpose this in my mind to a baseball jersey, it seems to me that the number on the front of the jersey is either placed too low or is altogether unnecessary. At its current placement, it might get tucked halfway into the pants. I've never been a fan of the low number on the left side of a jersey anyway, though. I would say either move it up to be level with the NY logo or remove it.

The Under Armour logo is also too large and prominent in its current placement. When UA takes over the MLB jersey contract in 2020, I don't think MLB will allow them to put their logo that large in that position. It will likely be in the same spot (on the sleeve) and the same size as the current Majestic logos, and I think your concept should reflect that. That clear up some of the issues around crowding on the front of the jersey as well. 

Thanks for the feedback. I will be posting my 2nd mockup of this concept today.

The new and improved NO PINSTRIPES V.02 

Honest feedback would once again be appreciated, its already looking better.

THE FOLLOWING UPDATES WERE MADE:

FRONT:

-Smaller Yankees Logo

-Smaller and better placed Under Armour logo

-Removed the front number

BACK:

-Removed the chrome finish from the MLB logo, and made it smaller.

-New number and letters font

-Smaller nameplate sizing 

ARMS: 

-Added tooling to the bottom of the sleeves on the right and left arms.

Kong_Tom_yankees_vo2.png

If this were for a cricket concept it could work. It still needs to be placed on a baseball jersey. If you look up "paint templates" you should be able to find a decent baseball uniform that will show this off better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, KingKongTom said:

ID LIKE TO SEE YOU DO BETTER!!! YOURE THE ONLY 1 WITH THAT OPINION THAT MY CONCEPT SUCKS SO LEARN TO TALK BEFORE YOU WALK!!! AND THE POLO WAS THE BEST BASEBALL JERSEY THEY HAD!

"The polo was the best baseball jersey they had"?

Are you referring to the Yankees?  Because they have NEVER worn a "polo shirt" as a uniform.  A collard jersey yes, but not a polo shirt.  You can't jump down @NixonRoyal 's throat because what you made was not what he thought was that great.  If you don't want your work scrutinized then don't put it on the internet.  

To be completely honest, what you designed here is somewhat disrespectful to the history of the Yankees and their iconic uniforms.  They have worn the pinstripes since 1912 and have kept nearly the exact same concept.  

On the other side of it, it looks nothing like a baseball uniform.  A nice fan apparel item maybe, but not a uniform.  

Keep working and thinking creatively.

8 hours ago, sem27mkm said:

"The polo was the best baseball jersey they had"?

Are you referring to the Yankees?  Because they have NEVER worn a "polo shirt" as a uniform.  A collard jersey yes, but not a polo shirt.  You can't jump down @NixonRoyal 's throat because what you made was not what he thought was that great.  If you don't want your work scrutinized then don't put it on the internet.  

To be completely honest, what you designed here is somewhat disrespectful to the history of the Yankees and their iconic uniforms.  They have worn the pinstripes since 1912 and have kept nearly the exact same concept.  

On the other side of it, it looks nothing like a baseball uniform.  A nice fan apparel item maybe, but not a uniform.  

Keep working and thinking creatively.

NO I MEAN IT WAS THE BEST TEMPLATE I SAW!!!

12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If this were for a cricket concept it could work. It still needs to be placed on a baseball jersey. If you look up "paint templates" you should be able to find a decent baseball uniform that will show this off better. 

ITS A BASEBALL JERSEY

Archived