Classic Coral: Dolphins Tweak Colours for New Uniform

Skape7

The Nagurski font just looks like something a college team would wear (and that's not a bad thing), since we've seen a lot of similarities with Oregon State/Minnesota/Wake Forest.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, O.C.D said:

It's eye-opening to see how much better these uniforms got by making relatively minor tweaks. 

It shows that you don't need a complete overhaul to correct a flawed uniform design. Like the majority of designs that come from this community. Small tweak here, small tweak there, fixed. I really believe that's exactly what will happen in Jacksonville in 2023. They'll see the fans reaction to the original Jags uniforms when they use their throwbacks, they'll add striping to the pants, add double borders to numbers (single at least), and hopefully fix those stupid socks. 

Since the Jags thread is closed, and I'm not opening a whole new thread to discuss this, but have you read the Paul Lukas reaction pieces lately!?! He has completely sold out. He used to be critical of teams redesigns, but boy oh boy he, is he full of it now. He graded the Jags pants a "B" and the socks an "A". I'm not even mentioning his piece on the Titans. He is such a phony. FAKE NEWS!

b44e9e1d5e5d4c60be01d7aa225e483a3a5e1290

38 minutes ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

It shows that you don't need a complete overhaul to correct a flawed uniform design. Like the majority of designs that come from this community. Small tweak here, small tweak there, fixed. I really believe that's exactly what will happen in Jacksonville in 2023. They'll see the fans reaction to the original Jags uniforms when they use their throwbacks, they'll add striping to the pants, add double borders to numbers (single at least), and hopefully fix those stupid socks. 

I'm hesitant to clap ourselves on the back with the success of the Dolphins tweak. Nor am I looking forward to 2023 for the Jaguars. 

To me what the Dolphins change really demonstrates is that there is absolutely no substitute for trial and error using actual fabric on actual players. One reason we all love sports uniforms is that they aren't just art but practice pieces of equipment. There's no real way to predict how something is going to look in the flesh on an athlete, you just have to do it. Small details make for big changes in perception. Essentially these Dolphins jerseys are identical to what came before except for the elimination of navy and a new shade of orange, yet the way it looks in the flesh is completely different. 

It really makes you appreciate designs like the Packers, Bears, and Steelers which came about organically through a process of slight tweaks over many years to arrive at the classics we see today. Maybe this is a clear case for dropping/reducing the 5 years rule in the NFL? 

5 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm hesitant to clap ourselves on the back with the success of the Dolphins tweak. Nor am I looking forward to 2023 for the Jaguars. 

To me what the Dolphins change really demonstrates is that there is absolutely no substitute for trial and error using actual fabric on actual players. One reason we all love sports uniforms is that they aren't just art but practice pieces of equipment. There's no real way to predict how something is going to look in the flesh on an athlete, you just have to do it. Small details make for big changes in perception. Essentially these Dolphins jerseys are identical to what came before except for the elimination of navy and a new shade of orange, yet the way it looks in the flesh is completely different. 

It really makes you appreciate designs like the Packers, Bears, and Steelers which came about organically through a process of slight tweaks over many years to arrive at the classics we see today. Maybe this is a clear case for dropping/reducing the 5 years rule in the NFL? 

During the redesign process, they have "on field" tests, where they see the fabrics on people in a game situation. In regards to "just have to do it", nobody has to do anything, ever. That is simply just passing the buck instead of owning up to failure. Removing a secondary color from an entire uniform set and changing another color is NOT subtle, or we wouldn't have had the overwhelmingly positive reactions to this thread. We're just conditioned from all of the horrible redesigns Nike has puked out year after year, that completely eradicates a team's identity.

I don't need to see any redesigns to appreciate the Bears or Packers (F Pittsburgh). There isn't one fan base that would be upset if the entire NFL went back to each fan base's favorite era of uniforms, and I promise you that none of those will be designs by Nike. Can't wait for 2020, 100 year anniversary, throwbacks league wide, hopefully. The 5 year rule only sucks because Nike keeps ruining redesigns, and teams keep allowing them to do it. 

4 minutes ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

Can't wait for 2020, 100 year anniversary, throwbacks league wide, hopefully.

2019. 100 seasons; 25 years after the 75th season celebration that happened in 1994.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

During the redesign process, they have "on field" tests, where they see the fabrics on people in a game situation. In regards to "just have to do it", nobody has to do anything, ever. That is simply just passing the buck instead of owning up to failure. Removing a secondary color from an entire uniform set and changing another color is NOT subtle, or we wouldn't have had the overwhelmingly positive reactions to this thread. We're just conditioned from all of the horrible redesigns Nike has puked out year after year, that completely eradicates a team's identity.

I don't need to see any redesigns to appreciate the Bears or Packers (F Pittsburgh). There isn't one fan base that would be upset if the entire NFL went back to each fan base's favorite era of uniforms, and I promise you that none of those will be designs by Nike. Can't wait for 2020, 100 year anniversary, throwbacks league wide, hopefully. The 5 year rule only sucks because Nike keeps ruining redesigns, and teams keep allowing them to do it. 

I get that you don't like the company for some reason, but ultimately it is the team that signs off on it. if you want to blame someone, blame the team. They get a few concepts and decide what to go with. This off season uniform changes shows how much teams are involved in the redesign process. Amy Adams was a big part of the Titans, Tom Coughlin was a huge influence in the Jaguars. Nike didn't tell the Dolphins to change their uniforms, the dolphins made that choice on their own. Adidas has some huge misses, as does Under Armour. But that isn't on the company, someone ultimately has to sign off on new uniforms, and those people's decisions need to be blamed more often. Sure, a company can suggest something, but ultimately a rep from the team says yes to something or sure, but lets change this little thing. 

6 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

I get that you don't like the company for some reason, but ultimately it is the team that signs off on it. if you want to blame someone, blame the team. They get a few concepts and decide what to go with. This off season uniform changes shows how much teams are involved in the redesign process. Amy Adams was a big part of the Titans, Tom Coughlin was a huge influence in the Jaguars. Nike didn't tell the Dolphins to change their uniforms, the dolphins made that choice on their own. Adidas has some huge misses, as does Under Armour. But that isn't on the company, someone ultimately has to sign off on new uniforms, and those people's decisions need to be blamed more often. Sure, a company can suggest something, but ultimately a rep from the team says yes to something or sure, but lets change this little thing. 

I did say teams allowing them to do it. I acknowledge and agree with you, and have started in other posts that the people in charge of the teams are responsible as well, but Nike is supposed to be the "experts". That's why these teams go to Nike for their redesigns. The dolphins apparently got some in house team together and their consultants outside of Nike, and wallah. You're right, but I'm not wrong either. 

21 minutes ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

When I said, "you just have to do it," I meant looking at something in the flesh. Sure Nike does "field tests" but we don't know if multiple designs are viewed or if its done in multiple light conditions, or with different athlete shapes and sizes, or its with 11 guys on the field. Maybe someone on these boards with knowledge can tell us?

The thing that a lot of people don't get about the Bears and Packers is that their iconic designs didn't emerge fully formed but took years adding a stripe here, tweaking the logo there, until reaching their present state. 

My biggest complaint about Nike's NFL designs is that sooooo many are really really close to being classics but end up over-designed. The Vikings have their stupid number points. The Browns have the giant wordmarks and contrast stitching, the Bucs have the digital clock numbers and over sized helmet logo. The underlying thesis of those designs aren't bad at all: single color numbers on the Vikes with up side down axes on the sleeves, focusing on the three color stripe from the helmet on the Browns, a modern should yoke on the Bucs. These are good ideas that are swamped by little details that could easily be dropped after a year. 

14 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

yea, i wish we could have been able to do that. before joining the team, i developed a number font called "Nagurski". it made its way into a concept or two after being re-named "Csonka" and i thought it looked pretty good, but ultimately, we just didn't want to change too much at one time. 

Hi7Z07b.png

LOVE that number font!

56 minutes ago, NikeRuinsEverything said:

I did say teams allowing them to do it. I acknowledge and agree with you, and have started in other posts that the people in charge of the teams are responsible as well, but Nike is supposed to be the "experts". That's why these teams go to Nike for their redesigns. The dolphins apparently got some in house team together and their consultants outside of Nike, and wallah. You're right, but I'm not wrong either. 

You obviously don't speak French, do you?

i should correct some fake news. the number font i proposed wasn't Nagurski, it was another one i built around the same time called "Otto" that i used for my Browns concepts and renamed "Csonka"

loDrABZ.png

also, after going back through some things i found this slide that i thought was still interesting. i love all of these uniforms and felt this was a good space for the Dolphins to be in.

HeHJKgP.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

while you're right, i must say that the manufacturers are often responsible for some of the random garbage.. they're usually the ones "thinking outside the box" and offering those off-the-wall idas.. sure, the team has to agree to go along with those ideas, but you can't tell me someone with the Jaguars was like "man, we could really use some shiny, smooth, clear material in a random design across the shoulders/chest of our jerseys.. if only something like that existed.."  i mean, that's CLEARLY a Nike feature 100%.. same with the shape of the pants stripe, and probably the ring around the collar thing too... these are all Nike issues (and yes UA and Adidas have their fair share as well), and they all relate back to marketing and to some extent, a "swinging for the fences" mentality with design - that someone might come up with the next BIG thing (or the next timeless design element perhaps), so they keep pushing the envelope with ridiculousness hoping something sticks..

Archived