Classic Coral: Dolphins Tweak Colours for New Uniform

Skape7

43 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i started working with the Dolphins in February of 2016 and things were just kicking off then. during my first week, i got briefed into "Project Mayhem" and we did a lot of internal research and concepts. this was driven by our CEO and Creative Director; they wanted to do something different because neither of them were there in 2013 when the uniforms/logos were designed. in the end, its still Mr Ross's team/brand and we didn't want to hit him with too much as if to say "you got it all wrong! lets change it all!". the final direction to "remove blue" was our CEO's idea and we worked with Nike to make the perfect choice of orange; something unique to the league even though its still very close to browns, broncos, and old orange. this was probably a very unique approach to the uniform design where we (team) made teh decisions and Nike more or less filled teh order

on to schedule release. will be back on this evening

This is really awesome. It's the perfect kind of change for a team to make when they just weren't quite there before. Whatever influence you had in this is much appreciated. It kind of reminds me of when people here say that "someone from these boards could come up with something better in two minutes!!"

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, GFB said:

This is so excellent...

The only thing that slightly irks me is that the new darker shade of orange doesn't compliment the current shade of aqua as the old (Tennessee Volunteer) orange did.

Dolphins-New-Shade-of-Coral-Orange-for-2

New-Dolphins-White-Uniform-2018-Unveiled

Don't get me wrong, the moving back to a more red-orange color was far and away the right move; I just would have liked to have seen them go a shade lighter (like 1645 instead of 1655) so the aqua and coral have a little more contrast. 

Ca8sUCPUAAIuvUO.png

On the throwbacks with the darker aqua jerseys (at least, I think they are slightly darker, maybe @BrandMooreArt can confirm that for me), the new/original orange looks phenomenal... but maybe that's the road the Dolphins go down next time. 

i kind of feel the same way, at least when i first saw it. the orange looked really red and i thought we moved too far. i love 1645 (thats pretty close to what i use in my personal branding) but after living with it for a while, i guess ive gotten used to it. we just wrapped a Junior Dolphins box truck in the new color and seeing it that size and that bold, it looks pretty freakin' sweet :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It is kinda weird to think that this will be the first season in 20+ years that navy won't be in the numbers.

I'd say that's a good thing.  Navy works on the logo to give it some depth and contrast but it shouldn't have been used on the numbers or striping.

This gives me hope Nike can someday fix the many annoying things about the Titans and Jags redesign.

Bring back the helmet-wearing dolphin and these are near perfect.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

When I do Madden franchises, I choose teams based on whether it'd take a lot of work to make them good, whether it's been a long time since they've won anything... and whether I can stand to look at their uniforms.

My second Madden 19 franchise will be the Miami Dolphins. (Hometown Bears are always first... and fit all criteria.)

I know a lot of people like the old logo and stripes, but just considering the previous look to this update, does anyone not think this is an upgrade?  To me it's an obvious upgrade.  But they did remove a color and change another.  I actually thought the look could have worked OK with the three colors, but the two secondaries were so thin that they kinda cancelled each other out.  The execution was worse than the color comobo.  

In any case, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who thinks this is a downgrade (again, not those disappointed that they did not change the font or go back to the old logo).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

As would I. 

We have a few folks on our Facebook page who believes these are downgrades, here are some of their posts: 

• Calling downgrade on this one. The number font is MUCH better but still no aqua mask & dropping the darker blue accents is not good
  • Well I like darker colors so I liked the addition of it. It's like Detroit. When you have two "lighter" colors like this it needs a darker color to add the contrast. Without it the orange washes out

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, nuordr said:

We have a few folks on our Facebook page who believes these are downgrades, here are some of their posts: 

• Calling downgrade on this one. The number font is MUCH better but still no aqua mask & dropping the darker blue accents is not good
  • Well I like darker colors so I liked the addition of it. It's like Detroit. When you have two "lighter" colors like this it needs a darker color to add the contrast. Without it the orange washes out

The first comment makes no sense.The number font is exactly the same as the old set.

9 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I know a lot of people like the old logo and stripes, but just considering the previous look to this update, does anyone not think this is an upgrade?  To me it's an obvious upgrade.  But they did remove a color and change another.  I actually thought the look could have worked OK with the three colors, but the two secondaries were so thin that they kinda cancelled each other out.  The execution was worse than the color comobo.  

In any case, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who thinks this is a downgrade (again, not those disappointed that they did not change the font or go back to the old logo).

I'm a lifelong dolphins fan, and this is absolutely an upgrade, primarily due to the fact that the previous set lacked enough orange..

I'm in the camp that actually liked the blue, and think having could've worked (possibly even better than removing it), but not without adjusting it..

Firstly, I think it was still a touch too close to navy.. Most will disagree, but I seem to recall it being called "dark aqua" originally, and I've always seen it as such (for the most part).. However, I think it should've been adjusted just a touch lighter and aqua-ier.. also, in the striping and numbers, it was nearly twice the weight of the orange.. That was a problem, so the weights of the two should've been swapped, leaving the outer orange stripe a bit wider, with the  thinner blue stripe separating the aqua from the orange.. 

Along with the adjustment to the shade of orange, that's what I would've liked to see.. (Along with an adjusted number font, of course)

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Looks like the trampstamp was moved to the inside collar. With that said, kinda wish the inside collar also included palms or something on either side of "Miami".

Tannehill game jersey

Seeing the new jerseys on Fanatics is awesome. Just a great update.

I thought it was there on the old ones as well.

https://www.fanatics.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/miami-dolphins-nike-womens-custom-game-jersey-white-/o-3527+t-14374727+p-67619744420+z-9-2113154728

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

As would I.

28 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don’t think there’s any way to call it a downgrade. Even if you were a fan of the blue, it clearly wasn’t implemented well and impacted the orange, which was allegedly their secondary color. 

I might be the only fan in the world that liked their blue shadows on the previous set, but I get that’s an unpopular opinion. Maybe that’s a way to satisfy fans of the blue, if there even were any. 

I hope this isn’t major enough to reset the 5 years, but I’m afraid that it is, which means we are stuck with the terrible font and Dolphin Financial Management Inc. logo. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived