Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

So, Nike does the Titans and they’re the devil.  Nike does these bland Jags unis and they’re the devil.  Yet in both cases either the owner or the team president made the decisions and directed the design.  

The Nike hate here is so ridiculously misguided.  

Whether or not people like the design of the uniforms, it’s clear the team has control over how they look. Not Nike’s fault either way. 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reflecting on the two reveals today, I realize how strange it is that I really dislike one (the Jags) and love the other (the Phins) since both are pretty similar in how simplistic they are. Yet, since the Dolphins embraced their bright, beautiful colors, their set is timely and stunning while still remaining simplistic and traditional. If the Jags had simply added more teal to the aways and outlined the numbers in a gold outline, I bet I'd really like these. A pants stripe of any kind would be nice too. 

spacer.png

The best thing about this update is the helmet. I can now watch a Jags game without wondering how they could have such terrible helmets the entire game. The rest of the uniform is serviceable, but I feel like they were gold and black outlines and teal road numbers away from knocking it out of the park. 

3 hours ago, BrianLion said:

This single color number trend looks so damn amateurish. 

I've been reading a lot on this thread about this "trend"... can we discuss this?

So, by my count, there are now 10 teams with single color numbers.  They are;

Packers, Giants, Steelers, Colts, Jets, Cowboys, Raiders, 49ers, Vikings, and now, Jaguars.

5 of those 10 have been wearing single color numbers forever... the Pack (1925), the Steelers (1933), the Cowboys (1962), the Raiders (1962), and the Colts (1953).  It's safe to say that none of these teams are a part of any new "single color number trend."

Another 3 of those 10 have been wearing their current uniforms with single numbers for less time, but are wearing uniforms that recreate older uniforms that had single color numbers... the 49ers (1957 originally), the Giants (1937 originally), and the Jets (1962 originally).  Since these teams are each following an older tradition, I would say they, also, are not part of any "single color number trend."

That just leaves 2... the Vikings (2013) and the Jaguars (2018) as a part of this "trend."  2 teams is not much of a trend IMO... I think were safe.

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've been reading a lot on this thread about this "trend"... can we discuss this?

Packers, Giants, Steelers, Colts, Jets, Cowboys, Raiders, 49ers, Vikings, and now, Jaguars.

5 of those 10 have been wearing single color numbers forever... the Pack (1925), the Steelers (1933), the Cowboys (1962), the Raiders (1962), and the Colts (1953).  It's safe to say that none of these teams are a part of any new "single color number trend."

Another 3 of those 10 have been wearing their current uniforms with single numbers for less time, but are wearing uniforms that recreate older uniforms that had single color numbers... the 49ers (1957 originally), the Giants (1937 originally), and the Jets (1962 originally).  Since these teams are each following an older tradition, I would say they, also, are not part of any "single color number trend."

That just leaves 2... the Vikings (2013) and the Jaguars (2018) as a part of this "trend."  2 teams is not much of a trend IMO... I think were safe.

The Vikings wore single color white numerals at home for many years.

3269-223Fr.jpg

i really think the shock of the Jags unis will wear off and with time, and come to be more appreciated. put these unis in the football world 10 years ago; how many could say they were too simple then? i think the most negative effect in the post ProCombat era is there is more expected from a uniform and it has to be this storytelling peice. which was really cool for a few years but now, seeing a uniform that compares with Texas, Penn state, even the Lions throwback feels like such a releif for me. especially a team with a unique color like teal, even though id like to see a bit more gold used i dont think its entirely necessary. and seeing the old Jags or new Titans, Buccs, Browns... this looks like a uniform that has all the right things in mind and even if they leaned too far towards simplicity? i think thats way better than the alternative. they gave up the “hunting from the shadows” BS and approached this one with the thought of “we’re here to play football”. that is such a great thing to hear

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm surprised there is more focus on just saying, "these are simple" rather than a deeper look at the more subtle look of the jerseys.

One thing that is really growing on me is the sheer size of the numbers and the space they take up. They aren't big and super skinny (like some other teams who recently reworked their jerseys...) but they aren't too big and blocky either. This works particularly well on Ngakoue leaning forward. It really makes the white numbers on black pop. In fact, this works well with the teal markings. They also pop, and I think the black jerseys will look really good and the teal will stand out a lot more on them than the previous ones.

This sort of works the opposite way with the black markings on the teal jersey. They kind of blend end. The numbers sort of stand out on the front, but they aren't as stark on the shoulders. In this way the teal jerseys are more solid teal. In that way, they focus on the teal. It sort of imitates pasts looks of the teal jerseys the Jags have used, which I think was intentional. I definitely think they wanted to get away from the black numbers on teal, which at times didn't look the best.

The white jerseys might be my least favorite, but at the same time I feel like they do a good job at something too. Black markings and numbers make them pop on the white background, more than I think the teal would, and that really reinforces the markings and the numbers. It's pretty interesting actually. I can sorta see what they meant when they said it implied the teal.

Again, this isn't the route I would have gone, and I do miss the gold accents of the OG Fred Taylor/Jimmy Smith uniforms, but I do think a lot went into these to make them simple but not too generic. We'll get to see how well this works on the field and with the different pants combinations. If they stick to pimarily black on black, teal on teal, and white on black then I will be massively disappointed. Use the teal with the other colors.

10 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

even though id like to see a bit more gold used i dont think its entirely necessary.

It's not necessary for an ok set. It is for a spectacular one. This could have been a modern classic with the right amount of gold. I've never seen the Jaguars as a black and teal only team and these definitely lack something...

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The trend obviously doesn't just apply to the NFL, and what do you mean "I think we're safe?"

The good news is, some teams have already moved away from this, the worse is teams that have other outlined elements yet single color numbers.

Just counting teams that have done it this decade.

NBA, probably the biggest participant of this trend.

Nets

Hornets (and it looks like crap)

Cavaliers (who in 2017 went back to outlined numbers)

Warriors

Bucks (Tho it looks like it could have a cream outline)

76ers (before the 2017 season, again like the cavs they came to their senses)

Suns (who like the 76ers and cavs, now have outlines again)

Trailblazers

Spurs- sorta (not the numbers, but the SPURS name)

Raptors

Jazz

I won't do the other leagues, and some of those teams like the nets, jazz, and a few others it fits.

Have to admit I like them. Their previous set was so strange and hideous that just about anything would've been an upgrade. It is a bit too stripped down (would like to see some kind of stripe going down the side of the pant legs) and 8 different combos is far far too much for any NFL team, but as a whole every combo is acceptable...they now look like a legitimate NFL team and not some arena league rejects.

8.5/10

Just now, gothedistance said:

Is the main color teal or black? Sorry for asking this, I've had a hard time paying attention to this.

It's Black. They did say they plan on wearing teal 2 times + another for color rush (uh......). So it is a 5-3 split assuming the times they wear white for home games or black for away games are equal. I think they're either doing this so they can then use throwback unis as the teals twice next year (and then have color rush?) or maybe they told retailers they were going for black as a primary before they decided they wanted to use teal more and couldn't change for this year.

Another interesting thing from the State of the Franchise event today, was the owner stated the design process started when Coughlin came in, which was only a little over a year ago. So the whole “It takes two years” thing kinda goes out the window. 

After sitting on it for a few hours, I've come to somewhat like the new uniforms. Some thoughts:

• I absolutely LOVE the helmet. That's sexy as hell. I was somewhat hoping for a matte shell, but damn I'm glad they went with gloss again. It's so pretty, especially in that Florida sunlight
  • While they're rather simple, the jerseys are clean. I do wish they had stripes somewhere other than the collar horns. 
  • The number font looks awfully similar to the 2009-12 set. I know it's different, but I think the 2s are nearly identical.
  • Pant stripes would truly make this a homerun for me. 
  • The curved stripes on the socks and back-of-knee are interesting. Does a decent job breaking up the leotard look with the pants, so that's a plus.
  • I don't like all the teal on the helmet. I like the 3D Bumpers, but hate the teal numbers. The original had gold numbers and it looks so much better.
  • Teal pants are spectacular. I never thought I'd say that. But I hope we see them with each of the jerseys.

Two concepts on Twitter I think really added some nice details.

Really like the gold outlines here. The teal numbers on the white are nice, but I'd be good with either black or teal honestly.

Chad added a simple pant stripe that I think really ties it all together quite well.

You add both these tweaks and I would truly adore this uniform set.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

54 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Vikings also have a history of single colored numbers. It's what they during their Super Bowl years. Not sure how an old school Vikings missed that ;) haha

1 minute ago, Clintau24 said:

After sitting on it for a few hours, I've come to somewhat like the new uniforms. Some thoughts:

• I absolutely LOVE the helmet. That's sexy as hell. I was somewhat hoping for a matte shell, but damn I'm glad they went with gloss again. It's so pretty, especially in that Florida sunlight
  • While they're rather simple, the jerseys are clean. I do wish they had stripes somewhere other than the collar horns. 
  • The number font looks awfully similar to the 2009-12 set. I know it's different, but I think the 2s are nearly identical.
  • Pant stripes would truly make this a homerun for me. 
  • The curved stripes on the socks and back-of-knee are interesting. Does a decent job breaking up the leotard look with the pants, so that's a plus.
  • I don't like all the teal on the helmet. I like the 3D Bumpers, but hate the teal numbers. The original had gold numbers and it looks so much better.
  • Teal pants are spectacular. I never thought I'd say that. But I hope we see them with each of the jerseys.

Two concepts on Twitter I think really added some nice details.

Really like the gold outlines here. The teal numbers on the white are nice, but I'd be good with either black or teal honestly.

Chad added a simple pant stripe that I think really ties it all together quite well.

You add both these tweaks and I would truly adore this uniform set.

The problem with that concept is that if they had revealed that today, everybody would be saying they look like the panthers instead of the Raiders.

Archived