JagAaron33

Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, scraw28 said:

I like the car wash black finish on the helmet 

 

Your signature file is two giant Photobucket error messages. Pls fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Black numbers on the shoulders, white on the front and back. Huge stripes on the sleeves and merit stickers all over the helmet. They are old and traditional, but that literally has nothing to do with anything else you said. Are you buying a Jags jersey and an Ohio State jersey? Might as well have just said this.

 

 

Stop being so confrontational and pedantic (I'm sorry to be redundant just now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are a downgrade, aside from the helmet. Up close that high gloss helmet looks great, even though I like the experimentation with different finishes.

 

The black and white look sucks for every team that does it. When the Saints go white on black, it sucks. When the Ravens do white on black, is sucks. Now the Jags will do white on black, and it will suck worse. 

 

If they kept the pants stripes it may have salvaged something. As things are, these are boring as hell. Don't mind losing the shoulder caps (especially since they haven't changed the emphasis on black over teal) but I dearly miss their pants stripes and numbers.

 

They won't look horrible though, just generic. Similar to how I feel about the Cavs. Aesthetically it's fine, but in the context of the franchise is a head scratcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Stop being so confrontational and pedantic (I'm sorry to be redundant just now).

Pretty sure you just like using the word pedantic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Pretty sure you just like using the word pedantic.

Pretty sure you just like being a troll...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

 

Great. These uniforms are for a team that plays in the NFL. The NFL and college football have a different visual aesthetic and that's true regardless of the apparel company they use. They should look like an NFL team and not Coastal Carolina's practice uniform. 

 

55 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Did I think about college football?  Oh, Lord, I completely forgot to think about college football!!  

 

Holy crap!

 

Thank God you're here, Mr. Brown1.

 

I'm going to go think about college football for a while. I'll probably be gone for a bit, but I really need to spend some time thinking about college football.

The last five (5) Nike football uniform reveals we’ve seen here on these boards are Illinois, Va Tech, Titans, Jags, Dolphins. 3 out of those 5 now use single colored numbers. I believe that would be the “trend” that was being spoken of that someone was trying to debunk it down to 2 in multiple years. It is a recent trend. Illinois did exactly what Jacksonville did in almost the exact same way. So to say there is a different aesthetic. I get it. But both them and Illinois are probably wearing the exact same template. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

Pretty sure you just like being a troll...

If being a troll is having a personality then I understand what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Pretty sure you just like using the word pedantic.

You've been given a warning point on the matter. You've been told to cut it off a few times by mods publicly. So maybe keep that in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helmet%20_OP_2_CP__1524153768198.jpg_114Helmet%20_OP_3_CP__1524153773746.jpg_114

 

I just cant get over how well done the helmets are. The helmet was the worst thing about the last design and now they have what I would say is the best one yet.

 

JAX is so much better than "JAGS". I'm guilty of using the nickname but I don't prefer it and didn't like that it was everywhere after 2013. Also hoping this stops any JAC nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to look forward to uniform unveilings. :mellow:

 

The teal jersey is fine-ish, I guess.  And that kind of feels like a win.  The helmets look great.

 

The uniforms Fred Taylor wore (black or teal numbers on the whites), were some of the best uniforms the NFL has ever had.  That the team continues to not go back to them is so disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, henburg said:

Reflecting on the two reveals today, I realize how strange it is that I really dislike one (the Jags) and love the other (the Phins) since both are pretty similar in how simplistic they are. Yet, since the Dolphins embraced their bright, beautiful colors, their set is timely and stunning while still remaining simplistic and traditional. If the Jags had simply added more teal to the aways and outlined the numbers in a gold outline, I bet I'd really like these. A pants stripe of any kind would be nice too. 

 

Not a fair comparison, since the Dolphins were more of a tweak vs a total redesign. The dolphins design has been in place for years, they simply replaced one color (blue) with more of another (orange.)

 

 

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i really think the shock of the Jags unis will wear off and with time, and come to be more appreciated. put these unis in the football world 10 years ago; how many could say they were too simple then? i think the most negative effect in the post ProCombat era is there is more expected from a uniform and it has to be this storytelling peice. which was really cool for a few years but now, seeing a uniform that compares with Texas, Penn state, even the Lions throwback feels like such a releif for me. especially a team with a unique color like teal, even though id like to see a bit more gold used i dont think its entirely necessary. and seeing the old Jags or new Titans, Buccs, Browns... this looks like a uniform that has all the right things in mind and even if they leaned too far towards simplicity? i think thats way better than the alternative. they gave up the “hunting from the shadows” BS and approached this one with the thought of “we’re here to play football”. that is such a great thing to hear

 

YOu can't compare them with Texas, Penn State, and the Lions throwbacks because those other teams had only one (Texas or Penn State) or two (Lions) non-white colors, so simple options made sense.  The jags use black, teal, and gold as non-white colors, so any option that rivals the ones you mentioned would leave a major color out, which renders what they went with a failure.

 

3 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

 

The trend obviously doesn't just apply to the NFL, and what do you mean "I think we're safe?"

The good news is, some teams have already moved away from this, the worse is teams that have other outlined elements yet single color numbers.

 

Just counting teams that have done it this decade.

NBA, probably the biggest participant of this trend.

Nets

Hornets (and it looks like crap)

Cavaliers (who in 2017 went back to outlined numbers)

Warriors

Bucks (Tho it looks like it could have a cream outline)

76ers (before the 2017 season, again like the cavs they came to their senses)

Suns (who like the 76ers and cavs, now have outlines again)

Trailblazers

Spurs- sorta (not the numbers, but the SPURS name)

Raptors

Jazz

 

I won't do the other leagues, and some of those teams like the nets, jazz, and a few others it fits.

 

 

There's no problem with single color numbers, just like there's no prob with double or triple color numbers.  It all depends on the stiuation.   

 

To hate all single-color-number uniforms is absolutely stupid.  In many ways, a plain single-colored number can actually accentuate a jersey.  A plain number draws attention to other design elements (like Steelers sleeve strips).  In this case, it's a poor choice, but in general there's nothing wrong wtih single color numbers.

 

3 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

Another interesting thing from the State of the Franchise event today, was the owner stated the design process started when Coughlin came in, which was only a little over a year ago. So the whole “It takes two years” thing kinda goes out the window. 

 

It doesn't throw anything out the window.  THey could have filed two years prior, and only gotten to the one phase once Tom C joined.  I bet they were already into the design prior to that, but even if not, it doesn't mean they started after the two-year mandate.

 

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Let's be honest, I'd need about five minutes to come up with uniforms like these... A year is more than enough.

 

This is stupid.  It's easy to say after seeing what they revealed, but you weren't the one dealing with the team and trying to meet everything they wanted (whatever that was.)  It's so easy to say stuff like this after something is unveiled, but the bottom line is you didn't come up with this.  You're just a guy on a message board like 99% of the rest of us.

 

2 hours ago, Brown1 said:

Did you think about college football? Seems pretty popular there. These boards cover more than just the NFL.

 

Dude, I love your style, but come on.  We're obv not discussing college here.  In fact, many of us have compared these to college unis in a derogatory manner.  It's clear that unless someone specifically mentions anything about college, the comments are restricted to NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

After sitting on it for a few hours, I've come to somewhat like the new uniforms. Some thoughts:

 

  • I absolutely LOVE the helmet. That's sexy as hell. I was somewhat hoping for a matte shell, but damn I'm glad they went with gloss again. It's so pretty, especially in that Florida sunlight
  • While they're rather simple, the jerseys are clean. I do wish they had stripes somewhere other than the collar horns. 
  • The number font looks awfully similar to the 2009-12 set. I know it's different, but I think the 2s are nearly identical.
  • Pant stripes would truly make this a homerun for me. 
  • The curved stripes on the socks and back-of-knee are interesting. Does a decent job breaking up the leotard look with the pants, so that's a plus.
  • I don't like all the teal on the helmet. I like the 3D Bumpers, but hate the teal numbers. The original had gold numbers and it looks so much better.
  • Teal pants are spectacular. I never thought I'd say that. But I hope we see them with each of the jerseys.

Two concepts on Twitter I think really added some nice details.

 

 

Really like the gold outlines here. The teal numbers on the white are nice, but I'd be good with either black or teal honestly.

 

 

 

Chad added a simple pant stripe that I think really ties it all together quite well.

 

You add both these tweaks and I would truly adore this uniform set.

 

Yep. this pants stripe is the missing piece here. Especially if they wore the black jersey with teal pants combination, that black pants stripe would work perfectly.

 

Thinking about it more though, I believe they are the ONLY team in the league now without a pant stripe on their primary pants. Maybe the lack of this element is what sets them apart now? i don't know, I appreciate minimalism, but I typically don't care for football uniforms without a pants stripe, not a fan of that trend in college football either. However I appreciate the possibility that the Jags knew that the lack of any vertical element on the pants at all would set them apart in a weird way.

 

like a few others have said, I think that people are going to really warm up to this uniform when they see white jersey - teal pants and black jersey - teal pants combos on the field. Both are going to look beautiful. So even though the gripe that the teal uniforms arent the primary is a valid one, the fact that they added teal pants is huge.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elliott said:

I believe they are the ONLY team in the league now without a pant stripe on their primary pants.

I don't know what primary pants are, but the Saints and the Ravens wear plain black pants a lot with just a logo on the side of the hip.

 

calais-1-full.jpg

 

I think a gold pants stripe could bring the whole thing together in a Giants kind of way. I don't mind the teal and black jerseys at all (teal should be the primary, of course). I don't love them, but I don't mind them. Their only crime is being part of the conspiracy to kill off the gold. The white jersey is TOO plain. I mean, like, objectively... right? Completely black and white, save for a logo and a swoosh, is just not acceptable when you also have teal and gold in your scheme.

 

Teal and black jerseys... B

White jersey... D+

Pants... F

 

The pants are not good. There needs to be something there. Even a rhombus or parallelogram or whatever shape Nike is into right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

To hate all single-color-number uniforms is absolutely stupid.  In many ways, a plain single-colored number can actually accentuate a jersey.  A plain number draws attention to other design elements (like Steelers sleeve strips).  In this case, it's a poor choice, but in general there's nothing wrong wtih single color numbers.

 

 

 

Yea I forgot to add that Single Color numbers are fine when done right, like the nets, jazz and others looks great, like any style, when done bad it looks bad (Especially when the team name is outlined but for some reason the numbers aren't), and when good it looks good (Dallas Stars). I was just pointing out it more teams started using them than normal this past decade, but obviously single color numbers has always an option some teams used (Jets switched to them in 1998).

The Jaguars don't look good, if there was other elements to help the uniforms out then maybe the numbers wouldn't be so bad but right now they look like a high school team that had a tight budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Jacksonville-Jaguars-New-Uniforms-2018-Unveiled.jpg

The two best looks this team would have aren't even pictured...I hope they use them!

 

teal jersey w/white pants and white jersey w/teal pants.

 

i wonder what the white jersey would look like with teal numbers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

 

Yea I forgot to add that Single Color numbers are fine when done right, like the nets, jazz and others looks great, like any style, when done bad it looks bad (Especially when the team name is outlined but for some reason the numbers aren't), and when good it looks good (Dallas Stars). I was just pointing out it more teams started using them than normal this past decade, but obviously single color numbers has always an option some teams used (Jets switched to them in 1998).

The Jaguars don't look good, if there was other elements to help the uniforms out then maybe the numbers wouldn't be so bad but right now they look like a high school team that had a tight budget.

 

Funny, I hate the Dallas stars’ use of single color #s. 

 

The old browns were another example of it working really well. That jersey would have been downgraded by an outline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is stupid.  It's easy to say after seeing what they revealed, but you weren't the one dealing with the team and trying to meet everything they wanted (whatever that was.)  It's so easy to say stuff like this after something is unveiled, but the bottom line is you didn't come up with this.  You're just a guy on a message board like 99% of the rest of us.

 

I was pointing out the fact that the two years process to come up with new uniform was certainly exagerated. I'm not saying they haven't worked on those but you don't need a team of top notch designers to go back to the old helmets, nearly blank jerseys with single colored block numbers and plain pants. Now back to my Cheetos wiping my hands on my white wife beater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

Not a fair comparison, since the Dolphins were more of a tweak vs a total redesign. The dolphins design has been in place for years, they simply replaced one color (blue) with more of another (orange.)

 

 

 

YOu can't compare them with Texas, Penn State, and the Lions throwbacks because those other teams had only one (Texas or Penn State) or two (Lions) non-white colors, so simple options made sense.  The jags use black, teal, and gold as non-white colors, so any option that rivals the ones you mentioned would leave a major color out, which renders what they went with a failure.

 

 

There's no problem with single color numbers, just like there's no prob with double or triple color numbers.  It all depends on the stiuation.   

 

To hate all single-color-number uniforms is absolutely stupid.  In many ways, a plain single-colored number can actually accentuate a jersey.  A plain number draws attention to other design elements (like Steelers sleeve strips).  In this case, it's a poor choice, but in general there's nothing wrong wtih single color numbers.

 

 

It doesn't throw anything out the window.  THey could have filed two years prior, and only gotten to the one phase once Tom C joined.  I bet they were already into the design prior to that, but even if not, it doesn't mean they started after the two-year mandate.

 

 

This is stupid.  It's easy to say after seeing what they revealed, but you weren't the one dealing with the team and trying to meet everything they wanted (whatever that was.)  It's so easy to say stuff like this after something is unveiled, but the bottom line is you didn't come up with this.  You're just a guy on a message board like 99% of the rest of us.

 

 

Dude, I love your style, but come on.  We're obv not discussing college here.  In fact, many of us have compared these to college unis in a derogatory manner.  It's clear that unless someone specifically mentions anything about college, the comments are restricted to NFL.

 

i dont think you need to use every color in the uniform thats in the logos. the classic example is the Blackhawks. the Steelers and now Dolphins dont. but the logo shows up twice on the uniform so its not void of gold. id like to see some more gold too, but thats just on personal tastes; i dont thinnk it would actually make the uni any better. it wouldnt make it more recognizable or numbers more legible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brown1 said:

 

The last five (5) Nike football uniform reveals we’ve seen here on these boards are Illinois, Va Tech, Titans, Jags, Dolphins. 3 out of those 5 now use single colored numbers. I believe that would be the “trend” that was being spoken of that someone was trying to debunk it down to 2 in multiple years. It is a recent trend. Illinois did exactly what Jacksonville did in almost the exact same way. So to say there is a different aesthetic. I get it. But both them and Illinois are probably wearing the exact same template. 

 

Illinois' new stuff kind of sucks though. They're also a college team so they can jump on the next trend when it zooms by next month. I'm not arguing single color numbers aren't a trend across sports because it very clearly is. I'm saying that something that works in college, like Illinois' new set (which is basically the exact same thing as Syracuse's), doesn't necessarily work for an NFL team because the designs try to achieve very different design goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BucsBoy02 said:

Would have liked to have seen the accents in gold with a black collar. It would have been reminiscent of their first uniforms with the black cuff and gold stripe. Also instead of having the neck stripes end abruptly and been pointed off would have better matched the cuff stripes. I have no problems with the helmets, they are fine the way they are now. As for pants they could have done something to match the striping pattern. I think the single color numbers is fine, it kind of reminds me of way back when most team had white numbers on colorful templates. Also going back to a lighter shade of gold to me fits better. 

 

Here is a quick mock up of what I would have done with this set. 

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

 

Now that they have the foundation of a good uniform back in place, that’s really all it needs (minus the black jersey; I’ve just never cared for it as it never seems to be as good as its teal counterpart).

 

I really like the purposeful use of teal, and paring the stripes down to just black and gold. It reminds me of the original uniform in that way and it looks great. It’s just as simple, but the litttle bit of gold and the teal numbers make it a Jaguars uniform (great pant design, by the way).

 

12 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

 

The trend obviously doesn't just apply to the NFL, and what do you mean "I think we're safe?"

The good news is, some teams have already moved away from this, the worse is teams that have other outlined elements yet single color numbers.

 

Just counting teams that have done it this decade.

NBA, probably the biggest participant of this trend.

Nets

Hornets (and it looks like crap)

Cavaliers (who in 2017 went back to outlined numbers)

Warriors

Bucks (Tho it looks like it could have a cream outline)

76ers (before the 2017 season, again like the cavs they came to their senses)

Suns (who like the 76ers and cavs, now have outlines again)

Trailblazers

Spurs- sorta (not the numbers, but the SPURS name)

Raptors

Jazz

 

I won't do the other leagues, and some of those teams like the nets, jazz, and a few others it fits.

 

 

This is is an interesting conversation. I think the styling of the numbers is dictated by how well it coordinates with your team identity. Many of those teams’ marks work best with a single color number, but some, like the Cavs or Bucks, invite more opportunity for multi-color numbers.

 

It’s also interesting to me that the attachment to number trim is semi-unique to American sports. The aesthetic is not as prevalent outside of North America.

 

Can any equipment staffers or lettering sewers attest to how multi-color typography affects what you do? Do the multi-colored numbers always come in pre-constructed, or do you ever have to layer them yourself?

 

12 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

After sitting on it for a few hours, I've come to somewhat like the new uniforms. Some thoughts:

 

  • I absolutely LOVE the helmet. That's sexy as hell. I was somewhat hoping for a matte shell, but damn I'm glad they went with gloss again. It's so pretty, especially in that Florida sunlight
  • While they're rather simple, the jerseys are clean. I do wish they had stripes somewhere other than the collar horns. 
  • The number font looks awfully similar to the 2009-12 set. I know it's different, but I think the 2s are nearly identical.
  • Pant stripes would truly make this a homerun for me. 
  • The curved stripes on the socks and back-of-knee are interesting. Does a decent job breaking up the leotard look with the pants, so that's a plus.
  • I don't like all the teal on the helmet. I like the 3D Bumpers, but hate the teal numbers. The original had gold numbers and it looks so much better.
  • Teal pants are spectacular. I never thought I'd say that. But I hope we see them with each of the jerseys.

Two concepts on Twitter I think really added some nice details.

 

 

Really like the gold outlines here. The teal numbers on the white are nice, but I'd be good with either black or teal honestly.

 

 

 

Chad added a simple pant stripe that I think really ties it all together quite well.

 

You add both these tweaks and I would truly adore this uniform set.

 

I thought gold trim was a viable option, but after seeing these two, I’m blown away by how much I actually like it. It’s bright, unique, and has a subtlety that adds just the right amount of richness. The black trim feels clunky in comparison.

 

11 hours ago, Brown1 said:

Yes but the single outline numbers are a football trend. As in what we’ve seen in a lot of reveals lately. They both wear football pants, jerseys, and helmets from billion dollar companies and one of them happens to do high school, college, and NFL uniforms....

 

I’d argue it’s more of a design trend than a football trend, and all high-profile uniforms are now created with the guidance of designers, not just coaches, executives, and equipment staff like it was way back when.

 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

Funny, I hate the Dallas stars’ use of single color #s. 

 

The old browns were another example of it working really well. That jersey would have been downgraded by an outline. 

 

In my opinion, the Stars don’t look as clean with trim on the numbers, but you’re talking to the guy who thinks the same about the Blackhawks (I love the early Stan Mikita version), and they wear very similar styles. That uniform style just looks right with single color numbers to me. I think it’s the way the white number coordinates perfectly with the white stripe. Chicago also has all that color to balance a simply styled number, of which there is less in Dallas.

 

891f2c19c747aae82bc1625141dc676b.jpg

 

Totally agree on the Browns, though, and I think for the same reason. The numbers look best when they mirror the crisp white stripe against the brown jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.