Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Now that they have the foundation of a good uniform back in place, that’s really all it needs (minus the black jersey; I’ve just never cared for it as it never seems to be as good as its teal counterpart).

I really like the purposeful use of teal, and paring the stripes down to just black and gold. It reminds me of the original uniform in that way and it looks great. It’s just as simple, but the litttle bit of gold and the teal numbers make it a Jaguars uniform (great pant design, by the way).

This is is an interesting conversation. I think the styling of the numbers is dictated by how well it coordinates with your team identity. Many of those teams’ marks work best with a single color number, but some, like the Cavs or Bucks, invite more opportunity for multi-color numbers.

It’s also interesting to me that the attachment to number trim is semi-unique to American sports. The aesthetic is not as prevalent outside of North America.

Can any equipment staffers or lettering sewers attest to how multi-color typography affects what you do? Do the multi-colored numbers always come in pre-constructed, or do you ever have to layer them yourself?

I thought gold trim was a viable option, but after seeing these two, I’m blown away by how much I actually like it. It’s bright, unique, and has a subtlety that adds just the right amount of richness. The black trim feels clunky in comparison.

I’d argue it’s more of a design trend than a football trend, and all high-profile uniforms are now created with the guidance of designers, not just coaches, executives, and equipment staff like it was way back when.

In my opinion, the Stars don’t look as clean with trim on the numbers, but you’re talking to the guy who thinks the same about the Blackhawks (I love the early Stan Mikita version), and they wear very similar styles. That uniform style just looks right with single color numbers to me. I think it’s the way the white number coordinates perfectly with the white stripe. Chicago also has all that color to balance a simply styled number, of which there is less in Dallas.

891f2c19c747aae82bc1625141dc676b.jpg

Totally agree on the Browns, though, and I think for the same reason. The numbers look best when they mirror the crisp white stripe against the brown jersey.

O/T, I see this photo and "Here Come the Hawks" pops into my head.

Looking at this again after a day, I will give these minimal jerseys one positive:

There's no stupid unnecessary design choice to highlight the Nike Swoosh!!

Seattle has that stupid design element that draws the eye to the swoosh

Minnesota has that weird curve on the white stripe to accentuate the swoosh

Tennessee has the swoosh in red which is the ONLY PLACE RED APPEARS ON THE JERSEYS

Tampa Bay is the Orange on Pewter so that's kind of a hard nitpick as it's a contrasting color, but considering how minimal the orange is on the jerseys aside from the weird triangles on the front, it can be part of this. (Jacksonville has kinda fallen into this due to the teal swoosh on the black jersey)

So a minor blessing on that part.

On a tangent of that, People blame Nike or blame the ownership.  I feel there's a dual blame on a lot of these.  Some of the overdesigns like the Titans and such may be Nike creating concepts that they've come up with and proposing them to ownership.  yes ownership has the final say but Nike still has their own brand and agenda behind a lot of these designs too.  This new one feels like they kept presenting more outlandish designs with Coughlin (or whomever) shooting them all down until they got fed up and just presented the blandest, boringest concept they could come up with and they just went with it.  There has to be blame on all sides involved when these not-up-to-expectations designs are presented.

There just isn't enough with these jerseys or pants.  Gold highlights, Jaguar head on the pants.  SOME FREAKEN STRIPES SOMEWHERE!!!  Traditional shouldn't mean bland.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i dont think you need to use every color in the uniform thats in the logos. the classic example is the Blackhawks. the Steelers and now Dolphins dont. but the logo shows up twice on the uniform so its not void of gold. id like to see some more gold too, but thats just on personal tastes; i dont thinnk it would actually make the uni any better. it wouldnt make it more recognizable or numbers more legible

I agree you do not need to use every color but in the Jags case you should as I think every tasteful concept I have seen that uses them all looks better than the plain versions they used... But again the abomination of a helmet is gone so I really do not won't to complain... I almost like the newer logo now even though it is rendered poorly.....

12 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Teal jerseys are the best, and all teal is a fine look.

Weird how Fournette's white jersey didn't have the swooshes (obviously not sewn on prior to testing, but still weird). The white jersey is really weak without teal numbers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

There's no stupid unnecessary design choice to highlight the Nike Swoosh!!

Seattle has that stupid design element that draws the eye to the swoosh

Minnesota has that weird curve on the white stripe to accentuate the swoosh

Tennessee has the swoosh in red which is the ONLY PLACE RED APPEARS ON THE JERSEYS

Tampa Bay is the Orange on Pewter so that's kind of a hard nitpick as it's a contrasting color, but considering how minimal the orange is on the jerseys aside from the weird triangles on the front, it can be part of this. (Jacksonville has kinda fallen into this due to the teal swoosh on the black jersey)

C'mon now. Don't reach. The curve isn't to accentuate the swoosh, the curve is to accentuate the Viking horn. The same horn that is resembled in the numbers and other stripes.

6 minutes ago, gek_6 said:

C'mon now. Don't reach. The curve isn't to accentuate the swoosh, the curve is to accentuate the Viking horn. The same horn that is resembled in the numbers and other stripes.

Isn't the curve on the numbers meant to symbolize sails?

min-13-allpurple-1-675x380.jpg12936315804_a1c505f897_o.jpg

In any case, there's no reason they couldn't keep the stripes flat like the front half.  It's an unnecessary design element for the sake of drawing attention to where Nike's logo is located.  No amount of Nike-speak or marketing jargon can justify not having a traditional stripe.

4 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Isn't the curve on the numbers meant to symbolize sails?

In any case, there's no reason they couldn't keep the stripes flat like the front half.  It's an unnecessary design element for the sake of drawing attention to where Nike's logo is located.  No amount of Nike-speak or marketing jargon can justify not having a traditional stripe.

I like the sail evocation a lot. It actually looks like that. Same with the numbers (if they were fully executed). Uniform sponsor logos are going to be on the jersey. Might as well do something with them.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I’m not gonna lie....this video put them in a whole different perspective. The all teal is deff is a hell of a look! That’s gonna look really cool with the black pants or the white. The black with the teal will look good too. Still hate the white ones. I don’t think I’ll ever like those. I will say tho the white with the black pants is gonna look really clean. 

I hate to say this....they’re growing on me...

Going to have to admit that after seeing that video these arent as bad as I originally thought. The all white sucks but the Black with Teal elements looks really good and the Teal top and bottom both look vibrant. If they pair the Teal pants with the white top these might turn out to be just fine.

Also, the helmet is top 10 in league

3 minutes ago, bowld said:

Going to have to admit that after seeing that video these arent as bad as I originally thought. The all white sucks but the Black with Teal elements looks really good and the Teal top and bottom both look vibrant. If they pair the Teal pants with the white top these might turn out to be just fine.

Also, the helmet is top 10 in league

I agree seeing them up close and in motion made the Black and Teal ones really pop.

14 minutes ago, bowld said:

With teal pants these actually look damn good

3veHwbH.jpg

If they insist on having the black jersey as the primary, then at least this would be a nice way to still incorporate a large amount of teal. However, I’ll be pretty surprised if that combo gets worn all that much, if at all, considering the promo shots showed the black and white pants being mixed with the different jerseys, but the teal pants only being worn with the teal tops. That’s not to say they won’t wear the teal pants with the black or white jerseys at some point, but it doesn’t seem very likely, at least at first. I just wish they wouldn’t go all-black at home, but we all know they will. And hidden in Paul Lukas’ ESPN piece on the new uniforms yesterday was this: “A team spokesman says the plan is for the team to pair the black jersey with black pants for most home games.” So, yeah, we’ll unfortunately be seeing a lot of the mono-black look, even though the teal and white pants both create much better looks overall.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived