Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why some would consider the simplicity lazy but keeping in mind that this was exactly what they wanted with no unnecessary details added I find myself really appreciating the overall design.

I don't see one feature that was added for the sole purpose of increasing profits, it's almost unbelievable. The numbers aren't shaped like the state of Florida, there arent giant wordmarks plastered all over the place. They are only what Tom Coughlin said they would be. Classic, traditional, distinctive, NFL uniforms.

And just my opinion but my favorite thing about the original uniforms was the menacing glossy black helmet. Seeing the new one really brought back memories of those old helmets which looked so good against teams like the Dolphins and Patriots. If I had to pick one thing to bring back it would be that and I'm so happy they did.

My .02-nicer helmet, hate leotard socks (or that weird stripe), hate the lack of gold, lack of pants stripes, and lack of number trim. Not a fan of chest patches and I feel if they need to have one, why isn’t the head turning inward?

KISSwall09.jpg

So here's where I tell on myself...

...For something like the past twelve years or so I've had these Jaguars jerseys in my collection (for the longest time Jacksonville was my Team "B", after all)...decided to pull them back out once more for comparison's sake...

OvW8feV.jpg

3LAmsNY.jpg

(Yes, that's an inaugural season authentic autographed Mark Brunell...that one was supplied by Wilson...I even have the certificate that came with it! The Greg Jones one is "authentic", too...not pictured is the Jones-Drew jersey I gave away.)

While I can appreciate the Jaguars' most recent approach, it still doesn't hold a candle to either of these. They're also simplistic...but with simple intricacies (like, say, gold trim?) that make them distinctive. Also of note: that Brunell really makes me miss the days of dazzle fabric....

It's crazy that Jacksonville is now on its fourth different identity look in just over 20 years.  Meanwhile, by my recollection, short of a few small tweaks, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Denver all have looked the same, as have of course the Panthers, over that same period of time.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The number and NOB font for the Brunell are off - you sure that's authentic?  The 8 should have little notches inside the squares.

14672014%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe not the inaugural unis but the new set does look like an updated version of what the Jaguars wore from 2004-2008.

The new home uniform is basically the black alternate that they wore. Take out the extra logos and swap gold for the better accent color (teal) and you get the new all blacks.

o6iQYXU.jpg

Unpopular opinion maybe but I really liked the away uniform. The black and gold looked really good together, but it pretty much had no teal, just like the new set.

bNJwep4.jpg

I thought that they would go back to teal as the primary, but the mono teal looks so good I'm ok with them just bringing it out for big games. Teal pants also gave them more flexibility and allowed them to keep the designs consistent. I did not like that the white pants that they normally wore at home had stripes but the black ones did not.

9JJ3hLa.jpg

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The number and NOB font for the Brunell are off - you sure that's authentic?  The 8 should have little notches inside the squares.

14672014%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

The '95 Jaguars unis also had the "Wilson Staff" logo (W/S in a shield) instead of the regular Wilson W.

Sorry, @Buc.

oct-1995-wide-receiver-desmond-howard-of

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yikes...that's what happens when you're young and wide-eyed! 

(Like I said, its been well over 10 years since I've even looked at those. Yeah I got got all right!)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

It's definitely a Wilson.

But hey, it's all good...I forgot how nice the quality and finish of the construction was of retail authentics back then! The teal and gold really dazzle on that one as compared to the Reebok one.

32 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

That screams knock off. 

I don't think it is, the original poster is a pretty famous person on YouTube. He probably just got some product early.

Here is their Instagram post for this photo quality is better (still has a filter)

Archived