Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

Clearly these unis were designed in a bubble. People didn't like the 2009 rebrand, and the 2013 one was even worse. Instead of learning from the fan backlash in both cases, they went out and made a uniform so bland it defies common sense. No pants stripes, no borders to the numbers...no better than practice uniforms.

I don't see these selling very well, there's absolutely nothing unique about them. The 95-08 throwbacks will outsell these. Maybe Coughlin & his cronies will learn from that in 2023 when they do the next rebrand.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, BucsBoy02 said:

Would have liked to have seen the accents in gold with a black collar. It would have been reminiscent of their first uniforms with the black cuff and gold stripe. Also instead of having the neck stripes end abruptly and been pointed off would have better matched the cuff stripes. I have no problems with the helmets, they are fine the way they are now. As for pants they could have done something to match the striping pattern. I think the single color numbers is fine, it kind of reminds me of way back when most team had white numbers on colorful templates. Also going back to a lighter shade of gold to me fits better. 

Here is a quick mock up of what I would have done with this set. 

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

This is the second concept I've seen today (the other being the one from Reddit) that's markedly better than what the Jags unveiled. So frustrating.

I'm relatively new hear and also a Jaguars fan, so this won't be an unbiased take.

First and foremost, they aren't what I was expecting or hoping for, but I am still happy with the outcome. But I will break down a bit of why I like them even though I wanted something a bit different.

When judging new designs I think there are 4 parts you have to consider.

1) What were the goals of the design?
2) Did the design hit the goals?
3) Were there other designs that could better hit these goals?
4) Were the goals the correct goals for this design?

The first part is obvious. The team wanted a design that would be simple, would have a traditional look, and one that would have elements reminiscent of past designs. They also wanted to move away from gold entirely in non-logo elements.

So did they hit them? Mostly. The designs are obviously simple, and they mimic a fashion of traditional look that you can see in other uniforms (ex. Alabama and Penn State). They also restrict the colors to teal, black, and white. However, they do lack certain aspects that would be traditional to the Jaguars uniforms. Most notably ditching the gold striping and double outlines. But it does have elements from all previous uniforms. The numbers are reminiscent of the numbers of their second major version of uniforms. The helmets are reminiscent of their original helmets. They have the simplicity of their original uniforms, and they have the collars of the last version of uniforms. It was evident from the trailer they showed before showing off the uniforms that this was a goal they had, and they reached it pretty well.

Were there other designs that could better hit these goals? Well, not really. There could be alterations, for sure. They could have had pants swipes, but those would distract from the simplicity of the uniforms. They could have number outlines, but those would go away from the style they were trying to mimic. Maybe the biggest issue is the insistence of sticking with black as a primary, but it does appear that they're going for as much of a 50% split on each uniform combo as possible (5 games black, 3 games teal). Overall they had well defined goals, and hit them well.

Were the goals the correct goals? Maybe not. It seems like they were over-correcting from the previous uniforms. They also leaned heavily on a specific vision of traditional, where some might point to the Bills, old Giants, or old Dolphins as their vision of traditional. Personally, I would have done what the original uniforms did and given the teal jerseys gold bits. But the old jerseys had black alternates that also replaced all the teal with black to make that pure black with gold bits. 

There are rumors that next year (the 25th anniversary of the team existing) they will have throwbacks to their original uniforms, maybe not out right mimicking them is the best idea. You can sell a new set of merchandise, you can honor the original success of the team separately, and if the NFL always starts throwback games again then you will have that option ready to go.

Overall, I personally rate them a B+. I'm glad we won't get ridiculed for 2-tone helmets, and I'm also glad they won't look as inconsistent as our 1st redesign. I feel like I will really enjoy them on Sundays (and Mondays....and Thursdays), but I won't really know until I see them on the field.

Also the new Titans uniforms make the old Titans uniforms look like classics, and their logo as a concept is still dumb.

20 minutes ago, BucsBoy02 said:

Would have liked to have seen the accents in gold with a black collar. It would have been reminiscent of their first uniforms with the black cuff and gold stripe. Also instead of having the neck stripes end abruptly and been pointed off would have better matched the cuff stripes. I have no problems with the helmets, they are fine the way they are now. As for pants they could have done something to match the striping pattern. I think the single color numbers is fine, it kind of reminds me of way back when most team had white numbers on colorful templates. Also going back to a lighter shade of gold to me fits better. 

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

The teal and white jersey look good, but the teal/gold stripe mix on the black jersey just doesn't look right. Maybe flip the order of teal and gold?

2 hours ago, Ice Man said:

Chris Negron (twitter name) posted this photoshop on the Jags' tweet.

So simple and would have made these a lot less plain Jane looking.

I still would have hated the yoga pants but this would have had much more life to them.

DbKTyWfUwAAe9p6.jpg

Nope, this would be a massive downgrade.  

One-color outlines?  Sure.  I'd prefer gold, but black would work.  Two-color outlines are too busy; the Dolphins just showed us that.

33 minutes ago, BucsBoy02 said:

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

Hey look, it's the Jaguars!

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Nope, this would be a massive downgrade.  

One-color outlines?  Sure.  I'd prefer gold, but black would work.  Two-color outlines are too busy; the Dolphins just showed us that.

I don't agree with that RULE.  The Dolphins didn't work because Navy-ish Aqua marine color wasn't right, and the outlines were too thin.  The teal jersey looks great with gold and black.  The white jersey is a bit busy because the numbers should be teal with gold and black again framing it.  The black doesn't look good because all black just doesn't look good with those color combos, and never has in their history.

40 minutes ago, BucsBoy02 said:

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

So much better.

This seems right. It makes the actual jersey seem even more like a practice jersey.

8 minutes ago, jdavidev said:

I don't agree with that RULE.  The Dolphins didn't work because Navy-ish Aqua marine color wasn't right, and the outlines were too thin.  The teal jersey looks great with gold and black.  The white jersey is a bit busy because the numbers should be teal with gold and black again framing it.  The black doesn't look good because all black just doesn't look good with those color combos, and never has in their history.

The Jags’ double-outlined numbers have been uniformly hideous in the past. 

A single-outline would improve this set, a douple-outline is worse than none at all. 

1 hour ago, BucsBoy02 said:

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

These are perfect! 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BucsBoy02 said:

new_zpsl4rtvnv8.png 

new%202_zpsaeom7sot.png

New%203_zpsmeo9a7ts.png

These are absolutely perfect!!! It’s that simple to get right....I don’t understand how someone who does it in their spare time on a forums board can come up with something 1000x better while the guys who are making millions continuously get it wrong time after time after time...

Are these simple? Yes. Too simple? Yes. But they are still better than the uniforms from the 2013 rebrand. These are some gold trim on the collars and shoulders as well as teal numbers of the white jersey away from being a great set. Some outlines on the numbers would be nice as well, but I can live with the stripe-less pants. The pants used before were awful and are rightfully thrown in the garbage with the infamous two-toned helmet (the new helmet is beautiful btw). 

The teal pants are great and hopefully are the primary option on the home and on the road (although wearing full black or black jersey/white pants once or twice at home won't hurt). Black/teal/black really should have been the primary though, and unfortunately that's a missed opportunity.

Also, quick question that someone here probably knows, would promoting the teal jersey to home and demoting the black jersey to a third (with no design changes to either) violate the 5-year rule? 

8 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Are these simple? Yes. Too simple? Yes. But they are still better than the uniforms from the 2013 rebrand. These are some gold trim on the collars and shoulders as well as teal numbers of the white jersey away from being a great set. Some outlines on the numbers would be nice as well, but I can live with the stripe-less pants. The pants used before were awful and are rightfully thrown in the garbage with the infamous two-toned helmet (the new helmet is beautiful btw). 

The teal pants are great and hopefully are the primary option on the home and on the road (although wearing full black or black jersey/white pants once or twice at home won't hurt). Black/teal/black really should have been the primary though, and unfortunately that's a missed opportunity.

Also, quick question that someone here probably knows, would promoting the teal jersey to home and demoting the black jersey to a third (with no design changes to either) violate the 5-year rule? 

NOBODY knows the 5-year rule, but my best guess is that it would be allowed. 

I assume retailers stock more primary than alts, but as long as all jerseys stayed in the rotation it shouldn’t be an issue as long as it’s planned far enough in advance that all of the necessary 3rd parties can adjust in case their advertisements feature jerseys, or other promo stuff. 

Thats is just my assumption, not an authoritative answer at all. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Jacksonville-Jaguars-New-Uniforms-2018-Unveiled.jpg

The elimination of the two-tone helmet in and of itself makes this a massive upgrade.

The only way this could be more generic is if they used Varsity as the font.  And you know what?  I'm really good with that.

Given that the 2010's will go down in pro football history as the fashion nightmare that the 1970's did in general culture?  I'll take this over about 75% of the rest of the NFL right now.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, people.

nav-logo.png

15 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Agree. The last set was firmly one of the bottom-3 looks in the league. Now (by my estimation) they are about 23rd best in the league ha, the Jags now look better than the primary looks for the Bengals, Browns, Rams, Bucs, Titans, Jets, and the teams still using piping (Cardinals, Falcons,Patriots). Still a huge upgrade. Sometimes less is more

They do need a simple vertical one color pants stripe. the plainness of the jerseys themselves doesn't bother me too much, after all, uniforms that people seem to like (Colts, Giants, new Dolphins, Raiders, Texans) all have little to no striping on the jerseys. But, all of those looks are "grounded" by sort of pants stripe to balance out the minimalism of the jersey tops, and add some sort of motif. What is the Jags new motif? just that simple angled stripe that you can barely see on the cuffs and the bottom of the pants? It's not much.

However, I think people who don't like these are quickly forgetting just how bad the Jags old unis were! the trapezoid box stripe on the pants, the overdesigned numbers, and the gradient were all-time bad.

I quite like the angled stripe on the socks. It's unique and subtle and a nice change of pace because so many teams just use one-color socks.

Archived