WideRight

Wideright imagines the AAF

Ready to start a new concept thread for the intriguing Alliance of American Football.  8 teams playing spring football.  The first team to be identified has been Orlando, headed by the "Old Ball Coach", Steve Spurrier.  We will try to predict all 8 franchises ahead of the AAF announcement of teams and team names (which they have said are coming).  I will also periodically request feedback on key decisions, such as future cities, identity focus or color scheme, but with Orlando I am starting on my own and I am setting some limitations which will apply to all teams.

1. All teams must use 3 colors + white in their color scheme and uniforms. 

2. All teams must use non-count or singular nouns for their mascot.  I know this is controversial, and I actually am a fan of count nouns (Tigers, Bears, Saints, etc.) over non-count nouns (Fury, Thunder, Revolution), but I wanted to challenge myself and put a weird requirement on the AAF. 

3. All teams will have only 1 uniform.  In a league with only 8 teams it should be possible to avoid duplication of the helmet and jersey color, which should provide enough contrast to make it unnecessary to have a clash or home/road uniforms.  This means that teams must each have unique color combinations to avoid repetition. 

And so, without further ado, the first AAF franchise, taking advantage of the rich tradition of local college football by utilizing the color palette (slightly altered) of the U. of Florida: Royal, Kelly and Orange, and tying their identity to the local economy in a tongue in cheek way with just a hint of double entendre...

...and with due credit to BradyLvie (name) and ThePeam (name and the Juice squirt concept in the logo.)  OK... now, we start the AAF off with...

Your Orlando JUICE!!!

eQEDXXK.png

Yes, the AAF will require the league logo and "Alliance" at each collar and the logo on the pants.  No jersey advert yet (Is it Nike? Adidas? Heck it could be Kelme or Umbro for all I care, I am not a fan of the branding by the producer, so I am leaving it off.    I thought about corporate sponsors on the back or sleeve, but decided a more traditionally clean jersey was best. 

Next up, we decide if the rumors are true.  Is Rick Neuheisel leading a team in Southern California, and if so, where will they play?

I believe Neuheisel will be coaching for the league in San Diego. 

I love this first concept for the league, are you also going to do the XFL?  You did such a great job with your USFL alternate universe I was hoping you would do some more

The AAF reveals next week that the rumors are true.  Former UCLA QB and Head Coach Rick Neuheisel is returning to the world of alternative football leagues as the head coach of the AAF's second franchise in southern California.  The one-time USFL signal caller returns home to California and back to coaching with the Alliance.  

The franchise, set to begin play in February 2018, will be based out of Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, hoping to cash in on a jilted Charger fanbase as well as the ideal weather for a February-April league by playing in sunny SoCal.  The franchise also revealed their name and uniforms at the press conference.  While the league's claims that the Sun Yellow, Sky Blue and Surf Blue combo was meant to portray the rich colors of San Diego's seaside locale and ocean vistas, those at the event were quick to point out that the colors also call back the image of the recently departed Chargers of the  NFL.  

The franchise opted to adopt a beach culture theme, and will be dubbed the San Diego Surf, keeping with the singular noun theme set forth by Orlando's franchise, the Juice.  The Surf will don yellow helmets with a crashing wave logo occupying much of the helmet space  similar in some way's to the USFL's Michigan Panther logo of the early 80's.  The jerseys will also be yellow, with an abstract wave pattern on each shoulder and sleeve.  White pants will have another abstract pattern, this time a sun rising over a wavy stripe which evokes the ocean horizon.  

Coach Neuheisel states that he expects his team, which will be comprised largely of players with California roots, will reflect the passion of San Diego football fans and that he expects to play a wide open style on offense and an attacking, agressive defense.  

Below is the released uniform and logo media sheet for the San Diego Surf.  The AAF has confirmed that each team will have only one uniform, not the usual home/away pairing.  With each franchise having a unique color combination in the 8 team league, league officials believe that the color v. color matchups will not create issues for viewers and will  provide a dynamic look to the league. 

tQb6wwa.png

Nicely done, love both of the names and concepts...surprisingly I really like the two colored numbers on Orlando. The Surf hearkens back to one of my all time favorite helmets, the Breakers from the USFL. I think having the blue be more predominant might work better there.

Orlando: I love the unique identity and color scheme. I’m also a fan of the two colored numbers. Orlando is actually my favorite so far. 

San Diego: Yellow as the primary is a unique way to go with the team. I really like the wave logo on the helmet. I was also a big fan of your USFL alternate universe, and I’d like to see what else you have in store! 

These are just fun. Bright and lively uniforms work so well for teams in places like Florida and SoCal, and you nailed it with the Juice and Surf. Can't wait to see what else you've got coming.

OK, Logophiles,  The first "group think" moment has arrived.  We all know they will put a team in Texas, because it's football.  So, two requests for the board denizens here.

1. What city is the best option in your mind?  Do you go with an NFL city that has a spare/unused stadium in the spring?  Dallas or Houston?  Do you go with the Alamo Dome in San Antonio?  Is there even a stadium that would work in Austin (not UT, way too big)?  Any other location worth considering?

2. Choose the city and then give me your best singular-noun name for the team in that city.  Try to avoid calling it "Texas" instead of the city name.  

I am working on a few ideas, but I would love to be inspired by a city/name combo that you come up with.  

4 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

San Antonio Fiesta, Spurs fiesta colors.

Nailed it..

or how about San Antonio Undead

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

OK, Logophiles,  The first "group think" moment has arrived.  We all know they will put a team in Texas, because it's football.  So, two requests for the board denizens here.

1. What city is the best option in your mind?  Do you go with an NFL city that has a spare/unused stadium in the spring?  Dallas or Houston?  Do you go with the Alamo Dome in San Antonio?  Is there even a stadium that would work in Austin (not UT, way too big)?  Any other location worth considering?

2. Choose the city and then give me your best singular-noun name for the team in that city.  Try to avoid calling it "Texas" instead of the city name.  

I am working on a few ideas, but I would love to be inspired by a city/name combo that you come up with.  

3 hours ago, Darknes said:

San Antonio Garrison 

I'll second the San Antonio Garrison, with some sort of Alamo motif. If you do decide to go this direction, I'd suggest a brick red, navy blue and, white/cream color scheme. If you want to stay away from red/white/blue, maybe gunmetal gray instead of blue.

San Antonio Mission

Can't wait to see where this goes. Bold, but well executed. This is the kind of eye-catching identity the AAF should be aiming for. Also like the singular, playful approach to names.

The AAF has its first surprise announcement after the much anticipated Orlando/Spurrier and San Diego/Neuheisel announcements.  The Alliance calls a press conference at the St. Louis Arch to announce that the league will be bringing a team to the Gateway City.  Not only will the AAF bring a tenant to the city's domed stadium, but they are bringing back former Ram coach Jeff Fisher to lead the new spring league team. 

Fisher, who also led the Tennessee Titans to their most successful seasons, will guide the new spring franchise.  He becomes the third well-known coach to join the league and the first with an extensive NFL pedigree.  Speaking to the crowd in St. Louis, Fisher stated that he was happy to be able to bring football back to the city and that he hoped to capture some of the excitement and energy that the Rams brought to St. Louis during their heyday.  

The franchise, perhaps trying to capture the attention of former Ram fans, selected a name reminiscent of the NFL franchise, the St. Louis Rampage.  The logo, a stylized R with a charging rhino within it, and the color scheme of Rampage Orange, Riverfront (Navy) Blue and Rhino grey makes St. Louis the second of 3 named AAF franchise to incorporate both orange and blue into their color scheme, but with both an orange helmet and orange jersey, paired with the Rhino grey pants, and dark blue trim, no one is going to be confusing them with the blue-clad Orlando Juice. 

The horn motif of the rhino is alluded to on the helmet, with the wide front stripe coming to a point about 2/3 back on the helmet, on the pants, with a horn-shaped 3-tone stripe, and with the tapered shoulder yoke, almost reminiscent of Fisher's former team in Tennessee.  

NzbfwPy.png

At the press conference, League executives Bill Polian and Charlie Ebersol hinted at potential upcoming franchise announcements, confirming the rumor that there would be a franchise in Texas and stating that current plans call for one, and possibly two, franchises in NFL cities that are underserved by Spring sports, which most took to mean non-MLB cities.  Speculation as to the potential NFL/AAF cities quickly led to excited fanbases in Charlotte, Buffalo, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Nashville forming AAF support groups, though neither Polian nor Ebersol would confirm any of the cities.  With 8 franchises and bases already in the Southeast, Pacific West and Midwest, it seems that just about any city might be possible, though most expect that cities with all 4 major league sports would likely not be selected.  Southern and dome-stadium cities seem the logical choices, but with the AAF nothing may be out of the discussion at this point, and with CBS on board, some pressure to include Top 5 markets like NY, LA, the Bay area or Chicago may be a part of the equation. 

That St. Louis Rampage may be my favorite concept I’ve ever seen on this board.  Definitely the early favorite for being my team in this league.

I really hope you don’t stop with only eight teams.

Going to second El Paso Sol; I really like the sound of that. About the size of Austin, but much further from the other major cities.

2 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Going to second El Paso Sol; I really like the sound of that. About the size of Austin, but much further from the other major cities.

I like the idea as well, but I am going to throw a poll in just to see where people stand:

Let's assume that Sol or Sun or something related is the nickname.  And let's assume we want a franchise in the desert southwest.  Which city would you support and why?

El Paso, Texas -- 838k population, Sun Bowl (51,000 seats)

Albuquerque, New Mexico --- 1.17 million population,  Dreamstyle (UNM) Stadium (39,224 seats)

Tucson, Arizona -- 980k population, Arizona Stadium (55,675 seats)

VOX POPULI!!! Let's see what the public says.  Which city is the best destination for a Southwest "Sol" team?

There has to be a team in Texas!  However, if those three cities I would select Albuquerque