WideRight

Wideright imagines the AAF

A second vote for the ABQ.  Though I'd include a Walter White reference in the design somehow, some, subtle way, just for giggles.

El Paso hosted two Dallas Cowboys games in the 2000s, I think it was. One a scrimmage and one a preseason game. That city is desperate for football. I vote El Paso. 

Given those choices, although El Paso Sol has such a lovely ring to it, Albuquerque makes more sense in terms of symbolism and demographics.

The El Paso metro, including Las Cruces and Juarez, is up over 2 million. Just sayin'.

Maybe next time! 

El Paso 

AAF Lures the MOOCH back to coaching. 

With a promise that his February-April coaching gig would not require that he leave his July-January NFL Network analyst position, the AAF has brought yet another well-known NFL head coach back into football.  Steve Mariucci has agreed to take on the role of Head Coach for the spring league's new Sacramento franchise.  The Mooch signed the deal when league CEO Charlie Ebersol agreed to bring in an assistant head coach who would be responsible for off-season recruiting and training, under Mariucci's guidance, so that the longtime NFL Network analyst could keep his job as a TV personality.  This move seems to confirm that if the AAF is not directly working with the NFL, they are clearly on friendlier terms than predecessors such as the XFL and USFL.  I suppose we should not be surprised when we consider that the league has top NFL talent at all levels of its league structure, including Hall of Famers such as the GM Guru of the Bills and Colts, Bill Polian, and former Steeler Hines Ward.  

The Sacramento franchise will play at Sacramento State's Hornet Field, making it the smallest stadium announced for the new league to date.  The 21,000 seat stadium has played host to many fledgling league teams, including the UFL's Sacramento Mountain Lions, the CFL's Sacramento Gold Miners and the WLAF's Sacramento Surge.  While it is a cozy venue, Ebersol and Polian were fast to declare that it will be a rowdy sold out crowd every week when the AAF comes to town.  With players selected largely from a regional draft that will include Cal, Stanford, Nevada and the two Oregon D-1 schools as well as smaller schools such as Sacramento State, Cal-Poly and others, the AAF franchise hopes to draw in fans of both pro football and of the local Pac-12 and regional teams. 

The presser announcing the new franchise ended with a bang as the team revealed its identity, with none other than former Cal Bear Kyle Boller stepping out to model the new uniform.  Boller, who will serve as QB Coach for the squad looked like he could still take the field, but assured the crowd that they would be filling the QB slot with players a little closer to their college years than he was.

The team will be called the Sacramento Rush, a tribute to the Gold Rush that kicked California's economy into high gear, the rush of energy that sports brings to its fans, but also the meat & potatoes of football, the ground game.  One intrepid reporter asked if the name was a hint that former Cal Bear Marshawn Lynch might make an appearance on the field.  Polian laughed but did not say no to the idea, saying  "This league and the Rush will be bringing in the most talented players available, and if that meant former NFL stars who still have some yards left in them, sure, bring them on."

The Rush logo is a familiar one to sports fans, a ballcarrier charging the line and stiffarming opponents, very reminiscent of the Heismann Trophy.  The team colors will be Mountain Purple, California Gold and Night Sky Black.  The team will don metallic gold helmets and pants with purple jerseys.  A secondary logo is hidden within the  pant and helmet stripe, a subtle "snowy mountain" logo that also serves as a stylized "S" for Sacramento. 

While Polian and Ebersol would not address questions about other franchises, this intrepid reporter did some digging and found that their flight plan had them heading off towards Memphis, perhaps for their next announcement.   

z1kHZ11.png

Love the name, the colors, the jersey and definitely the story but the logo just doesn’t do it for me. Professional team with a logo of a college trophy?  Won’t be a team I’m rooting for, but I love how you just knock these things out. Very solid job again.

These are all incredible! It's hard to take bright colors and always make something beautiful but you've really nailed it here. My only complaint is the Kelley green on Orlando. I think it just clashes to mich with the royal blue. Maybe a swit h to yellow or red since it's mostly just an accent color.

Oh, no... swing and a miss on this one.  Use of a Heisman-like imagery, a bad shade of purple, and a mediocre, non-descript font.  There's just a lot of bad there.

I would suggest naming the Sacramento team the Lynx. Keep the same colors though. I have no problem with the colors whatsoever. It's different it works !!

This has been a clever series with good designs so for, but I'd have to agree with this others that this main logo is a whiff. Your league needs to avoid a connection to the Heisman Trophy with a pro league. Perhaps a pickaxe, or a desperado looking guy would connect with the gold rush themes?

Maybe brighten the purple, and use it on the helmet?  The gold helmet is very similar to the Surf's.  I'd see those two teams becoming rivals, and the similarities could become a problem.

AAF Officials arive in Memphis as controversy arises

As the leadership of the new upstart spring football league, the Alliance of American Football, deplaned in Memphis, they were bombarded with questions about the trademark lawsuit being threatened by the Downtown Athletic Club of New York regarding the recently released identity of the Sacramento Rush.  The Rush logo depics a running back very much in the mold of the Heisman Trophy awarded by the NY athletic club.  With multiplatform media coverage of the reveal announcement last week, this did not slip by unnoticed and by Monday league officials were scrambling to assuage the complaints of the NY group.  League CEO and erstwhile Commissioner (no official title has been given)  Charlie Ebersol made a statement later in the day, stating that the AAF had no intention of infringing upon the trademarked look of the Heisman, but that the league's branding agency was certainly inspired by the venerated trophy in designing a logo for a the Sacramento Rush, a team whose name is intended to evoke both the image of a running back and the famous California gold rush.  

Ebersol and former NFL executive Bill Polian were quick to announce that they would comply with the wishes of the Downtown Athletic Club and would be revealing a new design from their branding experts within the next few days.  

In the meantime, we anticipate an announcement of a Memphis AAF franchise within the next day as the AAF is rumored to be finalizing an agreement with the Liberty Bowl and preparing to bring the franchise's inaugural head coach to Memphis for the big reveal.  Rumors have been circling about several possible contenders, including former Arkansas and Wisconsin head man Bret Bielema, former Saints coach Jim Haslett and even former USFL and NFL Quarterback Bobby Hebert..  

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

AAF Officials arive in Memphis as controversy arises

As the leadership of the new upstart spring football league, the Alliance of American Football, deplaned in Memphis, they were bombarded with questions about the trademark lawsuit being threatened by the Downtown Athletic Club of New York regarding the recently released identity of the Sacramento Rush.  The Rush logo depics a running back very much in the mold of the Heisman Trophy awarded by the NY athletic club.  With multiplatform media coverage of the reveal announcement last week, this did not slip by unnoticed and by Monday league officials were scrambling to assuage the complaints of the NY group.  League CEO and erstwhile Commissioner (no official title has been given)  Charlie Ebersol made a statement later in the day, stating that the AAF had no intention of infringing upon the trademarked look of the Heisman, but that the league's branding agency was certainly inspired by the venerated trophy in designing a logo for a the Sacramento Rush, a team whose name is intended to evoke both the image of a running back and the famous California gold rush.  

Ebersol and former NFL executive Bill Polian were quick to announce that they would comply with the wishes of the Downtown Athletic Club and would be revealing a new design from their branding experts within the next few days.  

In the meantime, we anticipate an announcement of a Memphis AAF franchise within the next day as the AAF is rumored to be finalizing an agreement with the Liberty Bowl and preparing to bring the franchise's inaugural head coach to Memphis for the big reveal.  Rumors have been circling about several possible contenders, including former Arkansas and Wisconsin head man Bret Bielema, former Saints coach Jim Haslett and even former USFL and NFL Quarterback Bobby Hebert..  

The fact that you’re so adaptable and great at story telling is what truly separates your league above the others. Your logos and layouts are also very strong.

Given how this thread is playing out, I've moved it to the Sports Fan Fiction subforum.

50 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Given how this thread is playing out, I've moved it to the Sports Fan Fiction subforum.

Yeah, I was considering that.  Thank you.  I do think this is going to end up becoming an alternative history (of the future?), especially since I want to address the XFL and the NFL's reaction to the AAF as hypotheticals. 

By the way, everyone, I have 3 more teams designed, so expect a flurry of AAF notifications over the course of this week. 

Fingers crossed for a Jim Tressel led Columbus squad!

AAF announces their 4th franchise, in the Birthplace of the Blues.

Memphis, Tennessee will be home to the 4th AAF franchise.  League officials shocked no one today, their trip to Memphis being well known, when they announced that the Liberty Bowl would play host to an AAF franchise in their 2019 inaugural season.  The only suspense was to see the team identity and find out who would be coaching the squad from Bluff City.  

Both were revealed at the press conference held at the famous Peabody Hotel.  Memphis would be home to a music-inspired theme, only fitting for one of the nation's music hubs, birthplace of the Blues and one of the roots of Rock & Roll.  The Memphis Beat will represent the city in the new spring league.  Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian were joined at the podium by a trio of local football legends:  former U of Memphis and Rams WR Isaac Bruce, former Auburn great and one time Memphis Chick baseball player Bo Jackson and former Tiger runningback DeAngelo Williams.  It was Williams who sported the new red & silver uniforms of the beat, leading many to ask if this meant that the former Carolina and Pittsburgh RB was ready to sign on with the AAF after 10 years in the NFL.  At the age of 35 it seems unlikely, but he did look awfully good wearing the new Beat uniform. 

The uniform features a retro look, with a vinyl record as part of the primary logo.  The logo depicts the classic vinyl overlayed with a stylized 1950's retro script M.  Secondary elements of the design include a motif of five parallel pinstripes, forming the familiar musical backdrop. The 5-line motif is found on the helmet (trailing the logo), on the pants and subtly in the jersey numbers.  The wordmark also features the five lines, beefed up with some whole notes thrown in for good measure (ooh, getting punny).  The colors, a cardinal red, metallic silver and just enough black to highlight the vinyl image, harkens back to the USFL's Memphis Showboats, though this time the helmet is red instead of silver.   Once again the AAF incorporates all three colors into the uniform, with red jerseys and silver pants, both with minimal black piping.  

The presser ended with the biggest reveal, the head coach.  Polian and Isaac Bruce welcomed former Auburn and Ole' Miss Head Coach Tommy Tuberville as the first coach of the Memphis Beat.  Rumors had been swirling about former Saints HC Jim Haslett, but Coach Tuberville was a natural choice for the squad, having proven his mettle in the demanding SEC for years.  Tuberville spoke enthusiastically about the oportunity to coach pro ball, but also to work again with young players, players hoping to continue their football dreams in the AAF.   So, the AAF will feature Tuberville, Spurrier, Neuheisel and Mariucci.  One thing to be said for this fledgling league, they are not shy about signing coaches well-known to their fanbase.  

As he left, Charlie Ebersol waved to the fans, responded to questions about the Sacramento franchise (new logo is coming) and told everyone to hold on tight, because the next few days would reveal even more about the league and its first season franchises.   Here now, thanks to the AAF Media Guide website, are the designs for the Memphis Beat's uniform and logos. 

emjWrsj.png

As much as I dislike the nickname rule I love the identities put out for Orlando, San Diego and, Memphis. Looking forward to the updated Rush identity.