WideRight

Wideright imagines the AAF

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

AAF announces their 4th franchise, in the Birthplace of the Blues.

Memphis, Tennessee will be home to the 4th AAF franchise.  League officials shocked no one today, their trip to Memphis being well known, when they announced that the Liberty Bowl would play host to an AAF franchise in their 2019 inaugural season.  The only suspense was to see the team identity and find out who would be coaching the squad from Bluff City.  

Both were revealed at the press conference held at the famous Peabody Hotel.  Memphis would be home to a music-inspired theme, only fitting for one of the nation's music hubs, birthplace of the Blues and one of the roots of Rock & Roll.  The Memphis Beat will represent the city in the new spring league.  Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian were joined at the podium by a trio of local football legends:  former U of Memphis and Rams WR Isaac Bruce, former Auburn great and one time Memphis Chick baseball player Bo Jackson and former Tiger runningback DeAngelo Williams.  It was Williams who sported the new red & silver uniforms of the beat, leading many to ask if this meant that the former Carolina and Pittsburgh RB was ready to sign on with the AAF after 10 years in the NFL.  At the age of 35 it seems unlikely, but he did look awfully good wearing the new Beat uniform. 

The uniform features a retro look, with a vinyl record as part of the primary logo.  The logo depicts the classic vinyl overlayed with a stylized 1950's retro script M.  Secondary elements of the design include a motif of five parallel pinstripes, forming the familiar musical backdrop. The 5-line motif is found on the helmet (trailing the logo), on the pants and subtly in the jersey numbers.  The wordmark also features the five lines, beefed up with some whole notes thrown in for good measure (ooh, getting punny).  The colors, a cardinal red, metallic silver and just enough black to highlight the vinyl image, harkens back to the USFL's Memphis Showboats, though this time the helmet is red instead of silver.   Once again the AAF incorporates all three colors into the uniform, with red jerseys and silver pants, both with minimal black piping.  

The presser ended with the biggest reveal, the head coach.  Polian and Isaac Bruce welcomed former Auburn and Ole' Miss Head Coach Tommy Tuberville as the first coach of the Memphis Beat.  Rumors had been swirling about former Saints HC Jim Haslett, but Coach Tuberville was a natural choice for the squad, having proven his mettle in the demanding SEC for years.  Tuberville spoke enthusiastically about the oportunity to coach pro ball, but also to work again with young players, players hoping to continue their football dreams in the AAF.   So, the AAF will feature Tuberville, Spurrier, Neuheisel and Mariucci.  One thing to be said for this fledgling league, they are not shy about signing coaches well-known to their fanbase.  

As he left, Charlie Ebersol waved to the fans, responded to questions about the Sacramento franchise (new logo is coming) and told everyone to hold on tight, because the next few days would reveal even more about the league and its first season franchises.   Here now, thanks to the AAF Media Guide website, are the designs for the Memphis Beat's uniform and logos. 

emjWrsj.png

Lookin sharp. This one is my favorite so far...

AAF & Sacramento Rush introduce their new brand. 

As part of a rapid response to the legal claim of trademark infringement by the Downtown Athletic Club, the Sacramento Rush today unveiled a totally revamped branding.  Gone is the reference to the running back image that so clearly borrowed from the Heisman Trophy and it its place is an homage to speed, complete with a redlined spedometer logo and redesigned striping across the entire uniform.  Gone too is the use of black as a tertiary color, replaced by a fire engine or cherry red.  The uniforms remain metallic gold and mountain purple, but now the tiny hints of red throughout add just a touch of energy to the uniforms.  The "speed line" motif is seen in the helmet stripe, pant stripes and in the numbers, while the spedometer motif is subtly hinted at with the arching shoulder stripes, ending in just a hint of a red needle.  And so the AAF sets the world record for identity switch, 2 identities in their first week of existence.  It is on a par with the San Francisco 49ers 1-day logo for logo speed records, but league and team officials hope this new identity will stick around for a long time. 

qQRv7Au.png

Hi there, AAF followers.  A quick note, I am going to diverge from reality (as if I already haven't) because I just don't get why, as appears to be the case, the AAF is putting a team in Atlanta.  I do expect to have one NFL city within the first 8, but it would not be Atlanta.  I am looking for an NFL city that is at most competing with 1 other spring major league sport, not two (Hawks, Braves), so that leaves these.  Which makes the most sense to you for a February-April football league?

CITY                      COMPETITION

Baltimore               MLB Orioles

Buffalo                   NHL Sabres

Charlotte               NBA Hornets

Cincinnati              MLB Reds

Indianapolis           NBA Pacers

Jacksonville           No Competition

Kansas City           MLB Royals

Nashville               NHL Predators

New Orleans         NBA Pelicans

Oakland                MLB Athletics

Seattle                  MLB Mariners

It will only be 1, so which one would you choose for the AAF?

Oakland, since they're about to lose the Raiders to Las Vegas

Oakland 

New Orleans.. Oakland makes little sense with a team already in San Diego and Sacramento

Hard to pick cities without knowing where the other two teams will be, but...

1 Seattle

2 Charlotte

3 Indy

4 New Orleans 

Joining the New Orleans train.

9 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

New Orleans.. Oakland makes little sense with a team already in San Diego and Sacramento

Your right on that one!

Im changing my vote to NOLA

AAF decides to take that left at Albuquerque

The Alliance of American Football announced today that their 6th inaugural franchise would call Albuquerque's Dreamstyle Stadium home.  The Duke City has not been chosen as a pro football destination since the failed-before-the-first-play PSFL back in 1992.  The quality of Dreamstyle Stadium, the growing and youthful demographics of the city and the lack of NBA, NHL and MLB competition are all reasons cited by league officials for the selection.  The former seems vital in this case, as the league's first 5 nominated cities  (Orlando, San Diego, St. Louis, Sacramento and Memphis) all have either NHL, NBA or MLB franchises to share media time.  

On hand for the unveiling were former UNM Lobo and Chicago Bear Brian Urlacher, former Dallas Cowboy great Emmit Smith and league consultant and former Viking and Chief Jared Allen.  The former footballers flanked the new head coach of the AAF's Albuquerque franchise, Chan Gailey.  Gailey, who once served as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys and then the Buffalo Bills, and who most recently spent several years as the Offensive Coordinator for the New York Jets, stated he looked forward to the quick pace of the AAF game, the emphasis on player safety and the chance to compete against the likes of Steve Mariucci, Rick Neuheisel, Tommy Tuberville and Steve Spurrier.  

Representatives of the local media were then able to view the new identity of the franchise, and in keeping with the pattern set by earlier teams revealed by the upstart league, the tri-color uniforms and singular name were retained by the 6th franchise, the Albuquerque Sol.   Sporting colors described as symbolic of the southwest, obsidian black, turquoise blue and metallic copper, the Sol use both strong sun imagery, as the name would imply, but also represent the Southwest's link to pre-Colombian history with an Aztec pyramid forming the letter A at the center of their logo.  The jerseys are adorned with large sun patterns on the sleeves while the pants sport two stripes, one turquoise, one copper, made up of small pyramids.  Keeping with the one-jersey rule, the Sun will be the lone franchise to wear white jerseys, which they combine with their satin black helmet, pants and socks.  The league now has teams with jerseys in royal blue, athletic gold, orange, purple, cardinal red and white.  As we look ahead to the next two franchises, branding afficionados are waiting and wagering on the remaining 2 colors.  Will there be a team donning black jerseys? green? brown? or an oilers-esque Columbia blue?  We will know soon as the league has promised to reveal the remaining two franchises in the next week.  Rumors of one of the two remaining teams being located in an NFL city abound, while many already expect the 7th franchise to be the league's first in Texas, a seemingly indispensible state for spring football.  For now, the fans of the newly revealed Sol will have to wait to see if they have a Texas rival, or get geared up for battles with their almost certain division foes from California, San Diego and Sacramento. 

XWmhhKN.png

51 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Cincy?

Nola, or Sacksonville as top three

I didn’t vote for Cinci because I’m still holding out hope for a Columbus team.. either in AAF or the XFL

I say JVille as a rival to Orlando or Cincy...Cincy does well with supporting new teams (look at FC Cincy). As a Charlottean I'm interested as to what you would do for an identity in the QC. Add the Sol to that list of identities I love, not sure how I feel about the logo for Sac but the rest (uni) looks gorgeous there.

Oh man the Sol are beautiful! By far my favorite set so far!

Also I'm changing my vote for the cities. Assuming there is a team in Texas the league would be seriously lacking a presence in the northeastern/New England area, so I think Baltimore would be the best choice for the AAF. After them I would still say Ciny and Indy to have a stronger presence in the Mid West.

Texas gets its AAF franchise.

We all new it was coming, after all, who would put a football league together and not consider Texas for a franchise?  Not the Alliance for American Football, obviously.  This morning the AAF touched down in San Antonio, to announce that the Alamo City is to be the 7th of 8 inaugural season franchises.  Flanked by former Dallas Cowboy and USFL runningback Herschel Walker and former Oilers great Warren Moon, Charlie Ebersol announced that a franchise will begin play in February 2019 in the Alamo Dome.  

The team, to be known as the San Antonio Squadron, in honor of the heroes of the Joint Base San Antonio, run by the USAF  502nd Air Base Wing, will pull most of its roster from the rich alumni pool of Texas schools, including the Longhorns, Aggies, Horned Frogs, Red Raiders and the local Roadrunners of UTSA.  The team will be led by former Longhorn coach John Mackovic.  Mackovic, who also coached at Illinois and Arizona after a brief stint as QB coach for the Cowboys, was pleased to be the face of the San Antonio Squadron, stating that he looked forward to helping young men improve their skills, but that he was also hoping to bring a championship to San Antonio. 

The Squadron follow their military and Air Force them with their logo and uniform.  The logo combines a squadron of fighter jets in formation flying over a stylized military-football insignia, roughly equating to the rank of Senior Airman. The colors for the team are a deep blue, sky blue and "figher" silver, a high sheen metallic silver.  The helmets will be this metallic silver with thin pinstripe white, sky and deep blue "con trail" stripes leading to a Texas Lone Star on the back of the helmet.  The jerseys will be sky blue (love ya?) with the deep blue and silver sleeve treatments and silver numbers trimmed in sky and deep blue.  The pants will be the deep blue with pinstripe "con trails" that run across the front and up the side to the insignia logo.   

San Antonio is the 7th of 8 anticipated franchises, and with the league hinting that at least one site would be an NFL city, that leaves only the 8th and final franchise in play.  Many anticipate that an announcement will be made soon at one of the NFL cities that does not have multiple spring sports leagues.  Fans in Oakland, Kansas City, Seattle, Baltimore, New Orleans, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Jacksonville have been organizing "Bring it On" campaigns to influence the league, but most reporters following the birth of the AAF believe that not only has the city been chosen already, but that a coach has been hired and a venue contracted.   League CEO Charlie Ebersol made no statements about the final franchise, but with 4 teams already in the western U.S. (San Diego, Sacramento, Albuquerque and San Antonio), most expect that the 8th franchise will be located East of the Mississippi.  With Orlando, Memphis and St. Louis already on board, the question is whether or not the league wll brave placing a team in a northern climate or if it will add another franchise in the South. 

2ja15T6.png

A quick note, the 5 jets were sourced from a clipart file from https://www.canstockphoto.com and are not wholly original.   Obviously the insignia is a variation of the Air Force insignia. 

How would that fly (no pun intended) with the air force? I know San Antonio has a solid AF presence but, would a branch of service be okay with a sports team using a variation of it's imagery...another nice look none the less.

Love the pant stripes, con trails is exactly what I thought when looking at them. Not a big fan of the sliver, lt blue, navy look, but the set is still really nice. The only minor grip i have is with stripe continuity. The helmet and pants have these super thin stripes, but the jersey has a big should cap/yoke. 

Absolutely love this look, I’ll be rooting for this team for sure. Was hoping to see Mack Brown return as the coach however