WideRight

Wideright imagines the AAF

7 hours ago, WideRight said:

Soon after the announcement of the Atlanta and Tucson expansion franchises, the AAF began online polls to guess the team identity in both cities.  Partnering with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the  Arizona Daily Star, the contests ask fans in each city to predict the most likely name for each franchise.

The choices for the Atlanta Alliance squad were:  Atlanta Resurgance, Atlanta Steam, Atlanta Pride and Atlanta Thunder

For Tucson the choices were the Tucson Sky, Tucson Thunder, Tucson Sting, Arizona Stampede and Arizona Attack.

What about the Atlanta Uprising?

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Atlanta Resurgence (though I'd suggest Atlanta Rising or Atlanta Phoenix) 
Navy Blue helmet
Navy Blue jersey
Copper pants
Stylized phoenix for the logo, rendered in RedCopper, and Yellow.

Arizona Attack (though I'd suggest Arizona Venom) 
Gila Pink helmet with Black reticulated band striping (think a gila monster's striping pattern meeting the stylized helmet of the Cincinnati Bengals)
Gila Pink jersey
Black pants

Intriguing ideas.  I have to say I had not thought of Venom.  Gila pink is a fascinating idea.   Hmmmm... write in campaign.  

Or, what about the Atlanta Krunk Wolverine!!!!! (really bad former ABA identity I believe). 

A different take on the Atlanta Resurgence idea could instead be the Atlanta Phoenix (although there is a women's football team with that name). As for Tucson, although a statewide brand might make sense, it could be interesting to have Tucson front and center. If I had to pick I'd say that Tucson Sting is good, a nice scorpion theme and such.

Atlanta Thunder and Tucson Sky. Resurgence sounds... dangerously neo-Confederate.

Atlanta Steam would be my vote, I have have a thing for locomotive related identities. 

Arizona Tribe (if its not considered offensive) 

Atlanta Resurgence
Arizona Attack (going off Brian in Boston's amazing sounding idea)

AAF Atlanta has a name, and a coach!

April 9, 2019-- Atlanta, GA.    In a much anticipated press conference held at Georgia State University Stadium, the AAF unveiled the identity, uniforms and head coach of their 2020 expansion franchise.   The Atlanta Pride will take the field at the 25,000 seat stadium which used to be home to the Atlanta Braves.  They will do so under the leadership of former Tampa Bay Bucc's head coach and current Atlanta Falcons Assistant Head Coach Raheem Morris.  Morris, who appeared at the podium along with league CEO Charlie Ebersol, Director of Football Operations Bill Polian and former Falcons players Michael Vick, Tony Gonzalez and Jesse Tuggle, spoke about the great football tradition of Atlanta and the state of Georgia and expressed his excitement about the prospects of spring football in Atlanta. 

The team then unveiled their logo, a roaring lion, and their uniforms, a combination of deep maroon, bright orange and athletic gold (yellow).  While some drew comparisions to the Virginia Tech Hokies, the running joke quickly became one about how the team must be sponsored by Reese's Cups due to the distinctive color combination.  The deep marroon does look quite a bit like a dark brown in the lighting of the media interview room, but once on the field it is expected to show as more of a maroon than a brown.  The team revealed only their primary uniform, however it is expected that with the expansion to 10 teams in 2020 the AAF will move to having a home and a clash uniform for each team, even allowing each team to have a secondary helmet to accompany each look. 

Coach Morris finished up the press conference by announcing that he was working with all 3 former falcons at the podium today to ensure that each has a role to play with his franchise.  Whether that means a spot on the coaching staff or in the player relations office for the team is still unknown.  

In his final words, Charlie Ebersol thanked the gathered media and fans and announced that tomorrow the league would be in Tucson to reveal the 10th franchise.

DNoOFle.png

Logo note:  This logo is heavily influenced by 3 lion-head logos which I found as I was researching different options.  You will recognize elements from all three if you have a keen eye.  The three are images (searchable on Google) designed by Shmart Studio, Salavat Bulatov and RedPin (on 99Designs).  While I feel that the combination of elements from all 3 created a unique logo, I do not believe it is fair to call it original, it is more a combination of previous designs than an original design (and I suppose I should also mention that the idea for the tongue is, of course, from the Jacksonville Jaguars, though I did not make this one teal, as if the lion had been eating a blue raspberry FunDip candy). 

And I have found my new favorite team!

Have you put any thought into having either league go international like Mexico City, London or Toronto?

XFL Struggling in NY Market

News out of the XFL today as reports of the league attempting and failing to secure contracts with both Red Bull Arena and Citifield leave doubts as to whether the league will place a team in the Tri-state area after all.  It is well known that league CEO Vince McMahon covets a NYC franchise as a cornerstone to his attempted rebirth of the XFL.  With franchises already announced in D.C., Boston, San Jose and Denver/Boulder, and stories emerging out of Dallas and Miami of potential agreements in each city for an XFL squad, most expected an announcement of the final 4 XFL squads by this point, but the XFL has been quiet.  With the entire league essentially operating out of Vince McMahon's recent $150 million realocation of funds, and with no TV contract outside of the WWE Network, there have been questions arising about the viability of the league.  The refusal of Red Bull Arena to host an XFL franchise, and now news that Citifield has likewise stepped away from a deal throw the potential for a NY franchise up in the air.  There remain other options, such as a  potential deal with Yankee Stadium, but that stadium already hosts both the Yankees and the NYCFC soccer club in the spring.   Could the XFL find itself playing as far from the city as Rutgers University, West Point or even Connecticut?  Or, could the XFL abandon its efforts to place a team in New York in favor of a more charitable city, a Philadelphia, Columbus or Buffalo?   Or, is this a sign of rough times ahead for McMahon, especially as the Alliance for American Football has already announced 2 expansion teams (Atlanta and Tucson) and a new contract with CBS, is the XFL a year too late?

Dennis Erickson returns to the Desert with AAF

April 11, 2019-- Tucson, Arizona

Dennis Ericson, former Arizona State, Seahawk and 49er Head Coach returned to the desert of Arizona today as the new head coach of the Tucson Thunder.  Erickson, along with league CEO Charlie Ebersol and two former Wildcats, LB Teddy Bruschi and S Chuck Cecil.  Cecil is actually returning for good as the new DC of the Tucscon AAF Franchise.  In addition to the former Wildcats and Coach Erickson, the AAF premiered the identity and home uniforms of the Thunder.  The team has a definite Southwest flair with their primary logo a proud Thunderbird in the traditional depiction found in Navajo, Apache and Hopi iconography.   AAF CEO Ebersol was quick to announce that the logo and design elements taken from local nations was reviewed and approved by leadership councils of all three Arizona Native American nations.  The Thunderbird, predominantly black, with sky blue and red highlights, will adorn white helmets which also have traditional weaving patterns as their central stripe.  The raindrop motif found in the Thunderbird wings also repeats on the uniform, as does the diamond shaped pattern of the mythical bird's torso.  The team will wear sky blue jerseys and socks along with white pants trimmed with the Thunderbird wing pattern.  It is a look that both represents the local peoples and the power of the Thunderbird.  

The team will play at the U. of Arizona's stadium, where they hope to have some of the biggest crowds in the league, and will play in the Western Division where they can form natural rivalries with the 2 California squads (San Diego and Sacramento), a close-by rival in Albuquerque, and the San Antonio Squadron, currently led by Johnny Manziel.  Tucson and Atlanta represent an early expansion for the league which has exceeded both attendance and television rating expectations in their first season.  

NqzGOo1.png

Wow. Very creative set there. Amazing 

oh my god that's it Tucson is my favorite team now

CHUCK CECIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the set, as it's very unique. I wasn't expecting the black and red to complete the sky blue (seemed like that was coming, regardless of name). I would love to see the collar or helmet stripe as the sock striping, as it would continue the uniqueness through all aspects of the set.

So happy with this set and how you decided to give the city it’s due rather than cop out and go with the state. Greatly done again! 

AAF 2019 Season –Week 9 (April 13-14)

In a week that saw the AAF introduce two new franchises for 2020, Atlanta and Tucson, the main news was on the field, where the Playoffs really started to come into focus.  This week saw two teams clinch their divisions with big wins and the wildcard races in each division look like they are going down to the final games.   An exciting week all around the AAF, and a new record for attendance as games in San Antonio, Orlando and Sacramento all sold out on a beautiful weather weekend all across the southern U.S.A..

ST. LOUIS 23  SAN ANTONIO 31

The return of Johnny Manziel from a high ankle sprain could not have come at a better time as the Squadron faced off against a tough St. Louis Rampage squad.  Manziel lit up the Rampage defense like a man on a mission, throwing for 326 yards on 27 completions.  His 3 TD’s proved to be the difference as the Squadron pulled away in the second quarter and held on to win by 8.  St. Louis proved game, particularly on the ground as their rushing attack of Bobby Rainey and David Cobb combined for 105 carries and 2 TD’s.  But in the end it was the Squadron, in front of a huge and enthusiastic AlamoDome crowd who walked away with the win and, after the Sunday games were finalized, would walk away with the division title.

MEMPHIS 17   SAN DIEGO  23

If the San Diego Surf were going to have any chance at a playoff spot they would need to avoid the upset at home against the desperate and downtrodden Memphis Beat.  The Beat were feisty, and took a 17-16 lead midway through the 3rd quarter, but a late TD from backup QB Connor Cook pulled the game out for the Surf.  Cook played most of the 4th quarter after a stinger sidelined starter Cody Kesslery.  Cook had some issues at first, including a fumble that would have led to even more Memphis points if Surf CB Brandon Boykin did not leap over the line to block the Memphis 44 yard field goal attempt.   Cook took the ensuing drive down the field and finished the comeback with a 22 yard TD completion to unheralded 2017 NFL draftee WR Malachi Dupre.   The win keeps San Diego in competition with Sacramento for the West wildcard spot.  All they need to do is beat San Antonio in their final game, a game with little at stake for the Squadron.

NEW ORLEANS 15  ORLANDO 38

The playoff hopes of the New Orleans Krewe took a severe hit as they ran into a buzzsaw in the Orlando Juice.  Brad Kaaya was back on the field and back in contention for MVP with a 304 yard game that saw him throw 5 touchdowns against a surprisingly porous Krewe secondary.   The Krewe are still in contention and will face St. Louis in a “win & you are in” game next week, but poor performances by both the Krewe offense and defense leave a lot to be worked on over the course ofthis next week.

ALBUQUERQUE  45   SACRAMENTO 28

All the Rush had to do on Sunday night was knock off the cellar-dwelling Albuquerque Sol in Sacramento and the Rush would be in the driver’s seat for a big playoff game against San Antonio, but lo and behold, the Sol were an ambush waiting to happen.  The normally moribund Sol offense came alive as Colt McCoy threw for 3 touchdowns and RB Brian Hill, subbing for the gimpy Jeremy Langford, smashed through the Rush defense for a whopping 133 yards.  Albuquerque rattled off 31 points in a second half explosion of offense that sent Sacramento reeling.  With one week left the Sol will need to beat Memphis in the season’s final week and hope that San Antonio does not rest their starters as they play the Surf.  The Rush’s 2-4 division record will not help them if they finish the season tied with the Surf, who already have 3 division wins under their belt.

Should make for an exciting Week 10, as the only game without playoff implications is the Orlando-Albuquerque tilt.

AAF 2019—WEEK 9 STANDINGS

EAST 

*Orlando            7-2   (5-1 Div)

New Orleans     5-4   (3-2 Div)

St. Louis            5-4   (3-2 Div)

Memphis           2-7   (0-6 Div)

*Clinched Division Title

^ Clinched Playoff Spot

WEST

*San Antonio      6-3  (3-2 Div)

San Diego          4-5  (3-2 Div)

Sacramento       4-5   (2-4 Div)

Albuquerque      3-6   (3-3 Div)

Playoff Scenarios:

East:  The winner of the Week 10 clash between St. Louis and New Orleans will earn the wildcard slot, the loser is out.

West:  The Surf hold the tie-breaker (division record) so, with a win or a Sacramento loss, the San Diego Surf will win the wildcard spot.   Sacramento will win the spot with both a win and a San Diego Loss. 

AAF Announces "Clash" Uniforms as a football innovation.

April 16, 2019--New York, NY.  

The AAF today released 10 new uniform designs, one each for their 10 2020 franchises.  What makes this news, you ask?  Well, rather than simply creating white away jerseys for each of the teams (with the exception of Albuquerque who already sport a white home jersey) the AAF announced that they would do away with the tradition of a team having a white and a dark jersey and would introduce the somewhat global concept, seen in soccer around the world, of a clash uniform.  League CEO Charlie Ebersol stated "We no longer live in an age of black & white tv's so we should not be black & white league.  Our teams have dynamic color patterns and unique designs and we wanted to give them the freedom to explore the limits of both."  Each team is requied to have 2 uniforms with significantly different color emphases.  For example the Tucson Thunder, one of the league's expansion teams for 2020 has as its primary uniform a white jersey, sky blue jersey, white pants and sky blue socks, all with trim in the team's 4 colors (white, black, sky blue and red).  Their "Clash" uniforms use the same 4 colors but radically alter every part of the uniform's color scheme, swapping the white helmet for a red one to start.  The sky blue jersey is now also a fiery red, and the team finishes the uniform with black pants and red socks.  While many of the design features, such as the two-tone numbers, raindrop motif and thunderbird logo on the helmet remain the same, the uniform is clearly distinct from their primary, providing a clear contrast should the team play another team with similar primary colors.  

Each team was revealed with their clash, and while some, such as Orlando and Memphis, opted to go with a white jersey, every team demonstrated a flair for the dramatic with new color schemes across the board.  Some, such as Albuquerque and New Orleans even switched up their helmet logos to further differentiate the uniforms.  While traditionalists may wish for the tried and true white/color contest each week, this reporter thinks that the vibrant colors and innovative looks of the AAF are a breath of fresh air.   We will be revealing the 10 new Clash uniforms over the next few days, 10 at a time.  We start today with the Tucson Thunder, and with their fellow expansion team, the Atlanta Pride, who embrace the maroon and orange tones in their design, creating a very VaTech look while preserving just enough of the athletic gold to stand out on a sunny spring day. 

8qQflud.png

Two more AAF Clash uniforms revealed

Following the release of the Atlanta and Tucson expansion team clash uniforms, today we begin releasing the 2nd uniform for current 2019 franchises.  Sticking to our 1 East and 1 West model, today the uniforms for Sacramento and Memphis are released.  Sacramento goes beyond just a white jersey to go along with their purple home jersey, they go full "whiteout" with a white helmet, jersey and pants.   Meanwhile Memphis deemphasizes red in favor of silver and black with their seconday uniform, featuring a white jersey but a silver helmet and black pants.  

kCSHDev.png

vIupxWN.png

I don't know if a brown helmet works for Atlanta there... makes the logo blend in too much.