WideRight

Wideright imagines the AAF

57 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I don't know if a brown helmet works for Atlanta there... makes the logo blend in too much.

I am picturing it a lot like the Boise State helmets with the large silver outlined bronco where the blue color just blends into the helmet.  With Atlanta the maroon helmet replaces the outer layer of the logo, so it is only the highlights in gold and orange which appear. 

And yet 2 more.

Next up on the Clash uniform rotation: Albuquerque and St. Louis.  St. Louis opted for a white jersey, but made major alterations to their helmets and pants to create a very distinct look.  Albuquerque, the only franchise to play 2019 with white jerseys added a black clash jersey as their second look, but went a step further, pairing the black jersey with metallic copper pants and a  metallic copper helmet.  They even opted to move their secondary wordmark logo onto the new helmet, becoming the first team to use 2 different logos on their two helmets.  To what degree AAF teams will mix and match the elements of their 2 uniforms remains to be seen, though league officials have stated that any combination is allowable as long as it does not create undue confusion between the two teams playing on a given day. 

sOdtkIi.png

rdvAScg.png

Correct me if I am wrong, that Albuquerque logo must take a lot of inspiration from a hockey concept on this board, correct? I can’t pinpoint the person who did it but I know it was a high school in Arizona I think. Anyways, I find it funny that my least favorite branding, logo wise, is the sol, but I find their jerseys so damn gorgeous. What’s with that?

13 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Correct me if I am wrong, that Albuquerque logo must take a lot of inspiration from a hockey concept on this board, correct? I can’t pinpoint the person who did it but I know it was a high school in Arizona I think. Anyways, I find it funny that my least favorite branding, logo wise, is the sol, but I find their jerseys so damn gorgeous. What’s with that?

I am not familiar with the concept you describe, but would love to see it to see which elements they share.  I think part of the beauty of this design is that Copper, Turquoise and Black go so well together.  By using a bit of fountain fill on the copper elements I can keep it from looking like a solid orange color and that seems to add something to the design. 

New Orleans and San Antonio reveal CLASH uniforms

Both San Diego and San Antonio today presented their white clash jerseys, but the use of a white jersey as an alternate to their respective green and light blue home uniforms was about the only routine aspect of the unveiling.  New Orleans's new uniform almost entirely eliminates the Mardi Gras Green elements of the home uniform in favor of a heavily purple look, including a purple helmet and pants.   In addition to this the "NOLA" logo is replaced on the helmet with the "Krewe" logo, complete with crown, beads and "AAF pendant".  Meanwhile, San Antonio ditches the silver helmet in favor of an Air Force Blue helmet, but brings back the silver in the pants, creating what is an almost inverted look from the silver helmet/dark blue pants scheme of their home uniforms.  

a3Zyfk7.png

t1MkSRS.png

This is just me, but I believe that the Krewe should use the "Krewe" helmet at home and the "NOLA" helmet away, similar to how baseball/basketball teams have different scripts for the chest.

Dang good looking set for the Sol. 

Orlando & San Diego release Clash uniforms

The Orlando Juice and San Diego Surf have released their clash uniforms for 2020.  Orlando opted for a white helmet and jersey and orange pants, ditching for the most part the bright royal blue which dominates their primary uniform, leaving the team with an orange and green combination.  In San Diego the Surf opted not to add a white jersey, but instead to go with a unitard look by moving the sky blue (never say "powder") to the dominant color.  This includes all 3 major elements of the uniform in what is one of the more radical departures among the 10 AAF franchises.  These uniforms will not be worn this year, so it is just a preview of the 2020 season, but, of course, the replicas will be available for sale at the AAF shop online. 

urlPJe7.png

vZ2RTjK.png

AAF 2019—WEEK 10 (April 20-21)

The final week of the AAF’s inaugural season was all that Ebersol, Polian and the other founding members could have hoped for.  Every game had playoff implications, teams marketed well and stadiums were filled with fans on what, in most cities, was a beautiful spring  day, and when all was said and done, 4 teams were ready for the playoffs.   Going into the week there had been questions as to whether San Antonio and Orlando, both having locked up their divisions last week, would pull the typical NFL stunt of resting their starters, but both teams, perhaps under the guidance of the league, perhaps of their own accord, opted to keep their starters in the game through the 3rd quarter.  It was a weekend that would propel the AAF towards their playoff season and into the offseason on a high note.

SACRAMENTO 10  MEMPHIS 17

While playing on Saturday night gave the Rush an advantage in that they would be able to control their destiny without scoreboard watching, the tension of preparing for such a vital game on a short week proved to be a bit much for the Rush.  Sacramento came out flat against the homestanding Beat and never really got their game in gear.  Colin Kaepernick hit on only 14 of 25 passes and was held below 200 yards passing by the Memphis D, and, to be honest, by his own offensive line, which was called for Holding or False Start a whopping 11 times during the game.  Memphis, hardly an offensive dynamo this season, managed to rack up 307 yards of offense, mostly thanks to 116 hardfought yards from league rushing leader Trent Richardson.  Paxton Lynch, getting the start for an erratic and dinged up Brian Brohm, was unspectacular but efficient, throwing for 108 yards and a touchdown as Memphis pulled the upset and guaranteed the wildcard spot in the West would go not to Sacramento, but to their downstate rivals, the San Diego Surf.

SAN DIEGO 6   SAN ANTONIO 27

Sacramento’s loss on Saturday meant that Sunday’s tilt between the Surf and the Squadron was primarily for bragging rights.  In particular, since the very same matchup, in the same stadium, would be played in the first round of playoffs, both teams played a pretty vanilla strategy, not wanting to give away any tactics they might unveil the next week.  San Diego made too many mistakes, including 3 interceptions between Cody Kessler and second half starter Connor Cook and the Squadron left Manziel in the game long enough to rack up 239 yards and 3 touchdowns, providing San Antonio with a comfortable lead before bringing in Travone Boykin to mop things up.  Not as exciting as the 40,000+ in the AlamoDome could have hoped for, but with a rematch scheduled for next week, the San Antonio fans still have a chance to see a true battle under the dome.

NEW ORLEANS 10  ST. LOUIS 28

The only “Win & In” game of the season’s final week was in St. Louis, where 44,200 crowded into the Dome to see the Rampage take on the Krewe for the Eastern Division Wildcard and a chance to travel to Orlando next week.  St. Louis took charge early in the 2nd when a 44 yard Hackenburg to Benn rainbow put the Rampage up 14-3.  On the very next drive, New Orleans’s Alfred Blue lost the ball as he tried to bust through the Rampage D-line, setting up St. Louis on the Krewe’s 27 yard line.   3 plays later Bobby Rainey caught a flat pass, juked the New Orleans Lb and dove past the free safety to put the Rampage up by 18.  New Orleans would score on their opening drive of the second half to make the score 21-10, but that would be as close as they got as the Rampage defense, led by 3 sacks from OLB Jordan Tripp, kept the Krewe out of the endzone for the rest of the game.   A second Hackenburg-Benn connection in the 4th put the game out of reach and gave the Rampage their playoff berth.

ORLANDO  17   ALBUQUERQUE 13

The Sunday night game was the only one on the docket without playoff implications, but that did not keep the Sol faithful from showing up.  22,420 spent a beautiful New Mexico evening at Dreamstyle Stadium and actually got a very entertaining game.  The game was 6-3 Albuquerque at the half, the margin being a Brian Hill 11 yard run, one of 24 rushes on the day for another 100+ yard game.   Clearly Hill will be an important part of the Sol offense in 2020, assuming he does not get a call from the NFL.  But, in the second half, with the game still leaning towards Albuquerque 13-10, the Juice got a break when a tipped ball from Kaaya to inman landed not in the hands of a DB, but right into the oncoming path of rookie wideout Stacy Coley, who snagged the errant pass and ran it in for 6, putting Orlando into the lead.  Colt McCoy fought valiantly to bring the Sol back, but when Orlando’s Kenny Vacarro put a hit on Sol WR Jaleel Scott, it forced a fumble that put the nail in the coffin of the Sol season.  Orlando would finish the season with a league-best 8-2 record and will next host the Rampage in UCF Stadium, a chance to avenge their loss in St. Louis only a couple of weeks earlier. 

AAF 2019 SEASON—WEEK 10 FINAL STANDINGS

EAST 

*Orlando            8-2   (5-1 Div)

^St. Louis          6-4   (4-2 Div)

New Orleans     5-5   (3-3 Div)

Memphis           3-7   (0-6 Div)

*Clinched Division Title

^ Clinched Playoff Spot

WEST

*San Antonio     7-3   (3-2 Div)

^San Diego        4-6   (3-3 Div)

Sacramento       4-6   (2-4 Div)

Albuquerque      3-7   (3-3 Div)

AAF 2019 SEMIFINAL PLAYOFF PAIRINGS

ST. LOUIS v. ORLANDO:  Spectrum Stadium,  Sunday, April 28 @ 2pm Eastern Time

SAN DIEGO v. SAN ANTONIO:  The Alamo Dome,  Sunday, April 28 @ 7pm Eastern Time

So how does the offseason free agency/draft work for this league? 

AAF 2019 PLAYOFFS & FINAL STATISTICS

ST. LOUIS 10  ORLANDO 27

The Old Ball Coach still has it.  That was the verdict after a commanding 27-10 victory by the Orlando Juice over the St. Louis Rampage.   Orlando built up a 17-0 lead on the arm of QB Brad Kaaya and never looked back, cruising to a 17 point win.  Kaaya would throw for 242 yards and 3 TDs in the game, while the Juice defense held the Rampage offense in check all game.  LB Junior Galette was given more freedom to improvise on defense, and he pressured Christian Hackenburg all game, finishing with 2 sacks, a batted pass and 3 hurries.   While the Juice rushing game was largely ineffective (as we have almost come to expect), Kaaya  was able to connect with both Dontrelle Inman and Stacy Colley for first half TD passes to build up the halftime lead.   St. Louis had some late success, but far too little to stop Orlando from moving on to the first AAF Championship, which, due to their league-leading 8-2 record, would be held at Spectrum Stadium.  If they get anything like the 40,400 fans that showed up for their first playoff game, home field could be a huge factor for the Juice.

SAN DIEGO 16   SAN ANTONIO 24

While the Surf were game all evening, the San Antonio Squadron held onto their home field advantage and parlayed that and a good game from QB Johnny Manziel into a victory and a berth in the AAF Championship.  San Diego came out strong on their first drive, with a good mix of passing and rushing which lead to a Javorius Allen 8 yard touchdown run to cap off their first drive.  But 3 straight 3-and-outs on ensuing drives gave Manziel and the Squadron the space they needed to build up a 13-8 halftime lead.  Manziel would finish the game 18-27 for 220 yards, but 3 of those completions were for TD’s, including two to his TE, former Cowboy Gavin Escobar.  As the Surf tried to rally, QB Cody Kessler started to make mistakes, two of which ended up in the hands of Squadron CB Jamar Taylor.  While the game never got out of hand, San Antonio never relinquished their lead and when Manziel took a knee on the final play the 37,050 in the Alamo Dome celebrated not only a championship spot, but the resurgence of the former Texas A&M signal caller as well.

Fi8c7ln.png

ORLANDO 23  SAN ANTONIO 15

A sellout crowd in Orlando watched as their hometown team, the Orlando Juice, led by former Florida QB and Coach Steve Spurrier, captured the inaugural league crown and bragging rights as the Champions of Spring Football.  Orlando and San Antonio played a good game all the way until the end, but in the end it was the surprise star of the league, former Miami Hurricane Brad Kaaya, who outshone the Golden Boy, Johnny Manziel to take home the crown.  Kaaya finished the game with 268 yards passing and 2 TDs while Manziel was held scoreless, despite 146 yards receiving from Squadron wideout Michael Floyd.  The Juice played a bend-but-don’t break defense, which allowed the Squadron to move the ball, but which ate up the clock and tightened whenever San Antonio crossed into fieldgoal territory.  The result was 3 FG for the Squadron, while Orlando found the endzone on two first half drives, including a beautiful Kaaya to Inman 51 yard slant&go pattern turned TD. 

The game stayed close throughout, with San Antonio finally getting their first TD 9 minutes into the 3rd quarter on a 1 yard Joe Banyard plunge.  But, the Juice scored on the very next drive on a swing pass from Kaaya to RB Matt Jones that took the ball to the house from 14 yards out.  Both defenses held the other teams in check for the remainder of the game, and when Manziel’s 4th & 4 pass to Floyd was broken up by Juice Safety Kenny Vacarro with 1:22 left, the Juice were able to kneel their way to a championship.  Kaaya was named the Championship MVP, a nice prize after finishing 2nd to Manziel in the League MVP vote.  For Steve Spurrier it was a welcome return to football in Florida.  In the post-game interview, Spurrier was already thinking about 2020, stating that he hoped to do some scouting during NFL OTA’s and training camp, but only after a few weeks off and a few well-earned rounds of golf. 

And so the first season of the AAF came to a close, and what a season it was.  With attendance, TV ratings and national interest far exceeding expectations, the AAF seems poised for the challenge of the 2020 arrival of the XFL.  Expansion to Tucson and Atlanta are already in the works, a new, more lucrative contract with CBS is in place and the league seems to have found a formula for successful spring football.  Time will tell, but the 2019 was about as strong a start as any new league could hope to have.

2019 AAF AWARD WINNERS

LEAGUE MVP:  J. Manziel, QB, San Antonio Squadron

COACH OF THE YEAR:  S. Spurrier, Orlando Juice

2019 AAF FINAL LEAGUE LEADERS

PASSING

1.       J. Manziel-SAN                          94.5 rating---2214 yards   18 TDs

2.       C. McCoy-ALB                           92.4 rating---1,274 yards    9 TDs

3.       B. Kaaya-ORL                            89.6 rating---2018 yards   14 TDs

4.       C. Hackenburg—STL                 84.7 rating---1866 yards   11 TDs

5.       C. Kaepernick---SAC                  83.2 rating---2322 yards   13 TDs

RUSHING

1.       T. Richardson-MEM                 902 yards    7TDs

2.       O. Darkwa—NOR                     877 yards   6TDs

3.       B. Rainey—STL                        862 yards   4TDs

4.       D. Pumphrey—SDG                 802 yards   5TDs

5.       J. Langford—ALB                    779 yards    4TDs

RECEIVING

1.       K. Aiken—SAC                 67 Rec    922 yards   9 TDs

2.       M. Floyd—SAN                61 Rec    855 yards    5 TDs

3.       D. Inman—ORL               58 Rec    802 yards    6 TDs

4.       E. Rogers---MEM             51 Rec   622 yards    2 TDs

5.       S. Coley---ORL                44 Rec    702 yards    3 TDs

DEFENSE

1.       Arthur Moats, LB, ALB            8.5 sacks

2.       Jordan Tripp, LB, STL             8 sacks

3.       Chris Ringo, DT, NOR            6.5 sacks

1.       J. Furman, CB, SDG              6 Int

2.       L. Webb, CB, STL                  6 Int

3.       A. Crawford, CB, MEM          4 Int

1 hour ago, ReesDaKing said:

When's the championship gonna be?

Read the post above you.

XFL may play with only 6 teams

While not confirmed by league offices, rumors about the XFL's difficulties getting stadium agreements in place in locations such as New York and Chicago are beginning to pile up, leading some to suggest that the attempted rebirth of the failed spring league may end up being smaller than originally announced.  While franchises in DC, Boston, San Jose, and Boulder, Colorado have been confirmed and there is strong evidence that Vince  McMahon has an agreement in place for an LA franchise to play at the newly opened Bank of California Stadium, it is possible that plans for franchises in several other large markets have fallen through, forcing the league to either reconsider their map for the league, or contract the planned 8 charter franchises down to 6.  With the one year head-start held by the rival Alliance of American Football, not only in putting players on the field, but in signing stadium and television contracts, the XFL might be fighting a losing battle already.  

What should the XFL do?  Should they add some smaller markets to the mix, replacing Chicago with Omaha or New York with Buffalo?  Should they play with only 6 franchises, creating an odd 10 game schedule? Or, should they think even more dramatically and coordinate talks with Ebersol and the AAF about joining forces to create a single spring league instead of two competing entities?  While the latter initially seems like a longshot, particularly considering the egos involved in both leagues, with resources and options shrinking for the XFL, it may just be the best chance McMahan and his team have of fielding a viable league in 2020. 

The XFL should give the smaller markets a chance...one of the good things about the original XFL was that half of the teams were in markets with no NFL history.

I truly think the XFL should find a way to field 8 teams. Buffalo would still give them access and viewship in the Ny media. Omaha would be another solid add, even though my gut feeling tells me no matter what the XFL does they’ll be closing down after one year here haha 

The league could be maybe a winter league *NFL Timing*. The leagues could merge to become a summer league. The AAF signs heavier talent and proves to be the better league.

XFL announces LA Stars as 5th league franchise.

Fending off rumors of potential crisis within the XFL, league CEO Vince McMahon and Head of Football Operations Ed Hochuli today announced from Banc of California Stadium, home of LA FC, that the return of the XFL would include an LA franchise.  Rumors had been spreading that the XFL was in dire trouble, having difficulty locking up stadium contracts and falling further behind the fledgling Alliance of American Football, who just finished a very successful first season.  McMahon shrugged off these rumors as "fake news" as he introduced the new coach of the Stars, former XFL MVP, UCLA and Steelers QB Tommy Maddox.   Maddox expressed his gratitude to Mr. McMahon for jumpstarting his career back in 2001 with his championship with the LA Xtreme, and for giving him the chance to do the same for others as coach of the Stars.

The team revealed their uniforms, which will align in some degree with the black and metallic gold of LAFC.  in addition to black and gold, the uniforms have a heavy dose of silver and a faded purple.  The imagery of the team cannot be mistaken for anything but old Hollywood, including a symbolic strip of film serving as both the helmet and pant stripe.  The home jerseys will be purple with black, silver and gold accents, while the pants will be silver as is the helmet. 

Banc of California stadium seats approximately 22,000 fans, making it the smallest stadium in the now 5 team XFL.  But, as it is also the newest stadium in the league, it has amenities that many others do not.  McMahon touted the stadium as one of the best in the country and a great home for the fledgling team.  When asked about future city reveals, McMahon was vehement that all 8 markets would be announced within the next 3 weeks and that the XFL was fully prepared for an April 2020 kickoff.  

mSEmsw6.png