Goldengoose05

All-American Association Football League: 1904-1905 Season Results

President Irwin announced that there would be a third division to the AAAFL in the 1904-1905 season.  "It's the first of what we see as four regional divisions. "  Working with baseball's American Association, the new Mid-American Regional Division will feature association football teams operated by those baseball organizations."  Irwin elaborated that there would not be any promotion or relegation with the Mid-American this season.  "We want to see if we this will function, and if we can get an Eastern division operating for next season."

Irwin announced the first team for the Mid-American Regional Division would be the Toledo Glassmakers.  Playing under the same management of the baseball Toledo Mud Hens, the Glassmakers will have their games at Armory Park.

1GPJRJe.png

The next team announced for the Mid-America Regional Division is the Columbus Arches.  They will be sharing Recreation Park alongside the American Association's Columbus Red Birds, with whom they share in management.

KAKsaE6.png

Another announcement for the Mid-American Regional Division.  The American Association's Kansas City Blues will be sharing Exposition Park with their association football squad, the Kansas City Fountains.

CpttvyN.png

The next team to be announced for the Mid-American Regional Division was the Indianapolis Circles.  Taking their name from the city's nickname of Circle City, the team is operated by the American Association baseball team Indianapolis Indians.  The club will play at Washington Park.

RznDWd4.png

These names have become less unique and more, outrageous and stupid for no reason, Indianapolis Circles??? St.Louis Big Deals? I’m sorry but I’d rather see every team be -city name-FC, than this. The colors can be kinda inappropriate for the time period as well, neon and bright colors shouldn’t be appearing at this time.

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

These names have become less unique and more, outrageous and stupid for no reason, Indianapolis Circles??? St.Louis Big Deals? I’m sorry but I’d rather see every team be -city name-FC, than this. The colors can be kinda inappropriate for the time period as well, neon and bright colors shouldn’t be appearing at this time.

I've tried to tone down the colors, but maybe not enough.  Indianapolis should certainly be darker.

In terms of the names, I've tried to link them to something from the city's history or a nickname of the city.  I wanted to come up with names that aren't associated with any other sports franchises.  Maybe I should rethink my approach.

To be honest the ideas of the club names are there, just need to be executed a bit better. That being said some are very good nicknames, such as the Boston Shipwrights and Philadelphia Libbies. Cleveland Forest is another good name, reminds me of Nottingham Forest. Although a club name like St. Louis Big Deals is just strange and illogical as a team name.

The Indianapolis team could be like Indianapolis Circle City, Philadelphia Sports could be Philadelphia Sporting Club, with 'Sports' as the nickname.

5 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

To be honest the ideas of the club names are there, just need to be executed a bit better. That being said some are very good nicknames, such as the Boston Shipwrights and Philadelphia Libbies. Cleveland Forest is another good name, reminds me of Nottingham Forest. Although a club name like St. Louis Big Deals is just strange and illogical as a team name.

The Indianapolis team could be like Indianapolis Circle City, Philadelphia Sports could be Philadelphia Sporting Club, with 'Sports' as the nickname.

Thanks for the feedback.  There will be some renaming happening soon.

The owners of baseball's Minneapolis Millers of the American Association announced that they would be also be fielding a team in the Mid-American Regional Division of the AAAFL.  The Minneapolis Millstones will be playing at Nicollet Park.

QnpRx26.png

The owners of the American Association's St. Paul Saints announced that they would be operating a team as well.  They initially thought utilizing a name reminiscent of the area's early religious explorers for the team nickname.  The owners instead decided to link it to St. Paul's famous Winter Carnival.  One of the leading figures in the carnival is King Boreas.  In Greek mythology, Boreas had two sons named Calais and Zetes, who were known as the Boreads.  It was this name that the management decided upon.  The Boreads will play at Lexington Park.

The owners also noted that they had commissioned a Blue Ox Trophy, to be given to the winner of their games with their fellow Twin Cities club, the Minneapolis Millstones.

n7Tuc8l.png  

6 hours ago, Goldengoose05 said:

The owners of the American Association's St. Paul Saints announced that they would be operating a team as well.  They initially thought utilizing a name reminiscent of the area's early religious explorers for the team nickname.  The owners instead decided to link it to St. Paul's famous Winter Carnival.  One of the leading figures in the carnival is King Boreas.  In Greek mythology, Boreas had two sons named Calais and Zetes, who were known as the Boreads.  It was this name that the management decided upon.  The Boreads will play at Lexington Park.

The owners also noted that they had commissioned a Blue Ox Trophy, to be given to the winner of their games with their fellow Twin Cities club, the Minneapolis Millstones.

n7Tuc8l.png  

That font for the "B" looks way to futuristic for 1975, let alone 1905

Agreed with TargetToad here about being too modern. Reminds me of the New Balance logo. Looks like what you would see in the 1980s at the earliest (the team could use this in the 1980s). This is 1904.

Plus Babe the Blue Ox was not popularised until 1916.

Going back to the nicknames, the name 'Baltimore Bannerets' is a totally intimidating and cool nickname, and I think a real life team should use 'Bannerets' one day!

Thanks for the critiques.  I need to remember to keep things period-specific.  Here's a revised version for the Boreads.  I'll need to come up with a new name for the derby trophy; I had thought Babe went back to the earliest Paul Bunyan legends. I guess I still haven't become a true Minnesota resident yet. :)

ztcJU69.png

5 hours ago, Goldengoose05 said:

Thanks for the critiques.  I need to remember to keep things period-specific.  Here's a revised version for the Boreads.  I'll need to come up with a new name for the derby trophy; I had thought Babe went back to the earliest Paul Bunyan legends. I guess I still haven't become a true Minnesota resident yet. :)

ztcJU69.png

That looks much better for 1904. Also, if you evef need anything about Minnesota, ask Section30. He's doing a whole series on Minnesota minor league hockey.  (But if Section doesn't have any input, I'd go with "The Cup of 1000 lakes" and have the trophy's bowl be filled water from an actual lake in the Twin Cities area).

On 10/7/2018 at 8:07 AM, Goldengoose05 said:

The owners of baseball's Minneapolis Millers of the American Association announced that they would be also be fielding a team in the Mid-American Regional Division of the AAAFL.  The Minneapolis Millstones will be playing at Nicollet Park.

QnpRx26.png

I like the name, it fits with the owners. I would however suggest making the colors orange, black and grey to match the Millers. I think a bit of color would improve the look and add something to it.

ztcJU69.png

I like the name and colors for St. Paul, nothing really to complain about here. It's cool to see a sports team based on the winter carnival.

I'll need to come up with a new name for the derby trophy; I had thought Babe went back to the earliest Paul Bunyan legends. I guess I still haven't become a true Minnesota resident yet. :)

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

That looks much better for 1904. Also, if you evef need anything about Minnesota, ask Section30. He's doing a whole series on Minnesota minor league hockey.  (But if Section doesn't have any input, I'd go with "The Cup of 1000 lakes" and have the trophy's bowl be filled water from an actual lake in the Twin Cities area).

If I could throw in some thoughts of my own. I would suggest making the derby name and trophy be more specific to the twin cities rather than the state of Minnesota as a whole. At this point in time there was a much bigger emphasis on the rivalry between Minneapolis and St. Paul than the "claiming" state as a whole. I would suggest something related to Fort Snelling since it is located right next to both cities and helped them become the major cities they are. I would say something like the "cannon trophy" where the winners could fire the cannon or color it their colors or something. I hope this helps, I like what I've seen so far!

The new American Association baseball club, the Louisville Colonels, announced that they would be operating an association football team in conjunction with the owners of Churchill Downs.   Matt Winn, who has been doing fantastic work for the racetrack, will be the general manager of the new Louisville Racehorses.  He chose a jockey-style pattern for the Racehorses' kits.  The Racehorses will be playing this season at Eclipse Park, but a football stadium will be constructed on the Churchill Downs grounds in the near future.

QWwefk1.png

(I edited some free clipart of a horse to make the "R"-ish shape)

That font for Louisville is definitely not time appropriate.

13 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

That font for Louisville is definitely not time appropriate.

I had thought it looked Art Deco, and I had thought that Art Deco was a turn of the century movement.  Apparently my memory failed me and Art Deco still 20 years in the future.  I will revise it.