Sign in to follow this  
BengalErnst

Xtreme Football Alliance

The Xtreme Football Alliance was announced on March 20, 2016 by Vince McMahon and Charlie Ebersol, the son of NBC Sports President Dick Ebersol.  The XFA will be overseen by former NFL general manager Bill Polian, former Pittsburgh Steeler safety Troy Polamalu and executive J.K. McKay.  Advisers also include NFLers Hines Ward, Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, former Orlando Rage owner Tom Veit and Dick Ebersol himself.

By August 2016, the league plans to announce sixteen teams and their cities. Regional drafts would then be held in September with protection for local college players that are eligible.  The XFA plans to begin its inaugural, 12-week season on January 7, 2017.  The eight-team playoff would be capped with the league's championship game planned for the weekend of April 15-16.

The league will originally operate as a dual entity, with eight teams owned and operated by Legendary Field Exhibitions LLC(Charlie Ebersol), while the other eight teams are owned and operated by Alpha Entertainment LLC(Vince McMahon).  Both Legendary Field Exhibitions and Alpha Entertainment own 50% of the XFA as both companies fronted $100M for start up costs.

Rules

• Teams will have 40 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft.
  • Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.
  • All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra points kicked.
  • There will be no kickoffs; all possessions will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA.
  • The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL.
  • Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays.
  • Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.

As part of its formation, the XFA announced broadcast deals with CBS Sports; the inaugural game and championship game will both air on CBS, while the CBS Sports Network and the USA Network, which hosts McMahon's World Wrestling Entertainment two weekly broadcast, will each air one game per Saturday and Sunday.  The league's mobile app will offer live streaming of all games, as well as provide integrated fantasy games.

Posted (edited)

April 7, 2016: The Xtreme Football Alliance, a new professional spring league set to debut next February, revealed on "CBS This Morning: Saturday" that the first host city will be Orlando, with college football Hall of Famer Steve Spurrier set to coach.

The XFA’s co-founder Charlie Ebersol, former NFL wide receiver Hines Ward, who is serving as an executive of player relations, and Spurrier himself joined "CBS This Morning: Saturday" to discuss the new league’s first team.  The trio revealed the team’s logo, and name, the Orlando Dragons.  The Dragons will play their games at Camping World Stadium.

Edited by LMU
Removing personal work used without permission.

That dragon is shaped too much like a "G"... cause I guess that's where you swiped it. 

Doesn't really work for you. 

40 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

That dragon is shaped too much like a "G"... cause I guess that's where you swiped it. 

Doesn't really work for you. 

Yeah I noticed that myself and have plans to find a new Dragons logo.  I just want to make sure I go through and give proper credit this time around.  These artists are truly talented, much more than I, and deserves more people to see their work.

Posted (edited)

April 9, 2016: The Xtreme Football Alliance has now introduced their second team, the New York Hitmen, a reiteration of an originial XFL team in 2001.

Vince McMahon, not wanting to be outdone by his XFA co-founder, announced the team live during the opening minutes of WWE Monday Night Raw on the USA Network while filming in New York.  He then brought out former New York Giants Head Coach Jim Fassel.

The 68 year old has pined for a return to coaching since the UFL folded back in 2012. 

Edited by LMU
Removing personal work used without permission.

I find it confusing  a team have a gun as a logo, especially in this day and age, even if it is an extreme league

31 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I find it confusing  a team have a gun as a logo, especially in this day and age, even if it is an extreme league

I completely agree, and this will likely be a misstep by Mr. McMahon during the league’s year one. Expect for a name change in year 2. I just had to use this logo for the league as it’s just too good.

So are you just taking other peoples logos and making this league ?

10 hours ago, MSO94 said:

So are you just taking other peoples logos and making this league ?

Yes. Over 90% of the threads on these boards are people making concepts with logos created by someone else. I’m not taking any credit for the logos, hence why I’m sharing where I got them. 

Many successful alternate universe fictional leagues currently on this portion of the message board use real life logos designed by someone else to tell their story.

The only work that will be my own is the implementation of making these great logos into a football team, with an overarching story about a league named the Xtreme Football Alliance.

43 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Yes. Over 90% of the threads on these boards are people making concepts with logos created by someone else. I’m not taking any credit for the logos, hence why I’m sharing where I got them. 

90%? No, the whole idea is you make concepts, nothing necessarily wrong with this but don’t try to twist the facts 

Posted (edited)

April 17, 2016:  The rumors circling Rick Neuheisel over the last few weeks are proven true as Charlie Ebersol announces the coach’s return to professional football as he is named the Head Coach of the league’s third franchise, the San Diego Sea Devils.

The Sea Devils will play their home games at Qualcomm Stadium right there in San Diego and both Ebersol and Neuheisel expect a rabid angry fan base to heavily support the team as the southern California city is still upset about losing their NFL Chargers to Los Angeles.

fw7y4y.jpg

Edited by LMU
Logo/workmark taken from Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europa

April 22, 2016:  Vince McMahon via a live announcement from the league’s Facebook page announced the XFA’s 4th franchise, the San Antonio Rattlers.

The Rattlers will play their home games at Alamo Dome and be led by former University of Texas Head Coach Mack Brown.  Brown hasn’t coached since being fired from the university.

xogvma.jpg

May 1, 2016:  Charlie Ebersol announced that he sold 12.5%(25% of his shares) of the XFA to Ted Leonsis and Monumental Sports & Entertainment LLC.  Leonsis is also the owner of the NBA Washington Wizards, NHL Washington Capitals and the WNBA Washington Mystics.  With this purchase, Leonsis received the right to own two of the 16 XFA teams. 

Three months ago in February 2016, Leonsis announced that he was close to a deal with the Arena Football League about purchasing two teams but that deal fell through once the league started experiencing even more drastic upheaval than expected.  The Arena Football League’s commissioner Scott Butera announced they will be playing the 2017 season with 8 teams, the Jacksonville Sharks, Portland Steel, Orlando Predators, Philadelphia Soul, Cleveland Gladiators, Arizona Rattlers, Los Angeles Kiss, and the Tampa Bay Storm.

On May 14, 2016 Ted Leonsis announced his two XFA teams, the Washington Valor and the Baltimore Brigade.  The Valor will be playing their home games at the Capital One Arena under former Notre Dame Head Coach Charlie Weis, while the Brigade will be playing their home games at Royal Farms Arena under former Baltimore Ravens Head Coach Brian Billick. 

1567gcz.jpg

99h069.jpg

On 4/22/2018 at 9:32 AM, BengalErnst said:

I gotta agree with @BellaSpurs here.  Even I, known for somewhat crappy logos, don't take other people's logos, for I'm not lazy enough to take someone's logo.  It's also not 90% of the concepts on these boards that take other people's logos.  Most people take time and effort to make their logos.  Get off your lazy butt and make your own logos.  You did this before and got punished for it.  Don't think it won't happen again.

I really don't have an issue if you want to use pre-existing logos, as long as you are crediting the source, and it seems clear that you are focusing your energy on the uniform designs.  They are all really intense, which makes sense for a partial XFL partial AAF league.  It makes sense particularly if your premise is that some teams (like the Valor or Brigade) are moving from a failing league into the XFA.  While I know that there are some threads where the emphasis is on creating new logos, for me, within the "alternative history" thread it makes sense that we would see re-used or not-original logos, at least in part.  I did this with my USFL alternative history, obviously using the USFL logos but also assuming that designs which ended up in the XFL, WLAF, UFL or CFL would have ended up being used by the same branding agencies for a more successful and sustained USFL. 

9 minutes ago, Luingus221 said:

I gotta agree with @BellaSpurs here.  Even I, known for somewhat crappy logos, don't take other people's logos, for I'm not lazy enough to take someone's logo.  It's also not 90% of the concepts on these boards that take other people's logos.  Most people take time and effort to make their logos.  Get off your lazy butt and make your own logos.  You did this before and got punished for it.  Don't think it won't happen again.

If they want to close my thread again, then that is fine.  It is their call and I won't argue with it, but I believe I learned from my mistake with the last league by providing adequate credit for where I got the logos.  I wouldn't consider myself lazy considering my 'concept' would be the story of the XFA along with my own designed jerseys using these logos.  My 90% statement comes from looking at the concepts portion of this message board where there is literally thousands of threads where the poster only makes jerseys/helmets using logos not created by them.  If you don't want to follow my 'alternate history' league than you clearly don't have to and I respect your opinion.

7 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I really don't have an issue if you want to use pre-existing logos, as long as you are crediting the source, and it seems clear that you are focusing your energy on the uniform designs.  They are all really intense, which makes sense for a partial XFL partial AAF league.  It makes sense particularly if your premise is that some teams (like the Valor or Brigade) are moving from a failing league into the XFA.  While I know that there are some threads where the emphasis is on creating new logos, for me, within the "alternative history" thread it makes sense that we would see re-used or not-original logos, at least in part.  I did this with my USFL alternative history, obviously using the USFL logos but also assuming that designs which ended up in the XFL, WLAF, UFL or CFL would have ended up being used by the same branding agencies for a more successful and sustained USFL. 

WideRight, you are a guy I look up to on this board.  Your work has been amazing and I can't touch what you do.  I appreciate your comment here because that's exactly what I am doing here, I am admitting that I can't create solid logos, so I'm using other great logos to tell my alternate universe story where I also do design conceptual jerseys for these teams.  I understand that my league may rub some people the wrong way for some reason but I don't see it as me doing anything really wrong or different than many on these boards.  Many people on these boards can't make logos, its a skill, so they make "concepts" where all they do is make a unique uniform.

I have to side with @BengalErnst on this one.  Anyone that uses any pre-existing NFL, NBA, etc logo in their "concept" is technically taking someone else's hard work and re-purposing it for their own use.  I see no difference here so long as credit to the original logos is clearly given (side note:  the next time I see the original NFL/NBA/etc logo designer credited in a concept will be the first time).  If an original logo's designer objects to this use, then it should be taken down immediately, but if we're only going to allow 100% original designs, then I'll expect to start seeing every design with an official logo in it taken down immediately.  As @WideRight stated, the focus of this thread is clearly on uniform design and sports fiction, which Bengal is definitely putting out original concepts.  If he was just using existing NFL logos, I don't think anyone would have blinked twice.  Let's save the extreme vetting for those users who are just straight up swiping logos and passing them off as their own and not doing anything interesting with those logos on top of that.   That said, @BengalErnst just make sure you don't slack off on giving credit where its due, as I'll be the first one to call you out on it.  Otherwise, I like what you're doing with these designs.  Nice out-of-the-box thinking, and while each uniform design is unique, they definitely all share an aesthetic.  You clearly have some ability to use Photoshop.  Why not take this opportunity to branch out and at least attempt an original logo.  Share it step by step here and ask for help along the way.  This is one of the most helpful communities like this I've ever seen, so break out of your comfort zone and make at least one of these logos of your own design.  Start with a sketch. Be an inspiration for other designers hesitant to create something original.

Posted (edited)

We’ve gone from “borrowing” logos to just plain ripping off existing team identities. We’re done here.

EDIT: Thread is unlocked but removing personal concept logos (not fair use professional teams) since express permission was not granted by the designer.

Edited by LMU

Posted (edited)

I like this thread alot, absolutley awesome stuff idc if some of the teams are stolen (not properly cited), its still cool 

Edited by TCW Inc.

22 minutes ago, TCW Inc. said:

I like this thread alot, absolutley awesome stuff idc if some of the teams are stolen (not properly cited), its still cool 

I appreciate the kind words, I’m gonna try to start creating my own logos and then get this back up and running. I properly cited all logos that I used but there is a difference in using a logo that was sold to a professional team, and one that wasn’t sold to a professional team that I didn’t realize.  I don’t want to rub anyone the wrong way.