SportsLogos.Net News

Georgia Tech tweaks colors and adds new wordmark ahead of switch to Adidas

Recommended Posts

Georgia Tech tweaks colors and adds new wordmark ahead of switch to Adidas

April 21, 2018 - 22:08 PM

On Friday, Georgia Tech’s football team had their annual Spring game and it was notable for a couple of reasons. While the athletic program has yet to unveil their new Adidas uniforms (since they have to wait until the Spring […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate when they don’t make the word mark the same as the logo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Esco said:

I hate when they don’t make the word mark the same as the logo 

 

I think the monogram could have become a really cool wordmark. I also think it could have used a nice cleanup; the flat spot on the bottom of the G has always bugged me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Georgia Tech has one of the strangest identities I can think of. If you’re going to own gold as a primary color I really wish you’d lean in the direction of yellow rather than sand. But hardly anyone does that.

 

Plus they’ve rarely had a consistent identity in terms of number font, wordmark, etc. Maybe this will be the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed for the first time that the left upper portion of the T is much longer than the right upper portion. I understand it has to accommodate the G, but oh my goodness is that hard to ignore now. It should mirror the left side and be equal on both sides. Yikes. That thing needed more than a retouch. The bottom of the G also looks terrible like AH noted. Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I just noticed for the first time that the left upper portion of the T is much longer than the right upper portion. I understand it has to accommodate the G, but oh my goodness is that hard to ignore now. It should mirror the left side and be equal on both sides. Yikes. That thing needed more than a retouch. The bottom of the G also looks terrible like AH noted. Wow.

I mean, that was basically my experience.

 

"Hey, they did a nice job cleannnnOOOOOMG WHY DID THEY DO THAT?!?!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they kinda stay a white at home team, with gold jersey once and a while and blue for big games.  Blue looks best, but for big games like the Orange Bowl at the end of 2014. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I just noticed for the first time that the left upper portion of the T is much longer than the right upper portion. I understand it has to accommodate the G, but oh my goodness is that hard to ignore now. It should mirror the left side and be equal on both sides. Yikes. That thing needed more than a retouch. The bottom of the G also looks terrible like AH noted. Wow.

 

Great!  Add this to my "Now I can't unsee it!" list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weird thing is that the helmet logo and the official GT logo have been different for quite some time.

 

Notice the differences between the logo above ^^^ and the logos below, particularly in the down stroke of the serif on the G, the width of the top of the T, and the inner parts of the T's down stroke-serifs (the logo angles them outward, the helmet has the inner strokes of the serifs as vertical).

 

georgia-tech.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

852472764-pittsburgh-v-georgia-tech.jpg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The helmet version is superior, IMO. Look at how much better that T is! They really should standardize around that version instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, Esco said:

I hate when they don’t make the word mark the same as the logo 

 

I don't. 

 

Some lettermarks don't work in the context of a full word, they are designed to work on their own.  Some of the best, indeed.

 

500px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png300px-Yankees_logo.svg.png

325px-New_York_Mets_Insignia.svg.png 500px-Chicago_Bears_logo.svg.png

 

 

I don't want anyone to force a font that would incorporate these letterforms into a wordmark.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

I don't. 

 

Some lettermarks don't work in the context of a full word, they are designed to work on their own.  Some of the best, indeed.

 

500px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png300px-Yankees_logo.svg.png

325px-New_York_Mets_Insignia.svg.png 500px-Chicago_Bears_logo.svg.png

 

 

I don't want anyone to force a font that would incorporate these letterforms into a wordmark.

 

But ---- I always liked the Mets "New York" jerseys in this font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But ---- I always liked the Mets "New York" jerseys in this font.

 

The Mets haven't used a wordmark with those letters.  They've used something similar, but not the actual letters.  Because what works in a logo doesn't always work in a wordmark.

 

ofm3thffrxxr0oifej357wa5y.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

The Mets haven't used a wordmark with those letters.  They've used something similar, but not the actual letters.  Because what works in a logo doesn't always work in a wordmark.

 

ofm3thffrxxr0oifej357wa5y.png

Thanks - I was lazy and didn't look it up. I actually figured it was just similar and not the same.

 

Point being - I agree with what you said and should have left it at that :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll let Liebe show why some insignia fonts make terrible wordmarks.

NewYork4.gif

 

Cincinnati.gif

 

Imagine trying to write whole words with those letters, getting them to fit within a set space (possibly with outlines) without condensing or adjusting the font in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not really ever looked to closely at the GT logo and now that I am...it's pretty flawed. The the primary and helmet logo have "G"s that look like "C"s or almost like party-obscured horseshoes.

 

The asymmetric "T" on the primary is bad but even on the helmet, you have a very long "crossbar" and a stumpy vertical line.  It should probably be lower.

 

To me though, I think they just wanted a "GT" logo so badly they were willing to make it ind of a mess.  The more I stare at it the more it stops looking like a "GT." And despite the issues pointed out with the "T," I think it's the "C" that's a bigger negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I have not really ever looked to closely at the GT logo and now that I am...it's pretty flawed. The the primary and helmet logo have "G"s that look like "C"s or almost like party-obscured horseshoes.

 

The asymmetric "T" on the primary is bad but even on the helmet, you have a very long "crossbar" and a stumpy vertical line.  I should probably be lower.

 

To me though, I think they just wanted a "GT" logo so badly they were willing to make it ind of a mess.  The more I stare at it the more it stops looking like a "GT." And despite the issues pointed out with the "T," I think it's the "C" that's a bigger negative.

 

I will second all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now