College Hockey Concepts: Bentley Falcons

MDGP

Hey all! I'm back with another installment of what I guess is a long running series of college hockey concepts! Previously, I've done concepts for national champs and mainstays, mid-level  contenders, and college hockey's resident oddity. Today I take on what might be college hockey's most obscure school: The Bentley University Falcons.

gnB41vE.png

Bentley is a small school in Waltham, MA, located just nine miles outside of Boston. Unlike it's four neighboring schools to the east, Bentley has demonstrated little success since its rise to Division 1 in 1999. The Falcons are a bad team in the Atlantic Hockey Conference, easily the worst conference in D1. The Atlantic only factors into the national scene every year because it has an automatic qualifier, so its champion will eliminated SOMEONE from the national tournament (or beat St. Cloud in their yearly first round exit). To demonstrate just how awful the Atlantic Conference is, here is the actual, 100% real, I'm not joking in any way conference logo:

atlantic_hockey_image_2_1.jpg

Bentley is a perennial bottom feeder, never making the National Tournament, never even finishing higher than 45th in the pairwise since its inception in 2003. The school's branding reflects its lack of success. The primary logo is a split-color shield featuring a beveled B. The logo somehow has five colors. Three shades of grey, blue, and white. The alternate logo is a poorly drawn bird featuring SEVEN colors, the five from the primary, and an additional blue, and yellow. 

I wanted to create a more modern and respectable identity for Bentley, which began with examining what type of Falcon I wanted to use. I ultimately chose the American Kestrel a small bird to represent a small school. The design is relatively straightforward, replacing the Kestrel's reddish-brown feathers with the school's cobalt blue. The identity also features a custom font designed to better pair with the logo than a normal block font.

rWAwHNA.png

Here is a side by side comparison with the current logo set:

aoRjB7W.png

Finally, the uniforms. The striping is an homage to the current shield with a blue and white/black stripe. Despite liking the blue, Bentley currently wears black primarily in real life and I felt the color scheme was a more unique look.

dtZ8d7q.png

Thanks for viewing guys, I'd love your C+C!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

That looks beautiful. The only thing I'd change is I'd bring back that shield, but simplify. I'd make the secondary the B in the shield (no italics) and without the weird shading from the original.

tinysig.jpg

Archived