Canadian Premier League

steve61

Taken from an article on sportsnet about the logo.  The team name pays homage to 3 World War I soldiers who all lived on the same street, which was renamed Valor Street after each were awarded the Victoria Cross medal, the Commonwealth's premier military decoration for gallantry in WWI.

The club colours are listed as "Valour Maroon," "Wheat Gold" and "Earth Black."

The team says the Valour FC crest draws its inspiration from the Victoria Cross medal, with a ‘V’ emulating a folded ribbon wrapped by the circle of the maroon medal.

The centre of the ‘V’ represents the meeting point of the Red River and Assiniboine River. The right side of the ‘V’ also creates a ‘W’ — for the city of Winnipeg.

The arc of wheat at the top of the crest "symbolizes the thriving agriculture industry that has been a mainstay in the province and has grown into an iconic Manitoban symbol."

22 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Earth black? I've heard of naming your colors something nonsensical but that takes the cake

Also it's super close to a book about the holocaust. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

fc-edmonton-shiefl.jpg?quality=70&strip=

The FC Edmonton emblem originates from the City of Edmonton Coat of Arms. A symbol of our history, courage and strength.

The City of Edmonton Coat of Arms was granted on October 8, 1995. Each element reflects the city’s motto –  industry, integrity and progress. The top of the shield inspires the blue sky of the Prairies against the North Saskatchewan River represented in the lower part of the shield. Many will feel welcomed by the prairie blue sky and sunny days as they explore Alberta’s prairies. The North Saskatchewan River is a majestic and beautiful river that winds northeast through Edmonton. It also floats across Alberta and Saskatchewan to Lake Winnipeg, into the Nelson River and eventually into the Hudson Bay. Many residents and visitors use the river and river valley for recreation activities including canoeing, kayaking, jet skiing, fishing and more.

The rabbit footprints are in tribute to the club’s Rally Rabbit, FC Edmonton’s visitor and symbol of good luck. It all happened on a sunny Sunday afternoon in late June when FC Edmonton faced the Montreal Impact at Foote Field, the club’s home for that 2011 season. In the opening minutes, a rabbit entered the pitch, and planted itself right in front of the Impact net. Several attempts were made to chase it away, but the elusive bunny proved to be a tricky opponent, much to the delight of the crowd. Shortly after, Kyle Porter scored, and the Eddies ended up winning the game 1-0. The legend of the Rally Rabbit was born.

The vision behind our name comes from three main pillars; Family, Courage and Energy. Family is a nod to the Fath family and the soccer community we are creating. Courage is about coming back, restarting and never giving up energy comes from the power of our youth, the future of our city.

Our club colours are inspired by the beautiful blue skies of Northern Alberta and the proud people who live under it. The flow of the North Saskatchewan River, as it winds down from the mountains each spring, pushes away the sediment of the winter run-off leaving a clear line through the city and sparking the club’s primary colour, River City Navy. The area of blue in the big sky as the sun fades away for the night says Edmonton owns blue. It’s the inspiration for the Prairie Blue Sky.

Capturing the imagination of FC Edmonton fans, the club has embraced their mascot with it’s third primary colour, White Rabbit.

52 minutes ago, ujju2 said:

Unfortunately my hometown team has what is imo the worst logo unveiled thus far.

It is a small improvement over the NASL version... 

https://scontent.fyxd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t45.1600-4/cp0/q90/c0.11.720.376/s552x414/29964441_6101714021521_2705062079097733120_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJxZV9ncm91cHMiOlsibm9fc2FmZV9pbWFnZV9mb3JfYWRzX2ltYWdlIl19&_nc_eui2=AeHOOkNepUus2Df7l1asymGlBxWrKEmDXC69Yu_wGIWJFdLMT0CWoS8267PoRpaurTqORr7yDkRmlkntTagaijPRsCNxAOSUfJ9fTIeDsKOkqw&oh=59191aee0fc74b31a056edbb16b20eda&oe=5BA91ED3

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

1 hour ago, sportsherald said:

You think it's an improvement? I disagree. At least he old logo had recognition in Edmonton. It's at best a lateral move, which means it's a downgrade because it lacks recognition.

Edit: Only thing I like is the new colour scheme.

The new badge will have recognition once it’s in use for a couple years. The old one was pretty generic anyways. The new one has a more interesting usage of the team’s initials than just putting ‘FC’ on opposite sides of a shield. 

I definitely think it’s better than Cavalry’s badge. At a push, I think I’d put it ahead of York’s and it succeeds in being more simple than Valour’s attractive but very busy badge. 

I think a full rabbit silhouette would have gave the logo more character than the tracks though. That’s my only real gripe with it.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:19 PM, ujju2 said:

You think it's an improvement? I disagree. At least he old logo had recognition in Edmonton. It's at best a lateral move, which means it's a downgrade because it lacks recognition.

Edit: Only thing I like is the new colour scheme.

Losing that generic soccer ball and red maple leaf are an improvement. I think it's a slight upgrade.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, Mockba said:

The old one wasn't exactly good, but... ick.  That's unattractive, and the FCE is completely illegible.

100% agreed. I dislike the way the "E" looks due to the blue river thing that is supposed to be the middle line of the E.

The rest, much like the old badge, is pretty generic stuff. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

100% agreed. I dislike the way the "E" looks due to the blue river thing that is supposed to be the middle line of the E.

The rest, much like the old badge, is pretty generic stuff. 

The annoying thing is the blue river wasn't even needed.  The top of the F and the full C already form an E.  

• Like 1

zzPEfBm.png

2 minutes ago, steve61 said:

The annoying thing is the blue river wasn't even needed.  The top of the F and the full C already form an E.  

I actually didn't even notice that, lol. Good point

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I am not very impressed with this new Edmonton logo. Kind of a lateral move, possibly a slight downgrade.

The font for "FC Edmonton" and "2010" on this logo is more boring than the previous logo's, which had pleasant serifs.

The "FC Edmonton" text on top looks off, being in a straight line underneath the curved top of the shield.

I don't really like how the primary focus are the letters "FC" rather than the city name itself. The "E" is just not very visible.

Are those supposed to be rabbit tracks? I just wish they had put their rabbit silhouette alternate logo front and center in this shield.

CcAjkw9XIAILBgH.jpg

I think, altogether, this logo feels just as generic as the last.

I like the double blue, though -- it works well with the Oilers, who keep switching between royal and navy. Add the Oilers' orange or copper (or possibly the CFL team's yellow) and this would be an even better color scheme!