Canadian Premier League

steve61

One has to watch the video to understand all the elements behind the Pacific's badge. But it does kinda make sense once you realize it's a tree, and the waves make a v. It's just not obvious what they're going for which makes the final product kinda weird because it's just too subtle. For instance with Edmonton's badge, which has received probably the most criticism so far, you can at least make out right away that it says FCE. 

Pacific's colours are beautiful however. Best colour scheme in the league so far and I doubt any future entries will top it.

Overall I'd say its been a mostly decent rollout of club identities. It's admittedly pretty hard to develop names and logos across a new league without straying too far to one side where every club is just "City FC" or has some ultra weird or cartoony nickname. Just look at the some of the founding or even current MLS members. 

The only "Euro-dressup" name is Wanderers and that's much less an obvious copy than using Real or United (makes sense with DC and Minny though) or even Sporting. Plus the name Wanderers has some history in Halifax. Most of these names have something to with the city or location.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised overall at how disliked the branding for this league seems to be in general. I actually really like a lot of the logos unveiled. There's a few I really hate, like my home team of Edmonton, but overall I think the reaction hasn't been positive enough.

If I could rank the badges so far:

1. Halifax Wanderers: colours are nice, unique shape, inclusion of bridge is awesome. A little too similar to the whitecaps.

2. Valour FC: very attractive badge, a little busy and a bit too dark. 

3. Pacific FC: amazing colours, neat symbolism but a bit hard to figure out the tree and abstract Van Isle shape

T-4. York 9 FC: interesting look. Not big on  the futuristic colour scheme. 

T-4: FC Edmonton: an improvement on the original. Double blue is better than just having the Impacts colours. The ‘FCE’ icon is good but also annoyingly off-centre and the font for the club name and founding year is too plain. Should have been a full rabbit instead of just the tracks.

T-6. Forge FC: nice colours, kind of a boring crest. Not super legibile if the club is meant to be mainly called Forge and not Hamilton. Easier to make out the H than the F.

T-6. Cavalry FC: It’s conventional and proper looking but a bit too simple. My main gripe is that it seems like there might be a competing identity at play with all the  monochromatic variations of the badge . Are they a green or red team? Every other club has laid out their colour scheme nicely on their own badge. 

On 7/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I believe so.

I wonder if they have to wait for the off season to announce it as they currently play in a different league. 

If USL will force them to wait/there could be legal issues?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Despite their primary logo that I do not prefer, I’ve put a deposit down on Forge season tickets. 

Talked to a rep. There’s going to be 14 home games plus 1 Canadian Championship qualifier (and “another game” whatever that means. Probably a friendly but I sincerely hope not. I’m fully for the “Cups, not friendlies” mentality) so that’s good news that the CPL and CSA seem to have the format change for the Canadian championship planed already. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 1 month later...

Seems to be a bunch of scuttlebut on twitter that Ottawa may not be the 8th team in CPL for the first season.  Creates quite a bit of speculation as to where else they may go. The league needs to have a presence in Quebec IMO. 

On 8/30/2018 at 4:16 PM, Corvus said:

Seems to be a bunch of scuttlebut on twitter that Ottawa may not be the 8th team in CPL for the first season.  Creates quite a bit of speculation as to where else they may go. The league needs to have a presence in Quebec IMO. 

Agreed. Quebec City or Trois Rivieres probably.

Signature intentionally left blank

15 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Which may not be a bad thing. It would prevent fans from visiting teams from setting the stands on fire.... 

I'm sure you are joking but I wouldn't think that loosing a home game and being kicked out of the country's cup tournament is a good thing for the club. That would also automatically mean they couldn't qualify for the champion's league either (not that it was likely to happen).

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 5:55 PM, Prince Harry said:

Macron has been doing a decent job with their kits lately. The only thing I dislike about their designs is they always stick their weird logo on the sleeves. 

Puma does the same thing with their jerseys, but I will agree that Macron is a good bet to do this. 

18 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Puma does the same thing with their jerseys, but I will agree that Macron is a good bet to do this. 

Only Nike and Adidas don't do this routinely, though the three stripe requirement by Adidas is almost the same in my book.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 9/30/2018 at 6:27 PM, WBeltz said:

Puma’s logo is cool at least, much as I don’t support putting it all over the kit. Macron’s logo is particularly awkward and kind of obtrusive. 

• 5 months later...

The Canadian Premier League is set to unveil 14 kits for all 7 clubs on Thursday of this week.

They've posted a teaser of something on Twitter. That's the league motto, on what appears to be a back collar(?). Hoping that's just some sort of league marketing top, as it would be strange to have a league motto on a club kit..

I'm really hoping we get a lot of colour vs colour for this league. The potential is there for sure. 

Yeah there's potential for every club to own a colour (as above in that graphic), but there's also a chance we see Edmonton in navy, Valour in black, York in grey, Halifax in navy... which would be a very dark league overall.

20 hours ago, nas1787 said:

The Canadian Premier League is set to unveil 14 kits for all 7 clubs on Thursday of this week.

They've posted a teaser of something on Twitter. That's the league motto, on what appears to be a back collar(?). Hoping that's just some sort of league marketing top, as it would be strange to have a league motto on a club kit..

What's the quality of Macron jerseys? There have been a few teams who have good designs under them and I was going to purchase one but wanted to know the quality of them before hand.

Archived