Braves Alternate Hat

HuntTheJones

Mulled over the idea of a true alternate hat for the Atlanta Braves.  They currently use only the Navy Hat/Red Bill/White A at home with the All Navy/White A on the road.  They seem to have dropped the old Navy hat/Red Tomahawk A hat that was the alternate.  Here's to trying out something different.  The B from the "Braves" script.

34ph0lg.pngk180wj.png2h50ev7.png11gkjn7.png

C&C appreciated. Chop On.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Monograms should typically represent the team's city, not the nickname

Exceptions to this include the A's, Angels, White Sox, Orioles alt. So some precedent. Also more if you include batting practice lids. 

3 minutes ago, woody86 said:

Exceptions to this include the A's, Angels, White Sox, Orioles alt. So some precedent. Also more if you include batting practice lids. 

A's, I'll halfway give you.. Angels came into existence when they were from Anaheim, White Sox is an entire word - not a monogram (or initials), O's is one I've never agreed with, but fits in the same category as the A's (that those terms are unofficial nicknames for the team, and those nicknames are then fully spelled out, therefore no longer being monograms in the pure sense), and batting practice alts are allowed to be a little looser and have more leeway and be a bit more "fun", so they're all a bit of a reach for comparing this Braves alt to.. It'd be serviceable as a BP cap, but that's about all imo.. 

21 hours ago, HuntTheJones said:

Mulled over the idea of a true alternate hat for the Atlanta Braves.  They currently use only the Navy Hat/Red Bill/White A at home with the All Navy/White A on the road.  They seem to have dropped the old Navy hat/Red Tomahawk A hat that was the alternate.  Here's to trying out something different.  The B from the "Braves" script.

I think they look great. And bonus points for doing something I haven't seen before. I'd be interested to see one with lettering, no outline, blue brim, similar to the cap they have used in recent years. I'd also like to see the font just a skoche thicker. Again, great work! 

6 hours ago, WavePunter said:

A's, I'll halfway give you.. Angels came into existence when they were from Anaheim, White Sox is an entire word - not a monogram (or initials), O's is one I've never agreed with, but fits in the same category as the A's (that those terms are unofficial nicknames for the team, and those nicknames are then fully spelled out, therefore no longer being monograms in the pure sense), and batting practice alts are allowed to be a little looser and have more leeway and be a bit more "fun", so they're all a bit of a reach for comparing this Braves alt to.. It'd be serviceable as a BP cap, but that's about all imo.. 

How do you halfway give them A's? Athletics starts with the letter A.

And the Angels started as the Los Angeles Angels in 1961. They didn't start using the Anaheim branding until '97 and have been Anaheim free since 2016.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I like the lower left version the best.  The top two run the risk of being mistaken for the Red Sox.

I would also argue that it actually makes sense for the Braves to use a B.  Not only have they changed cities several times in their existence, but (right or wrong) moving to Cobb County sets them up to be the team that represents the OTP area.    

On 4/28/2018 at 4:57 PM, woody86 said:

And then there's TC for Minnesota which I always found unique but strange.

1 hour ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

That's because they were supposed to be the Twin Cities Twins but the league nixed that. They didn't want to use an M logo (yet) and alienate St. Paul. So technically it is referring to the city/region

The fact that the new ballpark was built on the Minneapolis side of the river and the Minneapolis Millers were already playing there added to that perception.

I always wondered if they could have pulled off the name "Minneapolis Saints."

20 hours ago, SplashBoogie said:

How do you halfway give them A's? Athletics starts with the letter A.

And the Angels started as the Los Angeles Angels in 1961. They didn't start using the Anaheim branding until '97 and have been Anaheim free since 2016.

I halfway give you the A's, because it's the full colloquial nickname.. People actually call them the "A's" (Same with the O's), so it actually falls more in the same category as the Sox.. They're putting the entire shortened nickname on the cap, not just a single monogram letter initial..

For any of these teams to be a good example to support this rationale, they would have to have "A", "O", or "S" on their caps (Athletics, Orioles, Sox, respectively), or the concept should have "B's" on the cap.. 

I'll concede the Angels though.. Their first cap featured "LA" and was a clever masterpiece that never should've been replaced (until the location change).. I  actually forgot about the lowercase halo-a and the original capital halo-A.. I was thinking the winged-A from the Disney/Anaheim era was the first A-only cap, followed by the current.. So, I'll agree that the Angels set the precedent back in 71?, but it doesn't mean it should be done.. Chocolate with a team whose monogram/font/cap is so classic and ubiquitous, I think it's a bad one to dilute.. That's why the tomahawk was ok, because it used an image, rather than a monogram to convey the nickname (which is how it should be done anyway)..

2 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

If the hat looks good wear it. Baseball has enough written and unwritten rules as it is.

I like bottom left the best.

And not to make this even more not about  Hunt's concept, but it must be said: we on these boards are often too rigid and stifling of creativity. I get so frustrated with getting beaten over the head by yet another concept series that pays way too much homage to tradition and not enough credence to true design or original thought. And that's why I will stand by this silly 'B' situation...Hunt should be applauded for trying something so simple but yet so rarely (if at all) done. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:19 PM, HuntTheJones said:

I really like the direction you are headed. What if you tried it with the full "Braves" script. It's a little unorthodox, but maybe it would work. Great work. I like the top left option. 

Thanks for all of the comments! Like I said, this was all about just trying something new and different.  The idea really just came from the fact that the A on the hat is used as the A in the scripts on the road jersey, so why not try the B from the home jersey?  I had no idea that only the first letter of the city could be used on the cap.  Update coming soon.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, HuntTheJones said:

Thanks for all of the comments! Like I said, this was all about just trying something new and different.  The idea really just came from the fact that the A on the hat is used as the A in the scripts on the road jersey, so why not try the B from the home jersey?  I had no idea that only the first letter of the city could be used on the cap.  Update coming soon.

That's not always true.  The California Angels are the best example that it's not.  The Philadelphia Athletics also wore just an "A" until they moved to Kansas City.  I think a few Japanese teams also use their nickname instead of their city or corporate name.

Besides, your cap is a hypothetical alternate... very reasonable to use the B here.

Archived