Biggest lateral moves in sports history

MCM0313

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kaz said:

?

Saying that one lateral move is bigger than another lateral move is like saying the Browns have won 10 times as many Superbowls as the Lions.

I’ve been trying to think of a good analogy to discibe “most lateral” and i think this might be the best way to put it

The "most lateral" I can think of that I noticed was when the Seahawks went from arm stripes to the full bird head on the sleeves. Even then, I thought that was an improvement and better than anything they wear now, so maybe it wasn't lateral. Just the closest I could think of.

I'd call this a lateral move because they are both good-but-not-great uniforms.  Going primarily green was a welcome change, the all-star striping was not.  If I had to pick one, I'd go with the former but not by much.  The green is too dark to work properly with the striping configuration and gets lost in the black.

w0tuenP.jpg
Zzkj1CD.jpg

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I'd call this a lateral move because they are both good-but-not-great uniforms.  Going primarily green was a welcome change, the all-star striping was not.  If I had to pick one, I'd go with the former but not by much.  The green is too dark to work properly with the striping configuration and gets lost in the black.

How do you live every day with the knowledge of how wrong you are?

Anyway, actually on topic...

Image result for vancouver canucks 2006

Image result for vancouver canucks 2007

53Ocz8U.png

9 hours ago, WavePunter said:

In all seriousness, we're talking about the biggest changes that resulted in a lateral move, correct?

I think so.  Part of the confusion is that the title is just like the titles of the upgrade and downgrade threads, which are about the largest impact, regardless of the magnitude of the change.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

How do you live every day with the knowledge of how wrong you are?

You follow a statement like this with one of the most solid examples of an upgrade in the Edge era :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

You follow a statement like this with one of the most solid examples of an upgrade in the Edge era :rolleyes:

What they made up for in a color change, they ruined with generic striping, no green on the logo, and the unnecessary "VANCOUVER."

53Ocz8U.png

1 minute ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

What they made up for in a color change, they ruined with generic striping, no green on the logo, and the unnecessary "VANCOUVER."

Generic or traditional to hockey and Vancouver?

10 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I'll give you the VANCOUVER script and hell, I'll even admit the green-less Orca has overstayed its welcome.  But this so called "generic striping" is beautiful in its simplicity and has historical precedence.  No way was their 2007 re-brand just a lateral move.  The colours (that hadn't been seen full-time since 1992) alone brought the Canucks out of late 90's/early aughts purgatory and into an aesthetic renaissance.

6 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I'll give you the VANCOUVER script and hell, I'll even admit the green-less Orca has overstayed its welcome.  But this so called "generic striping" is beautiful in its simplicity and has historical precedence.  No way was their 2007 re-brand just a lateral move.  The colours (that hadn't been seen full-time since 1992) alone brought the Canucks out of late 90's/early aughts purgatory and into a aesthetic renaissance.

The colors hadn't been seen full-time since '92?  Did you mean '78?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The colors hadn't been seen full-time since '92?  Did you mean '78?

I meant that the Whalers essentially used the same colours, albeit in a different order of importance, until the 1992/93 season.

55 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I'll give you the VANCOUVER script and hell, I'll even admit the green-less Orca has overstayed its welcome.  But this so called "generic striping" is beautiful in its simplicity and has historical precedence.  No way was their 2007 re-brand just a lateral move.  The colours (that hadn't been seen full-time since 1992) alone brought the Canucks out of late 90's/early aughts purgatory and into a aesthetic renaissance.

Maybe I'm just clouded by my nostalgia for the early-mid '00s. Ah, well. I would like to see the '98-'07 set in the current colors, though.

53Ocz8U.png

On 4/30/2018 at 7:25 PM, SCalderwood said:

The green rainbows looked fine in the 80s but did not age well into the 90s.  And actually, on that note, I will give the Bucks credit for something - they don't tend to hold onto looks for longer than they should.  They almost seem to anticipate when fans are starting to get a little tired of their look, and then they give themselves a makeover.  And it's never really a huge upgrade or downgrade, it's usually a change that makes them look a little different, and then we get used to it (you usually don't hear people strongly applaud it or condemn it), and then 10 years later they come up with something new so that we don't forget that they exist.

I thought their purple look was fine.  It was appropriate for the time it came out, purple was a popular sports color around that time.  Would it have looked right in the 80s?  No.  Would it look right today?  No.  Did it look right when it came out?  Yes.  Not sure I understand the Power Rangers reference, I might be missing something there.  I also think the change to the head-on Bucks logo was fine, I don't really see how it's so much worse than the 80s Bucks logo.  NBA logos in the 90s got fiercer and more "in-your-face," I don't think that necessarily makes them better or worse but that's just the direction logos were headed in.  A smiling Buck spinning a basketball was not going to make it to today anyway, it might as well have died peacefully in the 90s like it did.

I could have dealt with the loss of the rainbows if they'd kept the double green colors.  Part of what made the rainbows so great is you immediately knew it was the Bucks on when you saw them on TV.  They'd also teased a return to them the entire final year in the Christmas unis, only to go with the current ones.

They could have brought it back and owned those colors.  Even tweaked them a bit and owned electric green the way the hawks own volt yellow. Instead we got unis that will be as expendable as the last... and the ones before that... and the ones before that. 

Archived