Uniform/jersey misunderstandings

smzimbabwe

I have had 2 incidents that I can think of over the years:

1. A lady asked me where I got my Oregon Ducks hat with the different, yet cool logo. I told her it was a UAA Seawolves hat, but she kept insisting it was the Ducks and she couldn't understand why I wouldn't confirm that. I told her I bought it in Anchorage, showed her that it said "Seawolves" on the back, yet, she still insisted that it was an Oregon Ducks hat and still was mad as I left that I wouldn't tell her where she could get one. (Apparently Anchorage was not the answer she wanted, we were in Portland, surely some place closer had that Ducks hat.)

2. I was wearing an All Blacks rugby jersey, someone got mad at me and said that a) all lives matter, not just blacks and B) I was (and still am) white, what's my angle for supporting and speaking for all blacks? I tried to explain that "All Blacks" was the name of the New Zealand rugby team and that's what it referenced, but he said that was an excuse and where did I come off thinking I spoke for all blacks?

3. My purple UW jersey has been mistaken for a Minnesota Vikings jersey multiple times. I will be in the grocery store, someone will say "Hey, a Vikiings fan" and I'll politely explain to them that it's the Huskies, and I really don't care one way or the other about the Vikings.

Has anyone else suffered through incidents like this? Where people seriously misunderstood your gear like this. They thought it was one team, or something completely unrelated to sports, when it was something completely different? 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

1. A lady asked me where I got my Oregon Ducks hat with the different, yet cool logo. I told her it was a UAA Seawolves hat, but she kept insisting it was the Ducks and she couldn't understand why I wouldn't confirm that. I told her I bought it in Anchorage, showed her that it said "Seawolves" on the back, yet, she still insisted that it was an Oregon Ducks hat and still was mad as I left that I wouldn't tell her where she could get one. (Apparently Anchorage was not the answer she wanted, we were in Portland, surely some place closer had that Ducks hat.)

2. I was wearing an All Blacks rugby jersey, someone got mad at me and said that a) all lives matter, not just blacks and B) I was (and still am) white, what's my angle for supporting and speaking for all blacks? I tried to explain that "All Blacks" was the name of the New Zealand rugby team and that's what it referenced, but he said that was an excuse and where did I come off thinking I spoke for all blacks?

3. My purple UW jersey has been mistaken for a Minnesota Vikings jersey multiple times. I will be in the grocery store, someone will say "Hey, a Vikiings fan" and I'll politely explain to them that it's the Huskies, and I really don't care one way or the other about the Vikings.

Has anyone else suffered through incidents like this? Where people seriously misunderstood your gear like this. They thought it was one team, or something completely unrelated to sports, when it was something completely different? 

You're doing something wrong in your life if you have this many confrontations over sports-logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

To be fair, the all blacks jersey should NEVER be worn. Ever. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

similarly, I was wearing an all blacks shirt and someone stopped me at the target and said "hey I like your shirt! love rugby" and I said "yeah! Go Blacks!" trying to shorten the name like you'd shorten Fighting Irish to Irish etc. I just walked away awkwardly. 

edit: not to get the topic off sports logos at all-I totally get the ignorance of someone seeing a jersey or shirt that says "All Blacks" here in America and thinking it means something different. but why argue over it? white guys wearing all blacks shirts or jerseys are not making a statement that "african americans are better!" 

I was in NYC a couple years ago wearing a Philadelphia Eagles jacket (black jacket with small logo on the chest and wordmark across the back) while walking through Times Square. Some old guy stopped me to ask what university I went to and I explained to him that I wasn’t a student anymore. He asked if I went to *insert American college I’d never heard of* and I said no and told him I was Canadian. He was confused because the university he went to had a team called the Eagles and was sure that’s what my jacket was representing. I told him it was the Philadelphia Eagles and he looked at me as if he had never heard of them or the NFL. 

Oh, I thought of another one... I was in high school when throwback jerseys were really taking off. One day I was wearing the jersey pictured below:

eLVvzCl.jpg

Some kid who I went to school with (who pretended to be Irish and put on a fake accent for three years even though his older sister went to the same school and had no such accent) asked me why I always wore jerseys all the time. He followed that up with "Nobody's gonna think you're Shaquille O'Neal if you're wearing that." I just gave him a chuckle and said "I wouldn't expect them to."

I have a throwback Mud Hens hat that's like the one Jamie Farr wore on M.A.S.H., and I've had people outside the Toledo area mistake it for an old Texas Rangers hat. To be fair, they are nearly identical except for the shade of blue.

When I was in grade school, we were encouraged to wear Ohio State and Michigan stuff on the Friday before the game. Since I am a Notre Dame fan, I would wear my ND stuff. Around fifth grade or so, I wore my Notre Dame home jersey, and OSU fans would say to me, "Michigan sucks!", and I'd say, "Uhh, yeah, this is a Notre Dame jersey." This was coming from people that routinely misidentify their own team as "Ohio." After having enough of that nonsense, all of my ND stuff has been almost exclusively kelly green.

spacer.png

I guess I have two:

• When the T-Wolves came out with their first Wolf Among the Trees logo, I bought a T-shirt.  At a bar in Madison, a friend thought it was the independent minor league Madison Black Wolf.
  • When I was a kid in the 1980s, the local Dairy Queen sold sundaes in MLB helmets and I was trying to collect  as many as I could.  So I get up the the window and order my sundae asking which teams are available.  The young woman behind the counter looks down and starts naming teams, including the Cardinals.  I did not have the Cardinals yet, so I asked for that one.  She makes the sundae and pushes it across to me and it's the Reds, which I already had.  I was kinda upset (you know, since I still remember it like 30 years later) but did not say anything.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

31 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I guess I have two:

• When the T-Wolves came out with their first Wolf Among the Trees logo, I bought a T-shirt.  At a bar in Madison, a friend thought it was the independent minor league Madison Black Wolf.
  • When I was a kid in the 1980s, the local Dairy Queen sold sundaes in MLB helmets and I was trying to collect  as many as I could.  So I get up the the window and order my sundae asking which teams are available.  The young woman behind the counter looks down and starts naming teams, including the Cardinals.  I did not have the Cardinals yet, so I asked for that one.  She makes the sundae and pushes it across to me and it's the Reds, which I already had.  I was kinda upset (you know, since I still remember it like 30 years later) but did not say anything.

The exact same thing happened to me, only I asked for the Marlins and instead received the Mariners, which I already had. I'm still upset.

I got yelled at at HEB in Texas for wearing a 70s Summit Series Soviet Union jersey.

Not really a misconception, but a guy just really upset that I'd wear such a thing.

Also, every single Troy Trojans thing I own (my Alma Mater) is regularly called Tennessee Titans stuff. By everyone. Even my kids, who went to my graduation. 

4 hours ago, burgundy said:

I have a throwback Mud Hens hat that's like the one Jamie Farr wore on M.A.S.H., and I've had people outside the Toledo area mistake it for an old Texas Rangers hat. To be fair, they are nearly identical except for the shade of blue.

When I was in grade school, we were encouraged to wear Ohio State and Michigan stuff on the Friday before the game. Since I am a Notre Dame fan, I would wear my ND stuff. Around fifth grade or so, I wore my Notre Dame home jersey, and OSU fans would say to me, "Michigan sucks!", and I'd say, "Uhh, yeah, this is a Notre Dame jersey." This was coming from people that routinely misidentify their own team as "Ohio." After having enough of that nonsense, all of my ND stuff has been almost exclusively kelly green.

Similar story, in my elementary school we would have college day, and I would always wear Baylor (pre rg111, fixer upper) and people would never know what it was. It was either UT, A&M, OU, or TCU. My occasional Oklahoma state (grandma and grandpa) was also not recognized. 

Excellent!

I have an Arkansas State baseball cap that has been mistaken for Arizona State when I've gone out West. 

More importantly, I have an Adidas Arkansas State shirt that says "Put in work" on it, with the "Put in" in gigantic letters kind of close together. Almost every time I've worn it I've had people give me funny looks or even ask me if me shirt says "Putin." Needless to say, I pretty much never wear that shirt in public anymore. 

7 hours ago, insert name said:

I wear an Army Black Knights hat but ever since the Golden Knights, people think it's the hockey team. 

Is it too late to file an amicus brief?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, ColeJ said:

I got yelled at at HEB in Texas for wearing a 70s Summit Series Soviet Union jersey.

Not really a misconception, but a guy just really upset that I'd wear such a thing.

Also, every single Troy Trojans thing I own (my Alma Mater) is regularly called Tennessee Titans stuff. By everyone. Even my kids, who went to my graduation. 

I used to think that Soviet-era sports stuff made for cool throwbacks, until I started traveling to some of the former SSRs and saw first hand the results of the Soviet occupation and learned more about the heinous things they did to essentially their own people.  After that, I kinda put them in the same category as the Nazis, and just like I'd never wear a swastica in any context, I'd now never wear a hammer/sickle in even an ironic or nostalgic or joking manner either.

I wouldn't give anyone :censored: for it, but you need to understand that it's a very serious thing to a lot of people, even if not for most in the States.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For years growing up, folks would mistake my Alabama caps for Braves caps (I moved to SC from AL when I was 10, so people were more familiar with the closest major League baseball team than a college 2 states over - although it hasn't happened much in the past 8-10 years though ?..

Also, people frequently mistake my alma mater gear (Newberry College) for Nebraska gear, because until about 6 or 7 years ago, we historically used a variety of block-N's..

4 hours ago, ColeJ said:

First, very few people outside of Texas even know what H-E-B is. ? (The only reason I even know what it is is because one actually exists up in Des Moines IA, where I was once based...rememeber the Big Black Peterbilt??)

And second, since we're talking about Tennessee...I'm like this big ginormous Florida State fan, right? I wear my Seminoles gear like all the time...and if I had a dollar for every time someone around here saw that and asked me if I'm a Redskins fan...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 minutes ago, Buc said:

First, very few people outside of Texas even know what H-E-B is. ? (The only reason I even know what it is is because one actually exists up in Des Moines IA, where I was once based...rememeber the Big Black Peterbilt??)

And second, since we're talking about Tennessee...I'm like this big ginormous Florida State fan, right? I wear my Seminoles gear like all the time...and if I had a dollar for every time someone around here saw that and asked me if I'm a Redskins fan...

That's some CCSLC nostalgia right there

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived