Uniform/jersey misunderstandings

smzimbabwe

One time I wore a Cubs hat in Bridgeport and a guy called me a f-cking f-ggot.  Classic misunderstanding: I'm not gay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

One time I wore a Cubs hat in Bridgeport and a guy called me a f-cking f-ggot.  Classic misunderstanding: I'm not gay.

Reminds me of when I wore Arkansas State gear in Memphis and somebody called me a f***ing loser. He was right, but there's no way he could have known that.

A Starbucks barista in Seattle jokingly said "I can't serve you if you're wearing that hat". Very confused I said "you have a problem with the Columbus Blue Jackets???" Nobody has a problem with the Columbus Blue Jackets, much less someone in Seattle. You see, she thought it was a Patriots hat and the Seahawks were about to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl. 

That's my only sports logo related misunderstanding. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

This reminds me, a friend of mine dated a girl who thought that Hawaii ripped off a local high school's logo, rather than the other way around. 

I've wanted teams to go with DC since the day I learned of the existence of DC United. I don't find it confusing like I did when I was like 6 years old, I just like the sound of it. 

Great, another opportunity to talk about the name of the place I'm from! Let's remember, Washington is a city. The District of Columbia is a US federal district. It's just important to keep in mind these distinctions because the federal district used to be comprised of more than just the city of Washington. The federal district was a big box that contained Washington City, Georgetown, Alexandria City, and Alexandria County. Eventually, some of that land was returned to Maryland and the rest was incorporated into one municipality, "Washington," a city, which is exactly aligned with the "Columbia," a district.

I mean, technically Columbia Nationals would work. We refer to the Commonwealth of Virginia as "Virginia" so why don't we refer to the District of Columbia as Columbia? State of Alaska as Alaska, etc. Obviously there are a bunch of good reasons we don't do that with DC, but technically "DC Nationals" would be like "SM Twins" or something.

A good solution? Give the 700,000 American citizens living in Washington, D.C. the full rights we deserve via statehood. Name it the Douglass Commonwealth. Douglass Nationals. Douglass Capitals. Douglass Wizards. Washington, D.C., the 51st state.

NFL team should be renamed the Washingtonians. 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

3 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Great, another opportunity to talk about the name of the place I'm from! Let's remember, Washington is a city. The District of Columbia is a US federal district. It's just important to keep in mind these distinctions because the federal district used to be comprised of more than just the city of Washington. The federal district was a big box that contained Washington City, Georgetown, Alexandria City, and Alexandria County. Eventually, some of that land was returned to Maryland and the rest was incorporated into one municipality, "Washington," a city, which is exactly aligned with the "Columbia," a district.

I mean, technically Columbia Nationals would work. We refer to the Commonwealth of Virginia as "Virginia" so why don't we refer to the District of Columbia as Columbia? State of Alaska as Alaska, etc. Obviously there are a bunch of good reasons we don't do that with DC, but technically "DC Nationals" would be like "SM Twins" or something.

A good solution? Give the 700,000 American citizens living in Washington, D.C. the full rights we deserve via statehood. Name it the Douglass Commonwealth. Douglass Nationals. Douglass Capitals. Douglass Wizards. Washington, D.C., the 51st state.

NFL team should be renamed the Washingtonians. 

I thought the land was returned to Virginia..? Or is that also true, but not related to what you posted?  Also, I find it both extremely unique and extremely interesting that a US city can be without its US rights.. Weirdly, it makes sense to me that a federal district would be handled differently, but a city should be handled normally.. It's also weird to me that a US city isn't part of a US state (again, the federal district thing makes enough sense).. It's just interesting how that's all handed (considering the way things are officially classified)..

32 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I thought the land was returned to Virginia..? Or is that also true, but not related to what you posted?  Also, I find it both extremely unique and extremely interesting that a US city can be without its US rights.. Weirdly, it makes sense to me that a federal district would be handled differently, but a city should be handled normally.. It's also weird to me that a US city isn't part of a US state (again, the federal district thing makes enough sense).. It's just interesting how that's all handed (considering the way things are officially classified)..

Some of the land was returned to Virginia in 1846. Yep, it's all fascinating and totally unjust.

potd 10/20/12

I wish it hadn't been. For the sake of symmetry, I like the idea of the District being a perfect 10x10 diamond. And they should have a voting member of the House but no Senators. Compromise.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I wish it hadn't been. For the sake of symmetry, I like the idea of the District being a perfect 10x10 diamond. And they should have a voting member of the House but no Senators. Compromise.

I'm a 22-year-old American citizen. I deserve the same level of representation afforded to everyone else. You shouldn't compromise on something as fundamental as voting rights.

Did the colonies "compromise" with the British in 1776?!?

An actually fair compromise would be to shrink the District and create a new state. And repeal the 23rd Amendment, obviously.

potd 10/20/12

2 hours ago, DeFrank said:

I'm a 22-year-old American citizen. I deserve the same level of representation afforded to everyone else. You shouldn't compromise on something as fundamental as voting rights.

Did the colonies "compromise" with the British in 1776?!?

An actually fair compromise would be to shrink the District and create a new state. And repeal the 23rd Amendment, obviously.

Isn't the 23rd amendment essentially granting you the same representation afforded to everyone else? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

45 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Isn't the 23rd amendment essentially granting you the same representation afforded to everyone else? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

23rd gives DC as many electoral votes as the least populous state (3) no matter it’s population. So, no, but yes it’s  better than nothing.

point of repealing is that if you shrank DC to just the Mall area and created a new state the 23rd amendment would give... 3 electoral votes to... like 50 people including the people who live in the White House. It’s just a practical thing if you go the statehood route.

potd 10/20/12

9 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Some of the land was returned to Virginia in 1846. Yep, it's all fascinating and totally unjust.

I don't think I've ever seen "Washington County" on a map of the District before.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I owned a Charlestown Chiefs (from Slap Shot) hockey jersey as a kid, but had never seen the movie.

A case of double mistaken identity here, though, as the guy in the hockey shop sold it to me as a "Spokane Chiefs" jersey of the Western Hockey League.

My friends all thought I had a mis-colored Kansas City Chiefs fashion hockey jersey.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Does this count? Even though I know the Under Armour logo is an interlocking UA my mind still reads it as an H every single time. I hate that logo.

My favorite thing about the Under Armour logo is that Auburn University is forced to wear UA on their uniforms.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I'd gone over to my local community college to see about enrolling and take an assessment test (I wound up not following through due to still owing UWW money, iirc), and had worn a green and white Packers cap.  Instead of the G, this one has the old Heisman on one of the front panels, and the NFC logo on the other.  Naturally, the lady who gave me the test complimented my Notre Dame cap :D 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

11 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

My favorite thing about the Under Armour logo is that Auburn University is forced to wear UA on their uniforms.

What do you mean when you say forced? They could switch to Nike tomorrow if they bought out there contract. Even if you mean their logo being a “UA” no one is going to confuse it with Under Armors.

23 minutes ago, dont care said:

What do you mean when you say forced? They could switch to Nike tomorrow if they bought out there contract. Even if you mean their logo being a “UA” no one is going to confuse it with Under Armors.

I think he means that under the current stipulations of the contract, Auburn is still under contract with UA, and therefore, must compete in uniforms bearing the initials of their biggest rival..

Archived