Chicago Dogs Independent League Baseball Concept (Update 5/6)

coco1997

Ahead of the independent league baseball Chicago Dogs' inaugural season, I decided to try my hand at what their uniforms might look like:

HOME:

Chicago_Dogs_Home.png

ROAD:

Chicago_Dogs_Road_Final.png

The designs are informed by the team's previously unveiled logo, a roundel featuring a hot dog set against a baseball in the Chicago flag colors of sky blue and red. It's a really solid logo, but it didn't really work well as a jersey logo, so I rotated it on its side, which solved the problem. The home jersey is pinstriped, as are the home unis of both Major League Chicago teams, and the road set is powder blue with red pinstripes and uses the Cubs' 1958-68 road wordmark. I also used a recolored version of the Angels' Disney era numbers, which seemed to work well here. 

C&C appreciated! The season begins in less than a month, so I'm expecting an official unveiling of the Dogs' uniforms any day now. It'll be interesting to see how close (or far off) I came to predicting the uniforms. ;) 

Not terrible.  But these feel a little uninspired.  And the number font seems to clash with your wordmark.

Either way, I love the Chicago Dogs identity.  Hope they look good getting pounded by the new club from Milwaukee County. :D

Just now, NicDB said:

Not terrible.  But these feel a little uninspired.  And the number font seems to clash with your wordmark.

Either way, I love the Chicago Dogs identity.  Hope they look good getting pounded by the new club from Milwaukee County. :D

Thanks for the feedback. Aside from not liking the numbers, what else would you do differently?

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

When did they announce a team in Milwaukee?

It's Me

3 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

TBH, your concept has a MLB look to it.  This just screams "independent league."

Thanks! One thing I do like are the six-pointed stars on the sleeves. I think I'll try that out on my concept. 

3 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

TBH, your concept has a MLB look to it.  This just screams "independent league."

This.  What they actually went with barely looks like a baseball uniform and could have only maybe been pulled off in the pullover era.  The color balance on the homes in particular is pretty wonky.

At least your concept stayed reasonably within traditional baseball uniform parameters.

18 hours ago, NicDB said:

This.  What they actually went with barely looks like a baseball uniform and could have only maybe been pulled off in the pullover era.  The color balance on the homes in particular is pretty wonky.

At least your concept stayed reasonably within traditional baseball uniform parameters.

22 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I've gone back and made a few tweaks to my original designs:

Chicago_Dogs_w_Numbers.png

Chicago_Dogs_Road_w_Numbers.png

The biggest change is that I used the Dogs' actual wordmarks for the jerseys. I also eliminated the inner outline on the numbers and added front numbers and a sleeve patch.

C&C appreciated! 

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like the updated script a lot. My one change would be to switch the pins on the road from red to white but that's just my preference. 

Do you think the uniforms would look better with or without front numbers?

On 5/3/2018 at 9:55 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like the updated script a lot. My one change would be to switch the pins on the road from red to white but that's just my preference. 

Here is the road set with white pinstripes instead of red. Better?

Chicago_Dogs_Road_w_Numbers_white_stripe

Archived