Dboi2001

Seahawks old logo vs new logo

Recommended Posts

I liked the update when it first showed up, but since then I've gotten kind of tired of it.  I agree with pretty much everything Icecap said. I miss the more direct connection to northwest Indian art and the idea that logos need to look intimidating is pretty silly, and ultimately kind of embarrassing.

 

More than anything else, though, I miss those colors.  Royal blue and kelly green is my favorite sports color scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer a green bottom streak on the current logo. That's my personal taste. The first logo has a funny eye. I also prefer the current blue over the original blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the more aggressive logo but I also like the old colors. I did a quick color change a while back and I think it looks great. 

CaptureOLDNEWseahawks.PNG.3b14662077b1e292e41d8f430171869e.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lilben777 said:

I like the middle one, if for only the shade of “ cobalt” blue that was the primary color of the home jersey. 

I’m with you.  I loved that look.

 

The original logo was brilliant but I think the updated logo was appropriate.  The original looks a bit clunky / dated to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original feels like lazy, shallow re-appropriation of native art. I strongly prefer the modernized version, which captures the essence of the original while adding some much-needed polish & modern functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

The original feels like lazy, shallow re-appropriation of native art. I strongly prefer the modernized version, which captures the essence of the original while adding some much-needed polish & modern functionality.

 

spot on. i think the current Seahawks logo is one of the very best in all of sports. it has that unmistakable Native PNW style, a more unique color palette, and the boldness of the lines and shapes works better as a logo. meaning when you shrink it down or embroider it, it doesn't collapse on itself. its simpler, more iconic, everything feels like it was carefully considered instead of copied from a photograph. all that just makes it better, but there's also this forward motion and sense of speed to it that i really like where the original is so static. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insert name said:

I like the more aggressive logo but I also like the old colors. I did a quick color change a while back and I think it looks great. 

CaptureOLDNEWseahawks.PNG.3b14662077b1e292e41d8f430171869e.PNG

This logo is close to perfect for me.. I agree with everything C-squared and Brandon said.. The modern version maintains enough of the PNW art that inspired the original, but in a cleaner, more appropriate package..

I can appreciate Ice Cap's stance regarding the kitsch and whimsy that has been steadily flushed from professional sports, but at the same time, there's something that feels unprofessional (at least to me) about that sort of stuff.. Idk.. I guess in my mind, I just expect multi-billion dollar organizations to have (and use) the latest cutting-edge technology in all aspects of operation.. The discussion came up regarding the Phillies "P" on their caps before, and I feel the same way about that.. With computers and design programs, etc, I just feel like these things should be better composed and more precisely rendered, etc.. Those are my reasons for preferring the newer version, but I can certainly understand those who prefer the older one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the current - especially in the classic colors - is a nearly-perfect sports logo.  The only thing holding it back from true perfection is it's horizontalness, and what that does to it when it's shrunk down.

 

It's fierce without looking cartoony and overly-menacing, it's dynamic, has bold color blocks, passes the book-cover test, and captures the spirit of the original - especially the part of the beak under the eye - perfectly.  I think it's up there - if not better - than the Cardinals logo update.

 

I do like the classic too, and it's hard for me to take much away from it, but I agree with above that it's a little too literal, and the slight tweaks (especially the eye) make the updated one clearly a sports logo (vs a regional symbol) while capturing everything that the classic was trying to convey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, insert name said:

I like the more aggressive logo but I also like the old colors. I did a quick color change a while back and I think it looks great. 

CaptureOLDNEWseahawks.PNG.3b14662077b1e292e41d8f430171869e.PNG

 

This is sheer perfection. The old color scheme was far superior to the muddled, drab colors they have now, but the current logo is incredibly well-designed. I always hated the "tail end" of the classic logo, and how it just cuts off. Always looked like something was missing or incomplete in that logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I’m of the opinion that something doesn’t need to look intimidating to work as a sports logo. I view the original Seahawks logo much like I view the original Dolphins logo. 

An accurate reflection of the area’s art style, warts and all. They both have a bit of kitsch and whimsy that, in my opinion, are lacking from the NFL these days. 

 

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

And that’s why I prefer the original.  That and the bright color scheme. 

 

The updates are all trying too hard to be tough and “kewl”.  The harder they strain, the less effective they are. 

 

Forced aggression aside, I actually think the new one more closely follows the formline principles of northwest art. The eye of the old mark, in particular, seems inauthentic to the style. It should be built of a shape within a shape (as the mask it’s inspired by illustrates very well) rather than built out of lines. The finely tapered details and ovoid shapes in the eye area of the new one are also more indicative of the style.

 

The other aspect of the old logo that makes me uncomfortable is that it’s a direct rip of a piece of physical artwork, which seems to cross an ethical line. The new one is much more interpretive; a piece of native art as seen through the lens of sports design, which I find both interesting and appropriate. It also doesn’t hurt that it’s extremely well crafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, insert name said:

 

CaptureOLDNEWseahawks.PNG.3b14662077b1e292e41d8f430171869e.PNG

 

Yes please.

 

I love the updated logo from 2002, but the double blue grew old for me. I like the current logo, but I absolutely love the original colors. This is a perfect marriage of old and new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current logo with the classic colors is great. I would love to see this change. But the navy and action green aren't going anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think the current - especially in the classic colors - is a nearly-perfect sports logo.  The only thing holding it back from true perfection is it's horizontalness, and what that does to it when it's shrunk down.

 

It's fierce without looking cartoony and overly-menacing, it's dynamic, has bold color blocks, passes the book-cover test, and captures the spirit of the original - especially the part of the beak under the eye - perfectly.  I think it's up there - if not better - than the Cardinals logo update.

 

I do like the classic too, and it's hard for me to take much away from it, but I agree with above that it's a little too literal, and the slight tweaks (especially the eye) make the updated one clearly a sports logo (vs a regional symbol) while capturing everything that the classic was trying to convey.

 

10 hours ago, kroywen said:

This is sheer perfection. The old color scheme was far superior to the muddled, drab colors they have now, but the current logo is incredibly well-designed. I always hated the "tail end" of the classic logo, and how it just cuts off. Always looked like something was missing or incomplete in that logo.

 

Ditto to both of these, particularly the bolded parts.  In particular, my primary criticism of the original is that it always looked unfinished because it just ended on the left side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a joke about how y'all would :censored: yourself if they brought the colors back, and no one laughed....

U7DnM6g.png

(Shameless plug for a dead thread is shameless)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as much as i like the current colors, i think i'd actually like to split the difference— current blue + kelly green

 

lbHUIJG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

I made a joke about how y'all would :censored: yourself if they brought the colors back, and no one laughed....

U7DnM6g.png

(Shameless plug for a dead thread is shameless)

Why don’t they do this? It is near perfect! The blue and green work great in here, and this scheme IS the best Pacific Northwest logo combo. The uniform works so well. Why insist on the highlighter “action” nike neon green? This is great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mid2000's logo is my favorite.

 

Reasons:

1. The way the original terminates on the left side has always bothered me. It's very clunky. They just cut it off so it ends abruptly forming a harsh rectangle shape and lacks motion. I like how they addressed this in the updates which gives it some movement. 

2. the original is based on northwest tribal art, but there's a lot going on in the eyeyball beak area with a lot of small lines. I think the new logo does a better job of referencing the influence without going overboard on the details. I admire the the new logo for how they cleaned those areas up without losing the essence of the logo or where it originates from. You can still tell it's totem pole influenced, but it works much better as a sports logo. 

 

The new one gets bonus points too because they finally fixed the back of the helmet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now