Stetson University Unveils New Athletic Logo

GriffinM6

Last night, the college I attend unveiled a new athletic logo. Here is the old and new one-side by-side. 

Related imageDcPYbNcVQAEKPf0.jpg:large

I must say I'm not a huge fan. The logo is way too pointy. Hats aren't supposed to be intimidating. This also immediately reminded me of Sacramento State's logo. 

Let's discuss.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I think it's making the most out of a difficult situation. Upgrade from the clipart hat and uber-bevel look that they had.

I can't help but seeing the hat brim as an ocean wave when i first see it. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I feel like it is too visually confusing. At first glance it looks like a wave or some weird monogram that has an S. It takes too much effort make out the hat, probably because it is at a weird, awkward angle. The press release said that the redesign attempted to distance the school from a "Texas" aesthetic, but I don't think this is the way to do it. I also don't know what to think of the dual green yet.

Is it an upgrade? From a modernization standpoint, yes, but from an execution standpoint, no.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I like it better when it's not on a black background. The negative space of the hat in the "S" works a lot better.

Go_Hatters_new_logo_graphic.png

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

It's clever and pretty well-designed overall, but I almost feel like it's too edgy for Stetson. With a name like Hatters, I feel like you almost are obligated to play it a bit more fun than what they went with here. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, henburg said:

It's clever and pretty well-designed overall, but I almost feel like it's too edgy for Stetson. With a name like Hatters, I feel like you almost are obligated to play it a bit more fun than what they went with here. 

Disagree with both points.

The brim doesn't look like it goes with the rest of the hat, and since it's the same color as the S, it looks like it's just some really-awkward design element that actually ruins the entire shape of the S, since it's creating jagged points at it's most critical part.  If you didn't know it was a hat, it's certainly not obvious that's what it is.  Hell, if you didn't know it was an S, there's a good chance many people would mistake that too.

I think it's trying to be too clever, and it's very poorly designed since by trying to cleverly work both an S and a hat in there, they managed to make both unrecognizeable.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Eh, I think it’s really trying too hard. It’s a bit too sharp all around and overly modern for modern’s sake.

Honestly, they were onto something two logos ago. Just clean it up and you’ve got it:

21222_full.jpg

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Eh, I think it’s really trying too hard. It’s a bit too sharp all around and overly modern for modern’s sake.

Honestly, they were onto something two logos ago. Just clean it up and you’ve got it:

21222_full.jpg

Hey, you guys remember that episode where Michigan State guest starred on Gunsmoke? 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Disagree with both points.

The brim doesn't look like it goes with the rest of the hat, and since it's the same color as the S, it looks like it's just some really-awkward design element that actually ruins the entire shape of the S, since it's creating jagged points at it's most critical part.  If you didn't know it was a hat, it's certainly not obvious that's what it is.  Hell, if you didn't know it was an S, there's a good chance many people would mistake that too.

I think it's trying to be too clever, and it's very poorly designed since by trying to cleverly work both an S and a hat in there, they managed to make both unrecognizeable.

I see the dark area as the underbrim of the hat, which is in the shadow area and thus, darker than the top. The dark underbrim is also what completes the S. Without it, the entire thing would fall apart. I also think it’s very easily recognizable as both an S and a hat, so I don’t see much common ground on this one. :lol:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

45 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I see the dark area as the underbrim of the hat, which is in the shadow area and thus, darker than the top. The dark underbrim is also what completes the S. Without it, the entire thing would fall apart. I also think it’s very easily recognizable as both an S and a hat, so I don’t see much common ground on this one. :lol:

I think it's recognizable as an "S" and a "hat" because you know that that's what's supposed to be there. Think of it like when you read what "Stairway To Heaven" is supposed to say when you listen to it backwards. You don't hear it at first, but when you read the lyrics and listen after having read it, you hear it more easily because you're expecting to hear that.

I think that they should've worked off of the logo from two logos ago and updated that. The previous logo was too "Phoenix Design Works" over-detailed, and this one is trying way too hard to be clever and misses the mark.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Yeah, this one is trying too hard...I love logos that use negative space well, but that hat looks forced in there.

Much like Stetson's most famous alum Ray Finkle, this logo design missed wide right.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Archived