Lost Sports Logos?

PowderedWater

Hey everybody.

I’ve been thinking about this for only about a minute but it really fascinates me.

The concept of lost media is both utterly simple and endlessly complicated. Recent notable cases of found lost media include “Sally”, the infamous “Clockman” cartoon that spooked many an 80s child, but in reality is just an average visit from your uncle Trevor (you know the one, wears a banana yellow tuxedo with a Slipknot t-shirt to funerals); the lost sequel to “You on Kazoo!”; and “A Day with Spongebob Squarepants”, which never existed.

I saw a comment on Chris Creamer’s new infographic, If Sports Teams Couldn’t Chane Their Logos, proposing that the original Philadelphia Flyers logo has been lost to time.

The only other example that comes to mind is also from the NHL, which is any Hamilton Tigers logo, except for old, damaged photographs.

Does anyone else know about any phantom logos? Maybe we can uncover them.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

LA chargers logo a la 2 years ago?

Eh, I don't think anything in the social media era qualifies.

This would be more like the proposed 70s Patriots logo that was only discovered a few years ago.

Arthur Griffiths, the original owner of the Vancouver Grizzlies, wanted to name the team Mounties, but couldn't due to licensing reasons with the RCMP.  This was just a proposed logo.

DTYadQlWsAAX99l.jpg

18 hours ago, NicDB said:

Eh, I don't think anything in the social media era qualifies.

This would be more like the proposed 70s Patriots logo that was only discovered a few years ago.

Ah, the perfect example. I actually kind of like that logo!

Speaking of lost logos, when the Orlando Solar Bears came back a few years ago they had a logo that I’ve only ever seen during their first announcement. It was a top down view of a polar bear head, the bear was swimming and positioned like you would expect an alligator to be. I thought it was a really unique use of the name and mascot animal tied in to a look the home fans would be familiar with. 

5 hours ago, DnBronc said:

how is that a lost logo?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This topic is a little confusing? What constitutes a lost logo? Is it a proposed logo? An unused logo? A logo used for a day, a month or even a year? (You sang that didn’t you?)

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 5/5/2018 at 7:39 PM, kimball said:

This topic is a little confusing? What constitutes a lost logo? Is it a proposed logo? An unused logo? A logo used for a day, a month or even a year? (You sang that didn’t you?)

Like Berenstain Bears Mandela Effect, I-swear-this-exists-but-can't-readily-find-proof level of obscure

7 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Like Berenstain Bears Mandala Effect, I-swear-this-exists-but-can't-readily-find-proof level of obscure

Exactly, but I lost thimk the definition could include logos that may be partially seen in old and damaged pics.

12 minutes ago, PowderedWater said:

It’s not?

It's been visible to anyone who ever wanted to view it since internet search engines first existed.  Not exactly a secret.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived