Lost Sports Logos?

PowderedWater

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so not "lost", just "short lived".  Got it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There really aren’t any lost logos anymore, not in this age where every announcement is instantly disseminated across the world and preserved for posterity. 

We can’t really have anything like the Brewers’ aborted 1970 uniform, that was forgotten shortly thereafter. 

1970_BrewersJerseyPrototype.jpg

I’d wager that most Brewers fans are still unaware of this one.  That’s a lost logo, and it really can’t happen today. 

49 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

There really aren’t any lost logos anymore, not in this age where every announcement is instantly disseminated across the world and preserved for posterity. 

We can’t really have anything like the Brewers’ aborted 1970 uniform, that was forgotten shortly thereafter. 

I’d wager that most Brewers fans are still unaware of this one.  That’s a lost logo, and it really can’t happen today. 

I know why they couldn't wear these in 1970, but I really wish they would have worn these in 1971.  The Tuscan lettering suits the Brewers well.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Right, but historically there have been “lost logos”. The Patriots logo they trotted out during halftime In the 70s or 80s was a perfect example. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Right, but historically there have been “lost logos”. The Patriots logo they trotted out during halftime In the 70s or 80s was a perfect example. 

Exactly. I’ll provide an example of a logo without much evidence and is heavily obscured.

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I’m talking about trying to uncoverGrowling-Tiger.pngsomething like this...

Prowling-Tiger.pngor even this! Good grief...doubt we’ll ever see the full version (not the recreation) of this.

I've seen that sweatshirt before, but never looked past "BALTIMORE BROWNS".  What the F is "CHILL" for?  Who the hell designs something that dumb?

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've seen that sweatshirt before, but never looked past "BALTIMORE BROWNS".  What the F is "CHILL" for?  Who the hell designs something that dumb?

Wasn't CHILL a fashion line for the NFL in the 90s?

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

As @Gothamite has written in the past, it's one of three prototypes. Here are the other two:

MilwJournal_NewBrewerUniforms_1apr1970.jpg 33400315650_5c5da9dfb1_o.png

Of course, there are also logos that get lost when relocations fall through, such as the (ugh) "Tampa Bay Giants" redesign:

PGS0lPo.pngScreenShot2011-11-10at015600AM-1.png

The wordmark on the far left wouldn't be bad for the Rays, given the similarity to their current font.

Archived