Lost Sports Logos?

PowderedWater

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

As @Gothamite has written in the past, it's one of three prototypes. Here are the other two:

MilwJournal_NewBrewerUniforms_1apr1970.jpg 33400315650_5c5da9dfb1_o.png

I have photos of at least two more early Brewers prototypes that I hope to be able to share at some point.  The Brewers were really exploring options back in those early days. 

In 2001 the Omaha Golden Spikes were considering returning to the Omaha Royals name (and did so in 2002) and there was an article in the local paper that showed 3 or 4 possible logo options for the new Royals. They were printed in color and all featured the traditional blue and yellow color scheme. One was the logo they ended up using (a fairly generic "Royals" in front of an O) and one featured a lion. I don't recall the other options and I've never been able to find anything about this. I've been searching for years but can't find anything.

15 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

This is '90s as hell, but good God I love this. I guess Sterling was too cheap to do this, too.

14158878168_b0e74b2498_b.jpg

Man, it would be such an upgrade if they would adopt that logo with an updated color scheme. I mean you can't even see Los Angeles in there but that can be easily fixed.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

14 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Man, it would be such an upgrade if they would adopt that logo with an updated color scheme. I mean you can't even see Los Angeles in there but that can be easily fixed.

Now that I'm looking at it more closely, the Clippers font there looks VERY close to the font they have now...

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Alright, it’s time I make it clear: a “standard” lost sports logo is a logo seen incompletely (photos, videos, recollections, etc.) but with no definitive clear or complete version of the logo. An uncovered unused logo can also be a lost logo.

Personally, I like the former because you know about it, but can’t see in entirely. So you search, and it adds a thrill and a clear objective. As good as that unused Clippers logo is or how fascinating the Baltimore Browns sweatshirt is, a lot of us are just learning about their existence.

If anyone has any pictures, videos, memories, or stories of logos, especially damaged or obscured for pictures and videos, that’s the meat and potatoes of this thread. Perhaps we can find some lost logos together. After all, I’ll search for any that matches the description immediately above.

If I recall right, I do remember at the time the NHL had awarded 2 expansion teams to Ottawa and Tampa Bay.. I know I saw the original Senators logo but I did see an original Tampa Bay Lightning script word logo that had showed up in the newspapers but cant find it anywhere.. any of ya guys might know of that one? Just wondering since it been so long since the time...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

On 5/6/2018 at 6:00 PM, PowderedWater said:

Baltimore Browns????

This adds to the evidence that the Ravens are the original Browns relocated

No :censored: Sherlock.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 5/6/2018 at 11:24 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

ia4ft05.png

I like this - like, I really like this - but it's too... drab. Here's a quick color change I made; I brightened the teal and got rid of grey entirely.

unknown.png

53Ocz8U.png

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

No :censored: Sherlock.

The "official" narrative claims the Ravens were an expansion team, while the Browns simply laid dormant in Cleveland for three years before resuming play.

The kicker is that Jacksonville and Carolina were handed stacked rosters via favorable expansion draft rules, presumably to help secure success in their new markets. Cleveland, on the other hand, slipped through the cracks - not important enough to keep their team, but established enough to get a restricted set of expansion rules that ensured mediocrity for years to follow.

6 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

The "official" narrative claims the Ravens were an expansion team and the Browns simply laid dormant in Cleveland for three years before resuming play.

If a football team can lie dormant, they should change their name to the Volcanoes. ;)

8 hours ago, C-Squared said:

The "official" narrative claims the Ravens were an expansion team, while the Browns simply laid dormant in Cleveland for three years before resuming play.

The kicker is that Jacksonville and Carolina were handed stacked rosters via favorable expansion draft rules, presumably to help secure success in their new markets. Cleveland, on the other hand, slipped through the cracks - not important enough to keep their team, but established enough to get a restricted set of expansion rules that ensured mediocrity for years to follow.

I see where you are coming from but I'd say it's a bit skewed IMO. Carolina and Jacksonville undoubtedly got advantages the other 4 post merger expansion team didn't get.

But rememeber it's not an exact science because each period is different. They wanted Seattle and Tampa to be balanced which is why they played in different in both conferences in their first couple of season. Timing helped Carolina and Jax as much as anything. They also didn't get the benefit of free agency and fast forward 20 years they didn't want a repeat of that Tampa disaster so they wanted to give them more picks so they could be competitive faster and also the 95 teams were started when free agency was in it's infancy so they weren't hit with the heavy salaries from other teams dumping players like what happened to Cleveland and Houston. Those of which the NFL desided to kick them down a few notches because of Carolina and Jacksonville being too good and better than expected and that ruffled some feathers and another reason it was edited was because the teams in 99 and 02 and didn't have to compete with an expansion brethren.

I will say from my recollection Cleveland 2.0 was thrown together kinda shoddy because the NFL was trying to get anyone they could to move there because they didn't want to expand again at the time after just adding 2 teams just a few years prior but no one moved and the NFL conceded and made it an expansion team. Also drafting Donovan McNabb instead of Tim Couch would've got them on started off on the right foot so I mean at the end of the day if the team drafts wisely it's gonna be alright and that goes for an establish or expansion.  I will be interested to see how they do it for 33 and 34 when the time comes. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

8 hours ago, C-Squared said:

So why Baltimore Browns? An expansion team taking the same name as an existing team? Surprised we didn't have Carolina Colts or Jacksonville Jets then. No matter how "official" they try to claim it, I know what happened.

Finally: hidden in the dark corners of my mind, a tale of a logo once seen-but never to be seen again.

I read an article about NHL relocations that almost happened, one of which being the Predators moving to Hamilton, ON. There was even an included Hamilton Predators logo.

And it was good.

Since then I’ve never found the article or the logo. If I do, however, I’ll edit it into this post.

Edit 1; This article mentions the possibility of the Hamilton Predators in 2007. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1389473-nhl-relocation-close-calls-seven-scares-that-never-happened.amp.html

Final Edit: here it

HAMPREDS.jpg

it’s a good one

On 5/6/2018 at 10:24 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

ia4ft05.png

Yeah, very 90s, colors and all, but it is a STUPID logo.

For a team called the Clippers, that is.

What does a crashing wave and sun rays have to do with a very fast sailing ship?  Nothing. Change the name to the Breakers, the Waves, the Surf, and you've got something.  Otherwise-- fail.

BUT, speaking of Lost Sports Logos, here's a real doozie.  The proposed logo to be used for the White Sox if they had moved to Tampa Bay in 1989 and become the Florida White Sox:

s-l300.jpg

I remembered seeing this logo on a TV news piece back in '88, when the Illinois legislature was voting on the new Comiskey.  Finally found it online.

It is what it is.

Archived