Lost Sports Logos?

PowderedWater

27 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

The Clippers haven't had an identity that incorporates a ship since they moved to LA 36 years ago. Which is fine. Plenty of teams don't visually incorporate their nickname into their branding in any significant way, including the Nets, Pistons, Warriors, Pacers, Lakers, Knicks, Thunder, Blazers, and Wizards. I personally think that there are a lot of cool design possibilities that reference clipper ships, but they're not exactly alone in going with an abstract design.

I get where you're coming from, but the thing is, that 90s design is not an ABSTRACT  or purely WORDMARK  design like most of your examples above, it features a picture of an actual THING (wave) that is almost always associated with another nickname [wave(s), breakers, tide(s), surf].

I think "non-referencing of nickname in design"  would be a good topic for discussion, and in fact was thinking a lot about it recently during the 1st round of the NBA playoffs. To keep this thread on topic, I will open new thread on that very topic using some of the examples you listed above.

It is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, Bmac said:

In 2001 the Omaha Golden Spikes were considering returning to the Omaha Royals name (and did so in 2002) and there was an article in the local paper that showed 3 or 4 possible logo options for the new Royals. They were printed in color and all featured the traditional blue and yellow color scheme. One was the logo they ended up using (a fairly generic "Royals" in front of an O) and one featured a lion. I don't recall the other options and I've never been able to find anything about this. I've been searching for years but can't find anything.

OH MY GOD I've been searching for 17 years and tonight at the game they had the proposed logos on display!

Screenshot_20180525-234655.png?format=25

On 5/5/2018 at 5:06 PM, chakfu said:

cmc6rbgd7rnhhi2p9h97kewik.gif

Original Hornets logo, I remember it on basketball cards and then never saw it again.  A version of the H was on the waistband.

Not sure if this has already been discussed at exhaustion on this board, but I just saw this Hornets jersey on a documentary about their arrival in the NBA. I know it's not a logo but it definitely was lost at some stage before the team started competing.

hrornets.png

3 hours ago, spillpronecanvas said:

Not sure if this has already been discussed at exhaustion on this board, but I just saw this Hornets jersey on a documentary about their arrival in the NBA. I know it's not a logo but it definitely was lost at some stage before the team started competing.

hrornets.png

This! It's from a VHS documentary called "Hornets Hysteria: The Season That Made Charlotte Shout." I own this VHS and posted about it a few years ago, but I don't have a VHS player anymore and couldn't get a screenshot. 

I knew I wasn't making things up when I posted about a purple-numbered Hornets jersey that was scrapped before it saw the court. Thanks for posting this!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

On 5/27/2018 at 6:07 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

This! It's from a VHS documentary called "Hornets Hysteria: The Season That Made Charlotte Shout." I own this VHS and posted about it a few years ago, but I don't have a VHS player anymore and couldn't get a screenshot. 

I knew I wasn't making things up when I posted about a purple-numbered Hornets jersey that was scrapped before it saw the court. Thanks for posting this!

No worries, I'v always been a fan of the Hornets OG logo & identity so it was neat to see this unexpectedly. Seems there was a period where Charlotte didn't have green or light blue pinstripes. I could be wrong though, the resolution is too low for my eye to tell. This uniform seems to align with the CH logo posted in this thread.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:46 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

This is '90s as hell, but good God I love this. I guess Sterling was too cheap to do this, too.

14158878168_b0e74b2498_b.jpg

I know digital design has come a long way in 20-25 years, but that wave is just ghastly, even for back then. :lol:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

16 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I know digital design has come a long way in 20-25 years, but that wave is just ghastly, even for back then. :lol:

It almost looks like bear arms trying to grab at the basketball.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 5/27/2018 at 6:07 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

The documentary is on YouTube here: 

The discussion of their logos and uniforms starts at about 2:05, and that jersey is shown at about 3:20.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

3 hours ago, kimball said:

Potential Memphis logo, with some tweaks of course? 

6 hours ago, kimball said:

I even thought it looked like a pair of hair clippers. Maybe it’s actually clever...

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 minutes ago, appleclock said:

chcB8Kf.jpg

Apparently Philly thought about introducing teal to their color scheme in the 90s, because, teal in the 90s.

Somewhere on these boards (maybe even in this thread?) is a mockup of the sweaters that were going to be worn. For what it's worth, I don't think it would have been totally awful...but they're better without it.

21 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Somewhere on these boards (maybe even in this thread?) is a mockup of the sweaters that were going to be worn. For what it's worth, I don't think it would have been totally awful...but they're better without it.

Yeah I found it over at Icethetics, along with a bunch of other awful 90s NHL stuff.

https://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/7/13/designing-the-90s-nhl-part-1-unfamiliar-flyers

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/fleur-de-glee_saints_logo_unif.html

Not lost sports logos related but lots of interesting tidbits I didn't know about the Saints uniform history and proposed changes that never panned out. Also, the Saints voted best uniforms in the league?? I'm as biased as they come when it comes to the Saints but we do not have the best in the league. We do have pretty good ones but the white on black is the absolute worst uni combo in the league. Burn the black pants and we do have some beauts. I would be ok with the occasional black on black but they've worn that out by wearing too often 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:56 AM, appleclock said:

chcB8Kf.jpg

Apparently Philly thought about introducing teal to their color scheme in the 90s, because, teal in the 90s.

Great find, that logo could still be utilised today.

Why did they never spell Flyers, PHLYERS?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

1 hour ago, tigers said:

Great find, that logo could still be utilised today.

in a "worst of the '90s" promotion.  That logo is trash from the top down.  Lightning bell, in-you-face puck, TEAL, demon wings, ridiculous font with shadows, awkward shape, the list goes on.  If you think that could be utilised today, I'd love to know where.  

1 hour ago, tigers said:

Why did they never spell Flyers, PHLYERS?

Because that would be stupid, and Ed Snider didn't do stupid things (with the exception of making his son the GM for a few years.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

in a "worst of the '90s" promotion.  That logo is trash from the top down.  Lightning bell, in-you-face puck, TEAL, demon wings, ridiculous font with shadows, awkward shape, the list goes on.  If you think that could be utilised today, I'd love to know where.  

Because that would be stupid, and Ed Snider didn't do stupid things (with the exception of making his son the GM for a few years.)

So you're saying he did stupid things then.

What's the difference between something that is an adjective and makes no sense to anyone outside of the local area and something that's made up that would be instantly recognised to be of that location? 

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

5 minutes ago, tigers said:

So you're saying he did stupid things then.

What's the difference between something that is an adjective and makes no sense to anyone outside of the local area and something that's made up that would be instantly recognised to be of that location? 

1. What's the adjective?

2. It makes as much sense inside and outside of the area.  There's nothing local-specific about the team name, at least nothing that I'm aware of.

3. There's no need for gimmicks.  If it was a minor-league team, or a small market just trying to get some attention, then sure. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived