Opinion: Too many teams with red and blue

29 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Missing the point... the Chiefs, Redskins, Packers, and Steelers all wear the same gold, but that chart has them in different places.

Not to mention, it spells Pittsburgh wrong. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bill81361 said:

What am I missing about this chart?  Official team colors?  Every team has a white road jersey, so it's used if "unofficially" by 4 teams.

Probably just the somewhat random decision by those teams to not list white as a team color. Washington lists it, but the Niners, Packers, and Chiefs don't... I'd say those teams all use white similarly.

10 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Probably just the somewhat random decision by those teams to not list white as a team color. Washington lists it, but the Niners, Packers, and Chiefs don't... I'd say those teams all use white similarly.

White is a requirement of the league for the primary color of the road jersey. If white isn't found anywhere else, then white isn't a color. If you have white pants, stripes, panels, numbers, etc then you have white as a color.

6 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

White is a requirement of the league for the primary color of the road jersey. If white isn't found anywhere else, then white isn't a color. If you have white pants, stripes, panels, numbers, etc then you have white as a color.

White isn't a requirement for your helmet logo, though. The Raiders, Packers, Chiefs and 49ers all use plenty of white in their helmet logo.

1 minute ago, msu said:

White isn't a requirement for your helmet logo, though. The Raiders, Packers, Chiefs and 49ers all use plenty of white in their helmet logo.

And the Steelers don't consider blue or red as their colors, either.

3 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

That's a fair point, but the Packers and 49ers also have white helmet stripes so at the very least those should be considered teams that use white in their uniforms.

1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think a team should do what's best for them regardless of what the rest of the league looks like.

Agree.  And in MLB, that probably means a lot of teams keeping long-used colors.  For some teams it could be trying to distinguish themselves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

52 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

True but I’m having a hard time seeing how white is a color for the Lions and not the Packers.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’ve long proposed a way for MLB to diversify (for some teams):

Red Sox: Forest Green/Red (simple color swap, no red caps after Bucky Dent killed them)

Cleveland: Navy/Light Blue, Maroon/Orange, etc.

Twins: Forest Green/Light Blue

Rangers: Brick Red/Slate Blue

Braves: Black/Red

Phillies: Maroon/Light Blue accents

Royals: Purple/Yellow

Of course, a lot of these identities are too set in stone now to really change. The rest of the majors should have followed Charlie O’s example in the 1960s. If navy/red can’t go, color distribution, accent colors, and fonts will work well enough.

I think the color swap you proposed for the Red Sox can also work for the Twins, only with purple replacing navy.

As for the Royals, adding powder blue to their palette would separate them enough from other teams.

The Braves briefly used a red, yellow and black combo when they were still in Boston.  I wouldn't mind seeing them going full circle to embrace that.

Cleveland could easily adopt the colors of one of the other teams in town.  They're not that far off from the Cavs as it is, and if the Padres won't do brown and orange, why not Cleveland?

100% on board with the Phils here.

The Rangers are a tough one, since there's logic to them being a RWB team.  I can't think of too many symbols of the DFW area (Texas flag, Mobil Oil, SMU)  that don't lend themselves to that scheme.  Maybe Maroon and Burnt Orange might work if A&M and UT alums don't shriek blasphemy.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:16 PM, Sykotyk said:

The Redskins ditched white pants after the 2012 season.http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/redskins.shtml   SF has more white stripes on their jersey sleeves than Washington and both use white numbers on their home jersey (along with the Packers and Chiefs and most, but not all, NFL teams).  Be that as it may, I agree with the earlier post that it's the team's discretion what they list.  

On 5/5/2018 at 1:19 PM, OnWis97 said:

True but I’m having a hard time seeing how white is a color for the Lions and not the Packers.

It also says the Patriots, who have a silver helmet and pants, and silver on their primary logo, don't have silver in their scheme.

This chart needs some serious work

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/4/2018 at 10:46 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

colors_mlb.jpg

The Cardinals should switched to red/black decades ago. Braves could've easily switched to black/red at some point after moving to Atlanta. Would've made a nice connection with the Falcons. The Indians could've easily tried different colors during any of their redesigns. 

Related image

The Indians could've easily tried different colors during any of their redesigns. These would've went a long way breaking up these boring, lazy (I'm sorry, "traditional") colors. The three royal blue and red teams are fine, imo.

MLB

Red Sox - Fine as is.

Indians - Their overall identity right now is a complete mess aesthetically. I wouldn't mind the addition of cream as it can be used with feather imagery if that so happened to be added. As long as they don't make themselves primarily red though; the Reds are already Ohio's red team.

Twins - Fine as is, but I wouldn't mind the usage of gold if it's used properly.

Angels - I don't even know if I could consider them a red and blue team since they fail to acknowledge the navy in their color scheme.

Rangers - Fine as is.

Braves - Fine as is.

Phillies - I'd be fine with red and blue or maroon (and I guess powder blue).

Nationals - Fine as is.

Cardinals - Fine as is, though like the Twins, the addition of yellow would be okay as a secondary-like color. Their own farm club does it pretty well.

The rest of the leagues are fine.

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

The Cardinals should switched to red/black decades ago.

Sure, but they've won a bunch of titles with navy in their color scheme, and most of them have come with navy as a dominant color in part of their identity. Navy is almost as important to their aesthetics and history as red. 

Braves could've easily switched to black/red at some point after moving to Atlanta. Would've made a nice connection with the Falcons.

Related image

I'll give you that one, due to the history of black within the identity and their navy almost looking black in vintage photographs. It wouldn't make sense to change now (especially seeing the team "white flight" away from Atlanta proper - where the black/red Falcons and Hawks play - to the suburbs), but it would've worked in 1966.

The Indians could've easily tried different colors during any of their redesigns. These would've went a long way breaking up these boring, lazy (I'm sorry, "traditional") colors. The three royal blue and red teams are fine, imo.

Cue @crashcarson15 doing his whole rant about how the Indians have had navy since the 1900s and red since the 1930s. They could have switched things up during their redesigns throughout the "dark times" of 1955-early '90s, but it didn't happen. Now, the team has had to play it safe with what they do change in their identity, trying to tone down/remove Wahoo while alienating as few people as possible.

Accusing navy/red of being boring/lazy is a bit of a step too far. It's more that the teams were concerned with preserving their traditional color schemes way back when, sticking with them to the point that they're integral to the fans' identity. I would object to new teams adopting navy/red, but the teams that have navy/red already should simply take little steps to differentiate themselves.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'll give you that one, due to the history of black within the identity and their navy almost looking black in vintage photographs. It wouldn't make sense to change now (especially seeing the team "white flight" away from Atlanta proper - where the black/red Falcons and Hawks play - to the suburbs), but it would've worked in 1966.

I don't think it makes any difference whether the stadiums sit in the city or the suburbs. They're all Atlanta's teams. The new stadium for the Braves might be in a more "convenient" spot for the average Atlanta baseball fan, but better believe those same fans are supporting the Falcons and Hawks.

14 hours ago, daveindc said:

I don't think it makes any difference whether the stadiums sit in the city or the suburbs. They're all Atlanta's teams. The new stadium for the Braves might be in a more "convenient" spot for the average Atlanta baseball fan, but better believe those same fans are supporting the Falcons and Hawks.

Realistically, it depends on the locale.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have a Brooklyn Dodgers team that would have chosen to move to the other coast rather than one borough over to Queens.

In Atlanta's case, the ITP-OTP rivalry is real, and the Braves decision to move outside of the perimeter made a statement whether they wanted to or not.  Knowing what I do about Georgia, having lived there for a bit, it's very likely the people attending Braves games in their new stadium aren't Falcons or Hawks fans.  It's more likely that they follow the Bulldogs, if anything.

14 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

MLB

Indians - Their overall identity right now is a complete mess aesthetically. I wouldn't mind the addition of cream as it can be used with feather imagery if that so happened to be added. As long as they don't make themselves primarily red though; the Reds are already Ohio's red team.

The biggest issue is refusing to establish a primary logo to replace Wahoo that can stand out. In 1994 they had their strongest look with the cursive Indians and Cleveland scripts. Then they changed the aways completely and took the piping off the homes. Following that up with the Block C that could be used for any team with C in the name and you have a horrible look that will get even worse next year unless they completely change their uniforms to fit around that Block C or a new logo. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here's every MLB team color I would change:

Royals - More Gold

Indians - With them getting rid of the Indian logo, I'd probably change the name and color scheme at this point but idk what to

Braves - Just darken the shade of blue like their alternates

Phillies - Maroon and White, no Powder Blue

Padres - Brown and Yellow, no Orange

Rays - Go back to Dark Green and devil ray mascot, but keep the name Rays

Marlins - Dolphins color scheme, or at least make the Dolphins Orange the main color

Brewers - Darken the Gold, like the Saints color rush jerseys

Reds - No more Black

Diamondbacks - Back to Purple and Green

If Montreal gets the Expos back they'll be Red and Blue. If Portland gets a team I hope they go with Green and dark gold, like the Timbers.

Archived