Teams that won a championship with their best uniform set

Ark

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Basically.   But lots of details were changed, and small details can still make a significant downgrade.

Basic rule of design - you don't put white stripes next to gold stripes.  It's a muddy mess.

2 hours ago, Spiderman92 said:

But the sleeves and socks on these did just that. The pattern is yellow-thin green-white-thin green-yellow repeat. Their current uniforms have a green stripe in between the yellow and white 

I'm afraid that's just not correct.  Lombardi's original road jersey striping pattern was green/gold/green/gold/green.  No white.  

Image result for 1960s packers jersey auction27_28841d_lg.jpeg

They kept that pattern until the 1980s.  

17521079%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Until they added white strips.

12626039%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

And that was a terrible mistake.  They should go back to Lombardi's original pattern.   White stripes and gold stripes should never touch.

The Packers won championships in both of their best uniforms, and I really wish those uniforms would return.

And while we're at it, they should stop silk-screening the stripes onto their sleeves.  But that might be a subject for another thread.  :P 

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Saints did not win a championship in their "best ever" uniform set, which was their inaugural / early one:

b950cc6cf53fec433d71e01266474d58.jpg

But at least they won the Super Bowl with this:

5b6d9a6580f94228841a30c8dccaa367.jpg?ito

and not this or this:

no-01-11-whiteblack-toddkirkland-vert-622e3x2qx.jpg

I think black pants can work for the Saints though. aabf025.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

So close, but I think we look slightly better with white TV numbers, like Archie and Eddie wore. Was very glad to have won with those sleeve stripes though, and a lot of our modern adjustments (striping size, the Buckeye leaves) have been good.

college-football-ohio-state-archie-griff

We looked perfect beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl that year. 

217a57740f2d52c8536cf0c5f024c783_crop_no

Even small details, like the Block O on the chest rather than the full primary logo, and wearing 7 buckeye leaves on the back neck for our championships, rather than the word "Buckeyes." So good.

To each his own.... I LOVE the black TV numbers.  That's the best part of that uniform.

I5Hpr5E0gg

1 hour ago, Spiderman92 said:

Yeah because they moved the numbers up and made the stripes smaller. Try fitting the numbers and stripes on the side. The Redskins uniforms almost never feature their sleeve stripes because most players sleeves are too short. Regardless the packers haven’t changed at all besides making the facemask green and slightly altering the white to be more consistent so I don’t get the concern

No one is suggesting they move the numbers back down... just that they should return to the road stripes that eliminate the white spacing...

s-bart-starr-quarterback-of-the-green-ba

I'm not sure why you can't see why some of us would not consider this  a small difference.  And the "concern" is that the white-less stripes just look better.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’ll add to that - every tweak they’ve made to their Super Bowl II look has been a downgrade as well. 

football-super-bowl-ii-green-bay-packers

They got it so right at the beginning and have been chipping away at perfection ever since. 

I can make some concessions for modern uniforms.  Specifically, shoulder numbers and modern facemasks which look better in color.  But apart from that?

Why they didn't wipe out every change Forrest Gregg made the moment they had the chance, I'll never know.

2 hours ago, Spiderman92 said:

But the sleeves and socks on these did just that. The pattern is yellow-thin green-white-thin green-yellow repeat. Their current uniforms have a green stripe in between the yellow and white 

you can’t just slap these jerseys on a modern Nike template it wouldn’t work most players wear short sleeves so the quad-stripes would be cut off for 90 percent of players even more so if you move the numbers back to the side. It’s meant to mimick their helmet stripe. Their current set also keeps the consistency

You can get a lot closer to these than the Packers uniforms currently are.  Case in point...

2003_thanksgiving_Walker.jpg

Absolutely.

And even if they had to go from 5 stripes to 3, they could keep the basic striping pattern intact.

DaW5Io6W0AA54E6.jpg

The white Color Rush pants use the historical striping, which looks so much better than the white road jersey stripes.

aaron-jones-rb-green-bay-packers-0-4-peraaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-autograptemp161012-packers-uniforms-bobber-10--n

There's no reason for the Packers to keep their current road jerseys; the striping doesn't look anywhere near as good as the classics, and to keep this on-topic they haven't even won a championship in them.  Original road jerseys?  1-0.  The modern ones?  0-1.   Time to change.

That concept is pretty sharp.  

I'm not as down on yellow touching white as some people are but yellow stripes can't touch white on both sides.  The sleeves on that Cobb jersey look OK because it's fairly up-close.  However, from afar it's a mess.

So if they did that to their road jersey, what would they do with their home?  I suppose they'd leave it.  I looks as if both jerseys were designed so yellow does not touch white on the home.  In my opinion, though, you could make the home jersey look like that road concept because yellow touching green on one side and white on the other is OK.  In any case, the current road jersey is far more egregious than a home jersey with a simple Y/W/Y sleeve would be.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

People may not like what im saying but this is the best the 49ers ever looked3c5ac49509ace2e55844134a3cb20509.jpg

I disagree, and I think what they're wearing now is their best set ever, for three reasons. The first is that they've fixed the gold, so that it actually looks relatively gold instead of dingy-khaki like Montana is wearing. The second is that they no longer have comically wide pants stripes - any photo of the 1980s 49ers from the side view made them look like clowns. The third is that the current white-red-white sleeve stripes beat the five-stripe model from the Montana years, because they echo the helmet and pants stripes. The only argument in favor of the 1980s uniform is the striped socks - if the current uniform added striped socks using the Braisher stripe, they would be perfect.

ct-spt-bears-biggs-jimmy-garoppolo-20171

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

2 hours ago, Chawls said:

I think black pants can work for the Saints though. aabf025.jpg

If they have stripes sure! I'd be on board. As there are it's awful though. Same with the Browns when they introduce stripeless brown pants, just terrible.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

To each his own.... I LOVE the black TV numbers.  That's the best part of that uniform.

I5Hpr5E0gg

That example is worse than the title game version since the numbers overlap the stripes... IDK, I love those jerseys even with the black TV numbers. I think they are cool, but if we were to go full time I feel like it'd need to be the classic white numbers.

I'll submit the 1948 Cleveland Indians for consideration:

6816390_1.jpg?v=8C9500CDB0605E0      1fbe9735dc2f9709116f0edd7ed79e47.jpg

The wishbone C is the best cap logo the club's ever worn, and it's a shame they went away from it, because now they can't go back. They stay consistent with navy caps and red bills (the best look) both home and away.

Navy is the clear primary color here, while red is a prominent secondary, as it should be with the Indians (which is something really hard to balance).

There's consistency between the jerseys -- the same gorgeous socks are used home and away, and the lettering is always red and outlined in navy (which also matches the cap).

I'd love for them to bring this jersey back tomorrow, sans the original Wahoo logo on the sleeves. It'd fix a lot of the issues with the current set.

6fQjS3M.png

Ravens championship season in 2000 was their best look.  Super Bowl 35.

Image result for super bowl 35

Then in Super Bowl 47 same exact white jerseys (except the mind boggling toilet seat collars), but the ugly Jane Fonda black leotards.

Image result for super bowl 47

I think the majority knows which championship uniforms were better!!

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

That concept is pretty sharp.  

I'm not as down on yellow touching white as some people are but yellow stripes can't touch white on both sides.  The sleeves on that Cobb jersey look OK because it's fairly up-close.  However, from afar it's a mess.

So if they did that to their road jersey, what would they do with their home?  I suppose they'd leave it.  I looks as if both jerseys were designed so yellow does not touch white on the home.  In my opinion, though, you could make the home jersey look like that road concept because yellow touching green on one side and white on the other is OK.  In any case, the current road jersey is far more egregious than a home jersey with a simple Y/W/Y sleeve would be.

I don't think that matching every detail in home and roads is necessarily a virtue.   I think the Packers had a great set in the first two Super Bowls.

17553934%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u13396892%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Sure, there would probably have to be some concessions to modern cuts and fabrics, so reduce the sleeve stripes.  TV numbers on shoulders.  But aside from those, the Packers should seek to replicate these two as closely as possible.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think that matching every detail in home and roads is necessarily a virtue.   I think the Packers had a great set in the first two Super Bowls.

17553934%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u13396892%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Sure, there would probably have to be some concessions to modern cuts and fabrics, so reduce the sleeve stripes.  TV numbers on shoulders.  But aside from those, the Packers should seek to replicate these two as closely as possible.

Those are two good looking jerseys.  One underappreciated detail is the lack of striped collar on the old version's home jersey.  Those multi-stripes around every players neck have run their course.

Archived