Failed Franchise Expansion & Relocations

kimball

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

I stand corrected and 5'9".  I wasn't aware of just what vagabonds they really were; I just knew that the Dorton Arena used to have "Home of the Carolina Cougars" up on its wall in the concourse back in the '90's.

Regional franchises are, however, a bad idea unless you have a real reason for doing it that way.  The last one I can remember making any sense was the Packers playing some games in Milwaukee.

Reminds me of how a lot of colleges used to do that. Except for Arkansas who still do that. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Reminds me of how a lot of colleges used to do that. Except for Arkansas who still do that. 

LetsBeStupidForever.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ah, for the days when aviation was a gentleman's pursuit! Back before every Joe Sweatsock could wedge himself behind a lunch tray and jet off to Raleigh-Durham.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/17/2018 at 4:54 PM, Mac the Knife said:

Had they landed a team even as far back as the 1970's they'd still have it today, if only because the people of Alabama are absolutely bonkers about football, and they're also dumb enough to be willing to fork over large amounts of public money to build stadia instead of doing things like funding public education.

Chuckle by JimmyLethal

Honestly, though, that would 100% be the case and it's pathetic. Imagine a shiny, state-of-the-art football stadium blaring the national anthem, surrounded by crumbling schools and decaying low-income neighborhoods... goddammit, I'm making myself angry again.

53Ocz8U.png

7 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Chuckle by JimmyLethal

Honestly, though, that would 100% be the case and it's pathetic. Imagine a shiny, state-of-the-art football stadium blaring the national anthem, surrounded by crumbling schools and decaying low-income neighborhoods... goddammit, I'm making myself angry again.

We aren’t that bad! But yeah you make a good point.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

In the winter of 1977, it looked certain that the Oakland A's were going to be sold to Marvin Davis and be moved to Denver for 1978. A Washington Post story published on December 18, 1977 noted that the deal was not yet entirely done yet, but nevertheless referred to "the former Oakland A's".

However, the deal fell through, according to a UPI story published on March 28, 1978, because "a problem arose over who would pay $3.25 million to the city of Oakland to fulfill terms of the A's lease".

A's owner Charlie Finley kept trying to reach a deal with Davis, and nearly succeeded in 1979.  The American League owners planned to discuss the potential relocation of the A's to Denver for 1980 in their winter meetings, according to an AP story published on November 7, 1979. But once again the parties couldn't find agreement on how to compensate the city of Oakland for the A's breaking the lease.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In the winter of 1977, it looked certain that the Oakland A's were going to be sold to Marvin Davis and moved to Denver for 1978....

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember that one as well... good one, Ferdinand.

It is what it is.

Archived