NC STATE ATHLETICS RELEASES NEW WORD MARKS AND CUSTOMIZED WOLFPACK FONT

RollWolfpack

8 minutes ago, RollWolfpack said:

News out of Raleigh. NC State has released a new customized font and wordmark. Kinda overdue in my opinion. Most of recent wordmarks from State have been very generic block letters.

NC State Athletics Releases New WordmarkGoPack_Header_74.jpg

Big time meh. It would be nice if the “S” had the diagonal flair on both ends. Schools need to consider something else besides these modified block fonts with random sharp edges.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

26 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Big time meh. It would be nice if the “S” had the diagonal flair on both ends. Schools need to consider something else besides these modified block fonts with random sharp edges.

It isn't horrible, but the diagonals on the C & S seem out of place. Especially when the official school logo uses a standard block S.

2 hours ago, GFB said:

As a typeface alone, it's a very nice remix of United Italic... Very similar to what the Miami Heat use, but executed better. 

I'm a fan.

letters.jpg

My only issue with the font is that the angled edges should be consistent.. When a letter feels like it should have one in a certain spot, but doesn't, it looks off 

26 minutes ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Should be interesting to see if the hoops team does something on the Heat template.

I mean, Rhode Island once did ...

rhodyfront-760x500.jpg

Interestingly enough, wouldn't be the first go at that template/neckline for the Pack...this rejected design from 2006-2007 was awful(ly similar).

nc-state-jersey-09-rejected.jpg

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

So they're moving away from the recent introduction of the United Serif family to this. I don't mind it, but that's <sarcasm>designspeak</sarcasm> to say that it's inspired by Univers. That's saying any sans serif font is inspired by Univers.

It's inspired by Machine, or most any other block sans serif font.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not a fan of the numbers, too sharp and busy. State has a tendency to be too loud with some of their word marks, but the font as letters look ok - I'll reserve judgement to see how it's truly implemented. I just wish we could have a font similar to what Georgia currently wears, they rock red/black just about perfectly. But at the same time you don't just want to look like a knock-off of another school, its a tough balance.

3 hours ago, frosty06306 said:

Not a fan of the numbers, too sharp and busy. State has a tendency to be too loud with some of their word marks, but the font as letters look ok - I'll reserve judgement to see how it's truly implemented. I just wish we could have a font similar to what Georgia currently wears, they rock red/black just about perfectly. But at the same time you don't just want to look like a knock-off of another school, its a tough balance.

Numbers look a cross between the Falcons and Texans.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Still trying to recall the last custom font (for ANY team) that didn't look horrible. It was probably a non-italicized, random angle/triangle-notched block font, but can't come up with it. 

7 hours ago, ScottieH4 said:

Still trying to recall the last custom font (for ANY team) that didn't look horrible. It was probably a non-italicized, random angle/triangle-notched block font, but can't come up with it. 

Georgia?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I’m curious to see if this comes with a custom number font across all sports. There are too many red and white teams with traditional block numbers, so if they handle it right this could be good.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 minute ago, TenaciousG said:

I’m curious to see if this comes with a custom number font across all sports. There are too many red and white teams with traditional block numbers, so if they handle it right this could be good.

Numbers.jpg

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

8 hours ago, ScottieH4 said:

Depends on if you are talking about a custom typeface for wordmarks or custom font for jersey numbering. I think there are a lot of really strong wordmarks out there, but a lot of really bad number fonts (Florida, WVU, Syracuse, etc...)

21 hours ago, WavePunter said:

My only issue with the font is that the angled edges should be consistent.. When a letter feels like it should have one in a certain spot, but doesn't, it looks off 

It may not be consistent from letter to letter, but there does appear to be logic to the angles... Any overhanging element to the right, the highest section gets the angled cut. So the H gets nothing, the L gets an angled cut, and the E also gets an angled cut, but it’s on the highest bar instead. 

2 hours ago, GFB said:

It may not be consistent from letter to letter, but there does appear to be logic to the angles... Any overhanging element to the right, the highest section gets the angled cut. So the H gets nothing, the L gets an angled cut, and the E also gets an angled cut, but it’s on the highest bar instead. 

The T doesn't follow that same rule.. The K could, but also doesn't.. The P, R, and K use random angles in the middle of the letter in a style that isn't carried over to other letters.. It's not a terrible looking font, but it's not great either 

Archived