NC STATE ATHLETICS RELEASES NEW WORD MARKS AND CUSTOMIZED WOLFPACK FONT

RollWolfpack

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The T doesn't follow that same rule.. The K could, but also doesn't.. The P, R, and K use random angles in the middle of the letter in a style that isn't carried over to other letters.. It's not a terrible looking font, but it's not great either 

Never said it was perfect or totally consistent... I can’t speak for the lack of a cut on the T or Z, but you can’t cut the upper diagonal of the K because that angle is too tough. Also, using an inner cut on the A, B, P, and R (I would have liked to have seen a similar cut on the Q) is another way to continue the one-angle motif and also keeping the integrity of the letters. The K naturally lends itself to that sort of composition. 

I’m not going to defend the number font, because there’s a whole batch of contradictory decisions that make no sense there (WHY IS THE 3 CUT THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION FROM EVERY OTHER CHARACTER)... but as a typeface I think it’s visually appealing.

20 hours ago, frosty06306 said:

Not a fan of the numbers, too sharp and busy. State has a tendency to be too loud with some of their word marks, but the font as letters look ok - I'll reserve judgement to see how it's truly implemented. I just wish we could have a font similar to what Georgia currently wears, they rock red/black just about perfectly. But at the same time you don't just want to look like a knock-off of another school, its a tough balance.

I agree with this. The numbers don't look like they fit the letters. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

32 minutes ago, GFB said:

Never said it was perfect or totally consistent... I can’t speak for the lack of a cut on the T or Z, but you can’t cut the upper diagonal of the K because that angle is too tough. Also, using an inner cut on the A, B, P, and R (I would have liked to have seen a similar cut on the Q) is another way to continue the one-angle motif and also keeping the integrity of the letters. The K naturally lends itself to that sort of composition. 

I’m not going to defend the number font, because there’s a whole batch of contradictory decisions that make no sense there (WHY IS THE 3 CUT THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION FROM EVERY OTHER CHARACTER)... but as a typeface I think it’s visually appealing.

The 3 is cut exactly like everything else.. It's the 2 that's different.. The 2 is the only character that has the longer end of the point on the outside, while the other numbers have it on the inside (3, 5, 6, 7, & 9 are all similar; 1 & 4 don't have any vertical serifs, but are cut similar to each other; 0 & 8 have none whatsoever; and 2 is the only one with the "point" furthest from center)

8 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

Numbers.jpg

I don't get the point of this graphic. It's not like the Vikings which have specific shapes depending on which digit of the number pair they are. Each number here is the same regardless of whether it's a single digit, a one or a ten.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

1 hour ago, slapshot said:

I don't get the point of this graphic. It's not like the Vikings which have specific shapes depending on which digit of the number pair they are. Each number here is the same regardless of whether it's a single digit, a one or a ten.

I like it because it lets you see every possible number so that you can get a better evaluation of the font as a whole.

21 hours ago, ScottieH4 said:

Still trying to recall the last custom font (for ANY team) that didn't look horrible. It was probably a non-italicized, random angle/triangle-notched block font, but can't come up with it. 

I’m biased, but:

613487256-washington-state-v-stanford.jp

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

5 hours ago, slapshot said:

The presence of (and even the language in) the header makes it seem more like an internal presentation page rather than a graphic that’s intended to be used as a media tool, so in that sense, there’s not really much informational value to the graphic.

if you’re wondering why someone would lay out all the numbers even though there are no “left/right” pairings, there are a few reasons. One, it’s simply the proper due diligence to look at all the possibilities just to make sure there aren’t any strange interactions between certain numbers (I didn’t make these, but this is a standard part of my personal process as well). For reference, the best way to do this is to make a symbol of each number, then set up a 10x10 grid showing each pair. Once you have that template, you can simply edit the ten symbols in the document and the pairs are basically generated for you.

I feel it also helps guide equipment staff if you, as the designer, feel that certain pairings need more or less space between the two numbers or if you feel that certain pairings should be centered differently than others.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived