2018 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIII

canzman

6 hours ago, simtek34 said:

I'm surprised, but at the same time I should have seen it coming. The Rams throwbacks are amazing and should be the Primaries yes, but I really wanted to see the Cowboys wearing their Navy Jerseys/Real Silver Pants.

Too bad the NFL won't allow the Rams to wear their all yellow color rush against the Cowboys navy jerseys.  That would be something to talk about.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Oh, but people don't mind if it's red vs red or green vs green.

A yellow-heavy matchup like LAR-GB, for instance, doesn’t bother me nearly as much as a navy-heavy matchup like NE-LAC because the former doesn’t remind me so much of this leagues awful navy epidemic. At this point, the color is about as neutral to me as black or white. I’ve seen some matchups in the past couple of years (SEA-HOU, SEA-LAR, etc.) where only ONE uniform element between the two teams wasn’t navy. It’s wretched.

37 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

It makes me so sad that the Texans stopped wearing red socks. Lovely balance with that combo. 

I would love to see these become the primary looks:

texans.png

I could jive with that.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

32 minutes ago, kimball said:

I could jive with that.

Same here--while keeping the Liberty White-out for their regular season home opener, re-introducing the red pants for "Battle Red Day" to wear with the red tops; and use the color rush kit for "Deep Steel Blue" games.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, BrianLion said:

you could really salvage Sunday if the Saints would just wear their damn gold pants. 

I think the mono-black are the official home uniforms, but I also remember someone saying they choose to wear them because "the fans like them".

6 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Do coaches really have that much say in the uniform?

It depends. The best example for this is the late Al Davis, who used to be the head coach when he arrived in Oakland, changing the Raiders' overall look to the familiar silver-and-black.

Nothing from the '60s, '70s, '80s, or early '90s matters.  It's a different world now, and no coach is going to say "I want to add Northwestern stripes to the sleeves and pants" and then get it done. 

1. Uni changes take 2 seasons.  So by the time a new coach takes over, that offseason is already lost, so it's essentially 3.  A lot of new-hire coaches don't even make it to year three.

2.  Everything is about marketing and merch, and while a coach could certainly express his opinions and vision to the front office, it kinda doesn't matter.  If a team's gear is selling well, then they probably won't care what the coach says.  If not, they're probably already well underway with a redesign, and won't really care what the coach says.  

3.  In the old days, every team had its own supplier, and (in the real old days) the coach could just work directly with them to get whatever design he wanted (that conversation usually consisted just colors and stripes, not like today where there's infinite font choices, wordmark placement, multiple templates, etc.)  

4.  You think NIKE is going to be like "yes sir - whatever you want sir" to some rookie head coach that won't even be employed in a couple of seasons?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, DouglasQuaid said:

I agree it was a great look last year. They need to incorporate red more.

9754945-lamar-miller-nfl-jacksonville-ja

I think the Texans should switch to R/W for home, and W/R on the road. The AFC South is so heavy on blue/dark colors that red would be a much better and give more diversity to that division.

Archived